Some Republican candidates coming out to support Kim Davis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:55:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Some Republican candidates coming out to support Kim Davis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some Republican candidates coming out to support Kim Davis  (Read 4486 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 05, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »

I predict here and now that Kim Davis will be a featured speaker at the GOP National Convention.  She's an elected Democrat, so she'll represent the last squeezing of the grapes from the vine of  the "I didn't leave the Democratic Party!  They left me!" tree.  (Just about all of these folks are either dead, or became Republicans on or before 2010.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »

There are serious conflicting principles here.  On the one hand, there is the principle that SCOTUS Justices should base their decisions on what the Constitution says, not what social policy should be if they were legislators.  The other principle is that of the Rule of Law, which separates us from any number of Failed States.  This principle being operative depends on the orders of Courts being obeyed.

Kim Davis should have quit as clerk if she could not have obeyed a lawful Court order out of conscience.  That she has chosen the path she has is a negative from several perspectives:

1.  From a legal point of view, if her actions are allowed to stand, it will allow all sorts of "religious exemptions" to stand, including, IMO, the excusing of Muslim elected officials from lawful public duties due to conflicts with Sharia Law.

2.  From a practical point of view, her actions, if allowed to stand, will encourage disregarding Court orders for all sorts of reasons.  Tax resisters, child support deadbeats, spouses in violation of custody and visitation orders, folks engaging in unfair labor practices and REAL discrimination (not the faux "discrimination" claimed by this issue) will be encouraged in their defiance of lawful court orders.  To say nothing of how large corporate interests with deep pockets will react to this in their response to judgments and orders against them.

3.  From a Christian point of view, I see what Kim Davis has done as an immature response, probably carried out after the "boosting" of other immature Christians with politicized motives who can't separate the two.  The response to her has brought focus on her multiple marriages, divorces, and childbearing out of wedlock, and blurred the focus on the forgiveness of all sin from God which comes with Salvation.  It also puts Christians in the light of being irresponsible law-breakers, which very few are.  It will bring down unnecessary persecution of other Christians, while making her a celebrity, which will have benefits for her, but not for the earnest spreading of the Gospel.  The last thing Christendom needs is one more "martyr" in the Huckabee tradition, when there are so many real martyrs around the world who, truly, "love not their lives, even unto death".  If I want to see real persecuted Christians, I will need to travel to China, Iraq, or Sudan, to name a few places; there, people suffer horribly, and without celebrity status.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »

She's an HP, but she doesn't deserve jail.

Yes she does; she broke the law.

She's an HP, but she doesn't deserve jail.

She is an elected official who is refusing to do her duty as required by the law. Dereliction of duty is grounds for jail time, period. She isn't in jail because of her beliefs.

Excuse me, she shouldn't deserve jail. Imprisonment should only be used for those who are a physical threat to society, and Kim Davis is simply not one. Of course, she should be fired, but that's a different story.

The "firing" could only come through impeachment by the KY legislature, which is not currently in session.

The Court could, perhaps, order her not to go to work or perform any official duties of her position until the matter was resolved at a later date, but they couldn't "suspend" her without pay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies