Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:19:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 106582 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 23, 2022, 11:08:27 PM »

Venice is beautiful but I have no reason to ever come back here.

Sad! What happened?

Tourist trap with no trace of organic human life and fast food restaurants that demand way too many logins to gain wi-fi access. I also insisted on walking from the mainland to the island (my fault), which had me in a foul mood. Also sooo many effing pigeons.

This is fair but you lose all of your complaint points for going to a fast food restaurant, smh. It is said that the best time to see Venice is at night or dawn (and then go into hiding when it becomes crammed I guess).

For whatever reason my phone data was garbage so I did as any American would and sought out the nearest embassy (McDonald's/KFC). Also the fact that in Europe it seems bathroom require paid access, and that I was not cash heavy at the time, had me tend towards familiar territory with (presumed) known rules. I eventually found my footing, however. I was also on day 10 of this trip and had little sleep, so was feeling a bit stretched. Tongue

And it was quite beautiful at night.

Last time I was in Venice was early '94 and travelling with a "Gal Friend" and not a "Girl Friend", after we had spent time on a multiple month European College tour.

Twas in December of '93 when our trained rolled into Venice.

Tons of greeters at the railroad station offering discount hotel rents, and we ended up getting promised a sweet suite for so much cheaper than a youth hostel.

Fine we take the bite and go to the hotel on the main island, within very close walking to pretty much everything.

Took us three times to go back downstairs to speak to the hotel MGMT staff and once again explain that we are not a couple and separate beds is the minimum requirement.

Still, sometimes best to go to Venice, or other places along the Adriatic in the Winter vs the Summer to get the cheapest lodgings for those travelling on a budget.

Very trippy wandering through the streets of Venice outside of the posh and tourist zone back then, and seeing hammer and sickles spray paint graffiti, not to mention posters supporting the local Italian Communist Party candidates in one of the most working-class neighborhoods of Venice.

Venice is all right, just best to stay away from the obvious tourist traps, spend time in neighborhoods where the workers actually live, and not get caught up in all the hype. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies