Scottish Parliament Election, 6th May 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Parliament Election, 6th May 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Parliament Election, 6th May 2021  (Read 42835 times)
Flyersfan232

« on: February 22, 2021, 05:44:58 PM »

From mid-January, so I am surprised no one has posted this yet:

Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

The SNP is expected to win 71 of 129 seats in the Scottish parliament, eight seats more than it won in the last election in 2016, according to the poll carried out by Savanta ComRes and published in The Scotsman newspaper.

The only other time the SNP has won a majority was in 2011 when it won 69 seats under former leader Alex Salmond.

Johnson’s Conservative Party may lose 14 seats in the Scottish parliament and the opposition Labour Party may lose three, the poll found, leaving the Conservatives with 17 seats and the Labour Party with 21.

If you're a unionist, the news is grim. 

whats the good news for unionist?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »

From mid-January, so I am surprised no one has posted this yet:

Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

The SNP is expected to win 71 of 129 seats in the Scottish parliament, eight seats more than it won in the last election in 2016, according to the poll carried out by Savanta ComRes and published in The Scotsman newspaper.

The only other time the SNP has won a majority was in 2011 when it won 69 seats under former leader Alex Salmond.

Johnson’s Conservative Party may lose 14 seats in the Scottish parliament and the opposition Labour Party may lose three, the poll found, leaving the Conservatives with 17 seats and the Labour Party with 21.

If you're a unionist, the news is grim.  

whats the good news for unionist?

The increasingly public civil war going on between SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, and former leader Alex Salmond:

It probably won't make much difference in terms of this upcoming election, but it could be fatal to hopes of Scottish independence.  

Reminds me of Chantal Hébert's book The Morning After.Turns out that on the night Québec was only a couple thousand votes away from voting to separate from Canada, premier Jacques Parizeau and Bloc leader Lucien Bouchard weren't even on speaking terms, in addition to having completely contradictory plans to achieve independence, to the extent they had any plans at all.

I'd support the SNP if I were Scottish, but sadly it wouldn't surprise me to find out that there's this kind of chaos behind the scenes.
i find it funny the two biggest firgure are both named after fish. could the infghting help the scottish greens???
Flyersfan232

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:26:56 PM »

are they unionists that vote snp if so why?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 02:43:13 PM »

Off topic but how close and what is needed and likely for a English assembly that is like the Scottish one
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 12:32:00 PM »

I am not sure I get the SNP logic on mandate for referendum.    In 2016 SNP+Greens also had a majority yet I did not see SNP claim back then there was a need for a second referendum yet this time SNP+Greens having a majority justifies a referendum ?

To be fair they did say they would have a referendum if they won the election this time, and then won the election. However there is a serious risk of an extremely narrow Yes vote, which could be extremely divisive and cause massive disruption (Scittish independence is worse economically than Brexit, Brexit should be a warning not a boost for independence)
If a second vote ends up with yes no matter how narrow I think that harms the snp in the long term and the Scottish independence movement look at Quebec independence movement
Flyersfan232

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 07:22:14 AM »

I am not sure I get the SNP logic on mandate for referendum.    In 2016 SNP+Greens also had a majority yet I did not see SNP claim back then there was a need for a second referendum yet this time SNP+Greens having a majority justifies a referendum ?
i mean if it was a no vote

To be fair they did say they would have a referendum if they won the election this time, and then won the election. However there is a serious risk of an extremely narrow Yes vote, which could be extremely divisive and cause massive disruption (Scittish independence is worse economically than Brexit, Brexit should be a warning not a boost for independence)
If a second vote ends up with yes no matter how narrow I think that harms the snp in the long term and the Scottish independence movement look at Quebec independence movement

Not sure what you mean...? How would a vote for Scottish Independence harm the movement? Have you got them the wrong way round. Scotland and Quebec aren't that similar anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies