NYT- President Biden considering sending thousands of troops to Eastern Europe and Baltics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:57:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT- President Biden considering sending thousands of troops to Eastern Europe and Baltics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT- President Biden considering sending thousands of troops to Eastern Europe and Baltics  (Read 4008 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 23, 2022, 07:54:13 PM »

Last year, we were celebrating the end of Endless Wars with Afghanistan.... and now we're back to...

Endless Wars possibly.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:30:49 PM »

Dems deserve to lose if they're going to do this. At least Republicans are honest about not giving a sh**t about their own country.

So we should abandon a democratic country (with strategic value and who wants to be our ally) to its fate?

This situation is not an Iraq War 2.0. And everyone should realize this.

This is a serious serious Great Power Struggle on the level of 1930's Europe. We have Russia who is a declining power, by all measures, who wants to have it's last go around the sun. We have almost all of Europe ( with the exception of Germany ? ), jumping in on this. Estonia, Lituhania, hell even freaking JAPAN. Denmark has sent fighter jets to Eastern Europe. Spain.

Literally all of Europe is freaking out. This is not Iraq 2.0. Why do we think it is ?

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:43:54 PM »

Well you know it's sh!t crazy, when freaking Denmark is sending fighter jets. And Finland is threatining to sanction Russia.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:46:08 PM »

Dems deserve to lose if they're going to do this. At least Republicans are honest about not giving a sh**t about their own country.

So we should abandon a democratic country (with strategic value and who wants to be our ally) to its fate?

This situation is not an Iraq War 2.0. And everyone should realize this.

This is a serious serious Great Power Struggle on the level of 1930's Europe. We have Russia who is a declining power, by all measures, who wants to have it's last go around the sun. We have almost all of Europe ( with the exception of Germany ? ), jumping in on this. Estonia, Lituhania, hell even freaking JAPAN. Denmark has sent fighter jets to Eastern Europe. Spain.

Literally all of Europe is freaking out. This is not Iraq 2.0. Why do we think it is ?

I suspect, though I have no way to prove, that similar propaganda operations to those which helped saddle us with Donald Trump and drive Republicans to madness are still manipulating the American zeitgeist in ways that are broadly favorable to our enemies. (And they are not our enemies because w wish to destroy them, but because they wish our destruction.)

Just a week ago, we had massive protests in Kazhakstan, and the President there has fled to Russia.

Like this is serious stuff. And I'm no policy expert, so correct me if i get foreign policy wrong. But when you have Japan, Canada, the UK, the Pope all jumping in, it's serious business.

I hope war never happens, but if it does, then I won't protest. This is serious stuff.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 11:13:40 PM »

Neville Chamberlain 2.0, if things turn out the way it did in 1938.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 01:06:55 AM »

Just a reminder that Biden would not be considering this IF Putin didnt send his troops down to the Ukranian/Russian Border. This isn't Iraq Folks. How many times do I have to repeat myself to make my point clear ?

What good does going to War with a nuclear power will do ? NOTHING. NOTHING. It gains nothing for anyone. Biden knows that.

The only person pushing for War is RUSSIA. PUTIN. By sending down troops to the Russian/Ukranian Border.

I am no foreign policy expert. BUT THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!  I said this already, but it's worth repeating, SERIOUS STUFF.

This is not a puny country in the Middle east we're dealing with. This is one of the most powerful countries in the World. I don't know what the right solution is. To be honest. Diplomacy is... well... not working well right now, we should keep trying.
War should always be the last option. And I hope the diplomats can get something soon.

And by the way,

Bernie Sanders would have done the same thing in this situation. There isn't an or choice here. We can tackle domestic issues and try to deal with these international crises.

You have countries such as Spain, Canada, who in the past, have not parcipated in the major incursions led by the US, sending their own military to Eastern Europe.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 01:11:06 AM »

In fact, here's a hot take. George W. Bush should have spent more time tackling Putin early on rather than spending money on a useless War.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 01:19:14 AM »

We should withdraw from NATO, yes. Our own country is on the verge of collapse, we're having supply shortages, on the verge of food shortages, and our healthcare system is a mess.

And leaving NATO would fix these problems... how exactly?

Because apparently we spend too much on the Military.  And we can somehow dramatically shift money from the Military to the social programs.

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »

Bill Kristol is very pleased by this. As are the multitude "former" Republicans, CIA and Pentagon officials who endorsed this president.

Is it surprising that the only time that these folks as well as legacy media had anything negative to say about the Biden administration, is when he ended a war?

Is it odd for Democrats that the only commentator on TV who's calling out this escalation and involvement is Tucker Carlson? And he gets called a Putin puppet for doing so by partisan Democrats?

It is not surprising if you've been paying attention to the shifting coalitions over the past few years. Eventually, Dems will become the party of foreign policy hawks, internationalists, and world police advocates. You can already see them saying "we need to protect democracy both here and around the world". At this point though, it's still nuanced, with the R's being more militaristic, and D's being more globalist. The only thing stalling this shift from completing is the idiotic Republican establishment still acting like it's 2004. So effectively, it's a uni party in Washington on this issue right now. Hopefully, Biden comes to his senses and rules out any of the MIC's fantasies in the coming days and weeks.

Bernie Sanders would do the exact same thing.

Forget about the Domestic rancor for a moment and think about the big picture, internationally.

What good would War do for the US in this situation ? This is not a puny country in the Middle East, as I have said before. This is a major power albeit declining, and this is high level stuff here. There is nothing to gain with going to War with a Global power.

That being said,
The US is not the one pushing for War in this case. It's Putin. And Putin alone. In fact, the US is being relatively passive along with France and Germany.

Countries like Canada, Spain, Sweden, and Finland. Countries that don't usually invovle itself in situations like these. They're the ones sending ships, military supplies, and they're ratcheting up their defenses.

This isn't the Middle East.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies