DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:02:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40767 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »

Keep thinking that it doesn't require the lifting of the Fillibuster I am honestly waiting to know

You don't know everything, otherwise you would be on TV not on Atlas making comments

Literally among the strangest comments I've ever read...

Frankly, one of OC’s more coherent contributions. Filibuster is inevitable.

Except it isn't
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »

Still of the belief that if Manchin, Sinema, and other Senate Dem tries to kill this bill on the basis of "muh senate rules" their political careers will be dashed, dead, and destroyed.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 02:26:13 PM »

Still of the belief that if Manchin, Sinema, and other Senate Dem tries to kill this bill on the basis of "muh senate rules" their political careers will be dashed, dead, and destroyed.

Manchin is very likely retiring in 2024 anyway and Sinema still thinks playing the "independent Democrat" by upholding out of time senate rules is doing her a favor at home in Arizona.

Manchin is open to it (DC statehood), and Sinema will absolutely be punished at home if she kills it in the senate
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 02:46:01 PM by CookieDamage »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do y'all think Douglass would divide the new state into different counties and municipalities? Like would Georgetown be made into a new municipality with its own mayor and council? Who would be made governor until the next election, Bowser?

EDIT: I actually doubt any new counties would be made, but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see some outer neighborhoods be granted independent municipal status.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 02:58:26 PM »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do y'all think Douglass would divide the new state into different counties and municipalities? Like would Georgetown be made into a new municipality with its own mayor and council? Who would be made governor until the next election, Bowser?

This is speculation, but I imagine that it would remain as one municipality where the city and state governments are one and the same, with just semantic changes (city council->state legislature, mayor->governor).  Municipal services are all already provided by the DC government, and there isn't really any major desire for any particular areas of the city to split off.

Muriel Bowser would certainly be the first governor, and I'm sure that she would run for reelection.

Wouldn't there need or be a strong desire for a separate mayor and council different from the state legislature and gov?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »

This is speculation, but I imagine that it would remain as one municipality where the city and state governments are one and the same, with just semantic changes (city council->state legislature, mayor->governor).  Municipal services are all already provided by the DC government, and there isn't really any major desire for any particular areas of the city to split off.

Muriel Bowser would certainly be the first governor, and I'm sure that she would run for reelection.

Wouldn't there need or be a strong desire for a separate mayor and council different from the state legislature and gov?

Not really, no. The point of statehood is 1) representation in Congress, and 2) self-governance free of congressional control. Once those are achieved through statehood, there's not really any need to split up what is currently a functioning municipal government into multiple new municipalities, or to have a redundant city government that covers the exact same area and population as the state government.

True, there really isn't a requirement to go beyond what is necessary in terms of state government composition.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 09:46:52 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-ambitions-narrow-political-reality-185504886.html

SORRY TO SPOIL YOUR FUN ON DC STATEHOOD KING IS UNDECIDED ON DC STATEHOOD SO STATEHOOD ISNT INEVITABLE

Will you shut up man?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 01:48:13 AM »

If yall think King is gonna kill this you are not serious thinkers
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »

Bill passes house
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »

The inane takes in this thread...
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »

Unless the filibuster gets removed or modified, DC Statehood is unfortunately not going to pass the Senate.

Also, Manchin is non-committal/undecided on DC Statehood. Sinema has been silent on this as well.

There's a case that DC statehood doesn't require filibuster
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »

Did Any D's vote against it or anr Rs vote for it or was it just across party lines?

What I've read is that it was Party line
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »

Hm Reps will try really hard to fillabuster this but I think Senate D's know that if they don't want to solely rely on Manchin or Sinema's vote to get anything done getting this passed is their number one priority so I expect the next several weeks to have a pretty length battle in the senate with R's doing everything they can to delay and stop a vote on it.

Dems absolutely need to treat this like a priority. Sinema and Manchin might very well support this in order to have more freedom to vote as they wish on things, and 2 more seats helps keep them in the majority.

Furthermore, I wouldn't be shocked to see them modify the filibuster if its needed to make DC a state. Some of yall take every word they say as gospel.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »

Unless the filibuster gets removed or modified, DC Statehood is unfortunately not going to pass the Senate.

Also, Manchin is non-committal/undecided on DC Statehood. Sinema has been silent on this as well.

There's a case that DC statehood doesn't require filibuster

What’s the case?

I want it to happen, I just don’t see it.

The Democrats can override the filibuster on grounds that admitting states to the union is not an act of legislation. That way they can get DC statehood with 51 voters while keeping the fillibuster to appease people Sinema and Manchin.

The problem is that that would likely require overriding the parliamentarian. Manchin has been mixed enough I think he wouldn't be the deciding vote against, but that other one?

If Sinema was facing the prospects of being the ONLY dem to oppose DC statehood she would rethink. With the filibuster and min wage thing she was joined by other Dems opposing it. But if she's the only one opposing DC statehood the hellfire unleashed upon her would be so intense and singular.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 06:37:09 PM »

I don’t want to be a doomer, but I really don’t see it happening.

Republicans will do absolutely everything they can to stop it.  And it’s possible not all Democrats are even on board.

I hope I’m wrong.

except you are a doomer...
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »

King, Kelly, Manchin, Sinema, have all expressed reservation about statehood so I would celebrate yet

No they haven't. They've all said something along the lines of "i have to look more into it" which is nowhere near a reservation and especially nowhere near opposition.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2021, 06:32:50 PM »

If DC becomes a state, will the US House size be increased to 436? And will it stay that way after the 2020 reapportionment?

Also when would elections be held for DC's two hypothetical senators and its representative in Congress?

By the way, the idea somebody mentioned earlier about adding Arlington County, Virginia into DC to make it bigger sounds based. Is there popular support for it?

In a word: no.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2021, 05:23:50 PM »

"Hey political party in power, here's a bill that will permanently increase your power relative to the other party, it's totally constitutional, AND you get to have the moral high ground legitimately, to the point where you'll be forever remembered as immoral if you don't do it!"

No political party in the world is ever going to pass up a chance like that. It may take some negotiating, some grandstanding, but every single organization in the world would ultimately do it. You know Republicans would have by Feburary. Democrats will get this done.

VenMo bet? $50 for me if 2022 midterms end with No state added. $250 for
You.

Not interested in anything like that.

Even if Manchin hadn't left himself a gaping out, this wouldn't be over. There will be lots of dealings and political pressures, carrots and sticks. Let the process play out.

This certainly isn't over. It's just not as certain as I believed. And the doomers are still being insufferable as they always are.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies