NFL's Non-Profit status
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:25:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  NFL's Non-Profit status
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should we revoke it or not?
We should revoke it

We shouldn't

I don't care about the NFL

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: NFL's Non-Profit status  (Read 269 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:17 AM »

New Poll.

We should, though not for the reasons most people want to - I'm not sure why we should be giving the NFL, or any sports organization for that matter, what is basically a tax subsidy. The domestic violence addition is disturbing, but there are better reasons to revoke to the NFL's non-profit status.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:07:49 AM »

It's important to note that the NFL's profit comes mostly from the teams themselves.  The teams are paying taxes, it's just the league office which is considered a non-profit trade organization.   

That said, it's a no-brainer to me, treat the NFL as a for-profit corporation because that's obviously what it is.  The NFL pays their Commissioner around $45 million dollars per year.  That says it all, non-profits don't pay their CEO $45 million dollars per year, they don't pay them a tiny fraction of that.  The NFL truly is not a trade organization made up of disparate groups, it's a business monopoly that goes around extorting money from cities, manipulating the media, severely injuring their players and making ungodly amounts of money for a tiny number of the super rich. 

I love football, but the NFL is an evil monopoly that uses their power to hide the facts from the public.  They hide their government handouts, they hide the data on their players horrendous injuries, they hide their players' misconduct and they use their control the corporate media like ESPN to hide the truth from the public.  Not only that, we all have to pay for their giant stadiums and their commissioner's $45 million dollar salary.  It's disgusting.

We should take away their tax exempt status as a first step in reigning in this evil behemoth.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »

What bedstuy said minus the part about loving football...

Hey bedstuy, look, we agree on something! Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

We deserve better sports journalism than the trash on ESPN.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »

We deserve better sports journalism than the trash on ESPN.

ESPN is to the NFL as Fox News is to the Republican Party.  You can't pretend to engage in journalism when you also enter into a multi-billion dollar contract with the main league.

What bedstuy said minus the part about loving football...

Hey bedstuy, look, we agree on something! Wink

I don't think anyone is going to defend the NFL any more than I did.  But, we probably agree on a lot of things anyway.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies