UK General Discussion: Rishecession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:45:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 249625 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: September 10, 2022, 04:36:44 AM »

The Privy Council has been an interesting assembly so far - fascinating to see Starmer, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May and Johnson standing at the head of a crowd of politicians, with a sea of familiar Cabinet faces hovering in the background, in addition to Lib Dem and SNP grandees.

And Nicola Sturgeon as well.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 06:50:37 AM »

If there's one thing I've noticed about the Conservatives, it's that they're unappreciative backstabbers through and through. They really seem to be truly nasty people.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 07:42:52 AM »

Wow.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 07:55:51 AM »

Scotland, though, has traditionally had more influence on the UK than mere numbers would suggest. Of course, that is less true under modern Tory governments who really are mainly English based (and mostly southern England at that, the current PM holding a Yorkshire seat notwithstanding)

Whatever happens though, nationalism there isn't going to die or even majorly decline any time soon - but an erosion of the recent SNP electoral hegemony is certainly more plausible, especially if a Labour government does take power in Westminster and is well received.

I know the first referendum precedes Brexit, but I have to wonder how that has shaped the landscape in Scotland overall in terms of independence. My understanding is that an independent Scotland would have been quick to apply for EU membership.

I do wonder about a potential divide between hard nationalists and soft nationalists (and I really have no idea how large each group is). It's clear that the SNP has a firm lock on the former, but I wonder if the soft nationalists are predominantly those that hate the Tory Government in Westminster and would generally prefer to be part of the EU. I have to imagine there are serious forces within Labour that want to push for rejoining the EU (and make that part of the next campaign), but I can't imagine the leadership wants to go to Brussels with tails tucked between their legs. Electorally speaking though, it seems like there are serious inroads to be made in Scotland through such a strategy. Either way though, a Labour Government seems like it would be likely to soothe the majority in Scotland.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 09:24:15 PM »

You guys gave birth to this. Now you must own it in your thread.

Prince Harry on The Late Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyTkUFGksI

Not sure what that video has to do with what you're saying, but Australia can start talking when it selects its own Head of State.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 08:56:27 AM »

He honestly does look like a gay British Conservative, but someone that tries to be provocative to get attention. A few years older and he'd have a nice position in Cabinet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies