The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:33:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are colleges good for bad for the US?
Good (D/lean D)

Good (R/lean R)

Bad (D/lean D)

Bad (R/lean R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows  (Read 9254 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 17, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »

I can't wait to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars so that my kid can go to a diploma mill and learn to hate me for being part of the white-male power structure.

So you'd prefer people to be stupid. Got it.

Based on his post, it's apparently a family tradition
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »

One could write a book to fully address this question. There are many ways in which they contribute positively and many ways in which they contribute negatively. I am not comfortable approaching it as a simple yes or no.

You're joking? You seriously think that the existence of American universities has an ambiguous effect on the US as a country?

That anyone would even consider that is one of the most moronic things I've heard. Jesus Christ.

No, saying college education is a bad thing as the most moronic thing. The saying it's ambiguous is only second place.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »

One could write a book to fully address this question. There are many ways in which they contribute positively and many ways in which they contribute negatively. I am not comfortable approaching it as a simple yes or no.

You're joking? You seriously think that the existence of American universities has an ambiguous effect on the US as a country?

That anyone would even consider that is one of the most moronic things I've heard. Jesus Christ.

They have done a lot of good historically. They still do a lot of good today, but L.D. Smith is right; the system is deeply flawed. We shouldn't look at only the good and ignore the role they have played in the proliferation of debt among naive young adults or trends in admissions that have promoted social stratification, just to name a couple of problems associated with higher education today.

Don't you have like a master's or Ph.D?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example).

What matters is that someone 22 years old comes out of college better than he was at age 18 -- with a broader view of reality, more intellectual openness, better at communications, being able to address ethical issues, and having better ways to find happiness. Truth be told, brilliant 18-22-year-olds are bulls in the china shop in business and industry; 18-22-year-old dullards are useful even if not very productive. The University has been the playground for bright young men so that they don't shake up the wrong things when they are most tempted to do so since the Middle Ages. Getting a little older and more intellectually-refined, no matter what the field, they are less likely to shake things up, whether in theology or in politics.

Republicans are now heavily the party of the white dullard, someone with a cr@ppy job and whose behavior off the job doesn't matter so long as he doesn't shake things up  (as with crime or drugs). So what if he vegetates on  an easy chair in front the Idiot Screen watching vapid sitcoms, reality programming, witless movies, or televised sports while getting fat on snacks and either sugary or alcoholic drinks? Maybe he will die of a fatal heart attack at age 46 -- after his children are in the workforce -- so that his Social Security contributions are forfeit. Such implies more funds for the educated elite, even if being elite means that one is 'merely' a schoolteacher or clergy.   

Sure, educated people would consider such a way of life little more attractive than a prison term -- but educated people are the ones making the good money. They will retire with a pension, some savings, and Social Security payments... and go traveling to Berlin, Bora-Bora, Buenos Aires, and Beijing as they always dreamed of doing because they are healthy in their seventies instead of having dropped dead while bigger than the average bear.       

Ask republicans about different programs and see their response

If you asked what's your opinion of computer science,engineering,medical ,Accounting/Finance , management programs I bet the answer is overwhelmingly positive.

But if you asked about liberal arts , activist , law  programs the answer will be overwhelmingly negative.

In the point is, that is an amazingly ignorant response. I mean short-sighted to the point of of blindness. It's based on this misconceived notion that anyone coming out of college nowadays with a liberal arts degree he said they're going to become a lawyer, Community activists, or a barista.

Hey, here's a hot take, something like 95% of individuals are employed in a field unrelated to their undergraduate degree. Republicans trying to look at a liberal arts education as some sort of job training school are misled, not to mention missing the point that you still need a damn degree to succeed in today's Marketplace.

The point is to teach critical thinking and Analysis. This is why Republicans like you are frightened to s*** about higher education, because the more that spreads the weaker your electoral prospects are. And if that means f****** over our National Economic viability in the process, so be it.

No nothing is at its finest
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies