If Evers gives Walker the boot in November....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:58:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Evers gives Walker the boot in November....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ... and Republicans retain control of the legislature, will they attempt to amend the state constitution in 2020 to remove the Governor's veto power over redistricting?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: If Evers gives Walker the boot in November....  (Read 1243 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »

I definitely think Wisconsin Republicans have it in them to be this petty, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it since not losing the state Senate this cycle could still leave it at-risk in 2020, so such an amendment might not even amount to much in the end.

Either way, I still have a feeling we might see Republicans try this in at least one state that they lose the Gov's office in but still retain the legislature, assuming any state central to GOP gerrymandering plans results in such a situation.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »

almost certainly, sadly
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »

I definitely think Wisconsin Republicans have it in them to be this petty, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it since not losing the state Senate this cycle could still leave it at-risk in 2020, so such an amendment might not even amount to much in the end.

Either way, I still have a feeling we might see Republicans try this in at least one state that they lose the Gov's office in but still retain the legislature, assuming any state central to GOP gerrymandering plans results in such a situation.

I could see them trying, but it would fail so bad at the polls.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:30:15 PM »

If Republicans in North Carolina get defeated over their attempted coup against Roy Cooper, Wisconsin Republicans might take a step back from such a move.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:48:29 PM »

It would need to be approved by voters as well. The odds of people giving this scheme the thumbs up is almost zero.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »

When they do, somewhere in a Georgetown townhouse, Sam Alito will be smiling to himself.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »

They will TRY, but they won't succeed.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »

No, because the D controlled state supreme court would block it.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »

I wish Maryland Democrats would do this just in case Hogan wins re-election.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

Hogan already can't veto legislative maps and it takes only 60% to overturn a veto for the congressional maps, which the Democrats are clearly over.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »

Hogan already can't veto legislative maps and it takes only 60% to overturn a veto for the congressional maps, which the Democrats are clearly over.

Actually, Congressional map vetos cannot be overturned in any circumstance in Maryland.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »

Didn't Republicans in North Carolina take away gubernatorial powers in a last minute action before Roy Cooper took office? So, I wouldn't be shoked if they do it all over again in Wisconsin.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »

They'll probably at least try.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »

Didn't Republicans in North Carolina take away gubernatorial powers in a last minute action before Roy Cooper took office? So, I wouldn't be shoked if they do it all over again in Wisconsin.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in more than a couple states to the point where it becomes national news. Having 3-4 or more states where Republicans get booted from power up and down ballot but use their lame duck session to strip power from the incoming Democrats would look incredibly corrupt and petty.

Not sure how many would try this though. North Carolina Republicans are exceptionally savage and corrupt, so they might not be the best example to go by.
UncleSam

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »

Unlikely but possible. Rs don’t need to gerrymander in Wisconsin since Dane and Milwaukee are such natural D vote sinks, and I think that Rs are feeling the heat after a string of legislative losses in special elections. They’re not crazy like their counterparts in NC and they will probably learn from that example as well.

Of course partisanship can trump all so I would hardly call it an outlandish theory of what will happen.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »

It would need to be approved by voters as well. The odds of people giving this scheme the thumbs up is almost zero.

Beyond that, they need to pass it in two consecutive sessions, which means they have to retain both houses in 2020, and then pass it, for it to be considered by the electorate AFTER 2022, by which time new maps are drawn.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 05:20:42 PM »

Unlikely but possible. Rs don’t need to gerrymander in Wisconsin since Dane and Milwaukee are such natural D vote sinks, and I think that Rs are feeling the heat after a string of legislative losses in special elections. They’re not crazy like their counterparts in NC and they will probably learn from that example as well.

Of course partisanship can trump all so I would hardly call it an outlandish theory of what will happen.

Yeah, they're incredibly crazy, you just don't hear about it as much. State legislature said, after a high speed chase in the exurbs that left her constituents "cowering in fear" that if Milwaukee can't control crime the Republicans should reduce their funding for police. (They've already done this by millions with taking away state revenue sharing).
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »

They can try this but some states Supreme courts might rule excluding the Governor is unconstitutional and needs to be done through the amendment process and not a bill.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »

In view of the utter collapse of support for Donald Trump and Scott Walker in Wisconsin since 2016 and 2014, respectively, one can only imagine how badly Republican state legislator are faring. Republicans may want a non-partisan may want a non-partisan method of re-apportioning state legislative districts.

So would I. Gerrymandering is good for consolidating power quickly only to lose respect  in a few years, as has happened in Congressional races, such may have happened (and we will see if it has happened in November).
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »

If Scott Walker wins, I am moving out of Wisconsin.
Checkard
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »

If Scott Walker wins, I am moving out of Wisconsin.

Bye Waukesha!
ajwiopjawefoiwefnwn
JaydonBrooks
Rookie
United States
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:57 PM »

They can try this but some states Supreme courts might rule excluding the Governor is unconstitutional and needs to be done through the amendment process and not a bill.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies