Future superpowers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:21:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future superpowers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these countries (or entities) will be generally considered "superpowers" in about 50 years from now?
China

EU

India

Russia

United States

Other (please specify)

None (no superpowers at all for one reason or another)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Future superpowers  (Read 4291 times)
NDN
Uganda

« on: September 02, 2007, 06:59:04 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2007, 07:01:48 PM by King Porter Stomp »

China is overrated, it has a ton of problems such as impending demographic crunch (too little females), ecological ruin, etc. Russia, India and Brazil I think are all rapidly on their way to achieving super power status. Of course, that could change if the US doesn't get it's debt under control and undergoes an economic meltdown once foreign nations finally stop propping up the dollar. If that happens, I'd be surprised if there were any super powers around in 50 years.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »

I think it's very possible that Brazil could arise as a super power.  It is the fifth most populous country in the world and they seem to have a stable democracy going on.   Brazil also has an abundance of natural resources given its large land area and the fact that much of that area is covered in rainforest.  Brazil also has a lot of influence in Latin America so it is possible that they could build a strong coalition in any international negotiating.
Agreed. In fact, I think it's already starting to assume the role of a major world power right now. True there are problems such as de-forestation and massive poverty, but those are being slowly addressed as people realize the current situation is neither sustainable nor desirable for investment. Presuming a more or less stable economic climate, I could see them achieving super power status in as little as 25 years.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 07:09:24 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2007, 07:11:42 PM by King Porter Stomp »

Russia and Brazil seem unlikely to become full blown superpowers. Too small of population.
Brazil doesn't have a small population. I see your point with Russia though, especially since they have an AIDs problem. But there are a lot of other factors to consider. Russia has tremendous resources like Oil that it can and is using to bring the rest of Europe to it's knees. It also has areas that are becoming more open to population due to climate change, has undergone rapid economic development under Putin, and is re-modernizing it's military. As for Brazil, well Padfoot and myself already covered why that country could become a major power fast if it plays it's cards right.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:18:22 PM »

Russia is on its way to achieving superpower status?

You are aware of their population and HIV/AIDS crisis, right? Conservative estimates place Russia's population at 100 million by 2050. That's not factoring in HIV/AIDS. Add in others - corruption, alcoholism, fascist government...

I already mentioned their AIDs problem. But lack of democracy /=/ poor. Quite the opposite, under Putin they've gone from being in the toilet economically to being one of the fastest growing economies in the world. And their military is becoming formidable again, after about a decade of rotting.

The United States is the most likely superpower, simply because we're already here. India has to overcome the wealth gap, China has its own problems (HIV/AIDS, population, environment).

Obviously by default, although as I mentioned I could see us falling. India I could see becoming a power before China, because it's growth has been more sustained, they've invested more in services, etc. But I think both China and India are severely overrated.

The EU is the most likely power to jump up to superpower status. Their population problem is being solved by immigrants, they already are a giant in diplomacy, and they're a massive economic force, even more so when you consider the Euro's potential.

The EU can't be a super power, because it's not a single federal state yet. And I doubt it will be soon, if ever contrary to what so many of the right claims. Nationalism and anti-globalism are still very much alive in European politics.

NDN
Uganda

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:29:03 PM »

China, U.S., EU.

NOT Russia - they'll fail and just fall into darkness - they're crashing economically.
No they're not, the Russian economy is experiencing massive growth.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies