Scientists in the US are running for office to combat science-denial (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:08:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Scientists in the US are running for office to combat science-denial (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of 314 Action PAC and their STEM the Divide initiative?
Freedom PAC

Horrible PAC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Scientists in the US are running for office to combat science-denial  (Read 1741 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: January 22, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
« edited: January 22, 2017, 09:11:54 AM by DC Al Fine »

I like the sentiment behind this, but (and this is a big but) but it looks like this initiative will fall prey to the vices of STEM, namely a tendency to pursue scientism while being ignorant of non-STEM subjects (I'm looking at you Neil DeGrasse Tyson).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »

I had no idea they were dumb enough to only be for one party.  (should have actually read it I guess)  Even scientists can be idiots.

Yeah, their stated rationale is incredibly counterproductive even if sincere and it's probably just supercilious tribalism.

I've no love for the NRA, but one thing that is impressive about them (so I've heard, Americans please correct me if I'm wrong), is how they focus just on their issue. If a Democrat running for State Senate is an inch more pro-gun than the Republican, they'll get the endorsement.

As Evangelicals, or blacks, or union members have learned at various times and places, you'll be much more effective in getting what you want if the party you support knows you've got one foot out the door, than if you mindlessly back one party.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »

I like the sentiment behind this, but (and this is a big but) but it looks like this initiative will fall prey to the vices of STEM, namely a tendency to pursue scientism while being ignorant of non-STEM subjects (I'm looking at you Neil DeGrasse Tyson).

How do you think this would manifest itself, out of curiosity?  I don't disagree (especially since this PAC is restricting itself to Democrats only), but I am not sure how it would play out. 

Hopefully (for the PAC), they would find a group of motivated, near single issue voters, who could be swung with their endorsement, and would hopefully make candidates more amenable to their views. A lot of times there is also sizeable donations involved for the most pro-____ candidate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies