Rank these hypothetical people by your opinion of them (Legal scenario)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rank these hypothetical people by your opinion of them (Legal scenario)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Highest opinion/Lowest opinion
A/B

A/C

A/D

A/E

B/A

B/C

B/D

B/E

C/A

C/B

C/D

C/E

D/A

D/B

D/C

D/E

E/A

E/B

E/C

E/D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Rank these hypothetical people by your opinion of them (Legal scenario)  (Read 898 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »

I wanted to do a full ranking for the poll, but that'd take too long, hence what I have.

These are all people in a jury poll for a murder case where the defendant could face the death penalty:

Person A - Is asked in screening if they are willing to rule for a death sentence. The person responds that they are morally opposed to the death penalty would not do so. They are bounced from the jury pool.

Person B - Is asked in screening if they are willing to rule for a death sentence. The person responds they support the death penalty and would be willing to give such a sentence. They remain in the pool.

Person C - Is asked in screening if they are willing to rule for a death sentence. The person responds that while they don't have any problems with the death penalty, they are not comfortable being the one to give such a sentence, basically it's OK only as long as other people are handling it. They are bounced from the jury pool.

Person D - Is asked in screening if they are willing to rule for a death sentence. This person is not personally opposed to it, nor do they have any qualms giving such a sentence. However, they don't want to do jury duty. So they lie and say they are opposed to the death penalty in order to be bounced from the pool.

Person E - Is asked in screening if they are willing to rule for a death sentence. This person is like A, morally opposed to the death penalty. However they lie and say they are willing to, with the intention of possibly preventing a death sentence if they end up on the jury. They intend to fairly judge the verdict and rule if the defendant is guilty or not based on the evidence, but if guilty, they will then ignore the evidence and the law and refuse to rule for anything higher than a life sentence. They remain in the pool.

I would be person A of course but my highest opinion is probably of E, while my lowest of C, a great example of a moral coward. Say EADBC.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:10:58 AM »

I think most opposition to the death penalty is misguided or shallow and emotional, but that doesn't have much effect on my opinion of a person.  I view the shirking of civic duty and lying to subvert the judicial system in a much harsher light, though.  I am annoyed by people who brag about avoiding jury duty, and I have a mild contempt for judges like Stephen Reinhardt who will find any excuse to rule against the death penalty.

My opinion of these hypotheticals is something like BACDE.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »

EABCD
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2008, 02:39:03 PM by GMantis »

I support the death penalty, but find C's position hypocritical. So BAEDC.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:17:36 AM »

I support the death penalty, but find C's position hypocritical. So BAEDC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies