COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:15:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 539962 times)
Omega21

« on: August 04, 2020, 08:21:59 AM »

People are done listening to the "Lockdown! Lockdown! Lockdown!" types.

We wouldn’t have as big of a problem if people listened to them in the first place.

In fairness the bigger problem was state and local governments getting impatient and lifting the lock-downs themselves even in spite of the risks.

You can more accurately blame ordinary people for not abiding by mask-wearing or social distancing protocols though. That was the next fail-safe.

One of the real apparent learnings from this is you cannot trust people to regulate themself in a crisis.

Australia knocks on the doors of the homes of people isolating after they test positive to COVID-19.

Around 25-30% are not at home. They go back to work, at the gym, go shopping.

So that means that one third of people, once infected are not concerned about others getting infected. Once infected, their psychology flips to 'active infector'. Think about that carefully. Until you are infected, you cannot imagine thinking that way.

Now out of your two points, Government control in this pandemic is the only option. Removal of infected subjects from the population is a very very effective tool to stop community transmission.

That is why Asian cultures such as South Korea and Singspore achieve better results.

Are there any fines in place if they don't stick to the quarantine while positive?
Omega21

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 06:52:06 AM »

It's pretty similar to March though in that there's widespread community transmission. Schooling is important, but there's no way it'll be safe with the situation being as it is currently. And the way to get case numbers down quickly enough to start reopening some stuff and not to have an agonising drawn-out economic & health disaster is to go for a hard lockdown.

America had a hard lockdown for 2 months. It didn't work.

No it didn't. A few states like New York had hard lockdowns, while of course those started way too late and Cuomo made a huge mistake with care homes, that did stop widespread community transmission. States like Florida and Arizona went with soft lockdowns that didn't actually decrease their curves, and then opened up too early when the situation hadn't actually improved from when they went into lockdown.

European countries generally went for hard lockdowns, so their curves actually decreased rather than just plateauing.

Has 130% the population
Has 1/10th of the cases

Butthurt Trumpsters: EUROPE IS ALSO EXPERIENCING A NEW WAVE!!!!
Omega21

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 07:25:38 PM »

Welp, my school has been designated as an outbreak, although my cohort is still in person. Thanks people who said it doesn’t spread through kids without good proof (Del Taco).
 If I get sick, I challenge you truthers to pay my medical bills since it’s “no worse than the flu.”

Wait, the Govt. does not fully cover Covid 19 treatment?
Omega21

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2020, 06:17:06 PM by Omega21 »

He will be fine, unlike the millions of Americans who don’t have access to affordable healthcare because of his party.

A lot of your party is also responsible for this.

Instead of focusing on lifting up poor people, every second world is about lifting up people of colour . A lot of you have fully embraced borderline insane identity politics, instead of focusing on the fact that all the problems which arise in all communities, whether that's poor white people in trailer camps or black people in "hoods", is a result lack of access to education and poverty.

Instead of fighting for real women's rights, such as paid maternity leave, you put on your pink hats and scream about male privilege or viciously support unlimited abortion, even though no sane developed country allows random abortions at a late stage because a 7-month fetus is no different from a newborn baby.

You have lost a sh**t ton of white working-class people to Republicans due to certain Democrats demonizing "white cis males", and frankly, unless you root out these people and stop giving them a voice, you do not deserve a single one of these things.

When is the last time you had BLM/#Metoo scale protests for 100% healthcare coverage? Well, I'll tell you, never.

Omega21

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »

He will be fine, unlike the millions of Americans who don’t have access to affordable healthcare because of his party.

A lot of your party is also responsible for this.

Instead of focusing on lifting up poor people, every second world is about lifting up people of colour . A lot of you have fully embraced borderline insane identity politics, instead of focusing on the fact that all the problems which arise in all communities, whether that's poor white people in trailer camps or black people in "hoods", is a result lack of access to education and poverty.

Instead of fighting for real women's rights, such as paid maternity leave, you put on your pink hats and scream about male privilege or viciously support unlimited abortion, even though no sane developed country allows random abortions at a late stage because a 7-month fetus is no different from a newborn baby.

You have lost a sh**t ton of white working-class people to Republicans due to certain Democrats demonizing "white cis males", and frankly, unless you root out these people and stop giving them a voice, you do not deserve a single one of these things.

When is the last time you had BLM/#Metoo scale protests for 100% health coverage? Well, I'll tell you, never.

Correct.
The virtue-signaling on social issues has p**sed me off quite a lot actually. In fact, I literally agree with everything you said and have bashed fellow red avatars in the past for getting into these stupid culture wars.

Glad to see a fellow pragmatist!

This has also made its way to Europe sadly, with 19-year-old white Eco-warrior tankies saying stuff like "Well old white men like you just can't understand!" and on the other end of the spectrum ethnonationalists saying "well I'm not really sure if the exact numbers about the Holocaust are right". (can't fully deny it or they'll be getting some prison Wiener lol)
Omega21

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »

I mean, at this point we can't blame people...

Humans are social by nature, and unless the very old and sick are present, I'm fine with people celebrating their holidays together in private.
Omega21

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »

I mean, at this point we can't blame people...

Humans are social by nature, and unless the very old and sick are present, I'm fine with people celebrating their holidays together in private.

Because in much of the US right now, in a group of 10 randomly selected adults, it's more likely than not that at least one of them will have COVID, and, during the course of the meal, will infect the other nine.

So that means we should all be planning on having a distanced Thanksgiving?
Yes. Or no Thanksgiving at all.

Should we send in some feds to check homes as well?

I mean, it's a deadly pandemic, screw their constitutional rights!

Also didn't see you tell all the Biden supporters that organized super-spreader celebrations that they're "sad".
Omega21

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 07:09:19 AM »

Oh so a few people getting blood clots is worse than getting covid? A few people getting blood clots is worse than indefinite unemployment and loss of learning? A few people getting blood clots is worse than hundreds of thousands of people dying from covid 19?

This is just more evidence that a largely vaccinated population is not the end goal. More proof that the government has no intention of wanting this pandemic to end. More proof this is all about control and not about public health.

Example: Blood clots sometimes occurred in a fairly young population vaccinated with AZ. Cases were reported even in 20-year-olds.

For a 20-year-old, the chance of dying from the virus is almost non-existent, i.e. extremely low. Thus any risk of a blood clot, which is a very serious, often life-threatening condition, is to be investigated thoroughly, as the virus it is supposed to protect against is very rarely life-threatening for very young people.
Omega21

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 07:34:07 AM »

Oh so a few people getting blood clots is worse than getting covid? A few people getting blood clots is worse than indefinite unemployment and loss of learning? A few people getting blood clots is worse than hundreds of thousands of people dying from covid 19?

This is just more evidence that a largely vaccinated population is not the end goal. More proof that the government has no intention of wanting this pandemic to end. More proof this is all about control and not about public health.

Example: Blood clots sometimes occurred in a fairly young population vaccinated with AZ. Cases were reported even in 20-year-olds.

For a 20-year-old, the chance of dying from the virus is almost non-existent, i.e. extremely low. Thus any risk of a blood clot, which is a very serious, often life-threatening condition, is to be investigated thoroughly, as the virus it is supposed to protect against is very rarely life-threatening for very young people.

The number of "blood clots" are so minimal compared to the deaths from covid-19 itself. It is not worth stopping usage of this vaccine.

For older people, you're right. For younger people, you're wrong.

Tell me, how many < 29-year-olds do you think died with (not necessarily as a result of) Corona in the US?

In total, 2250 0-29 year olds died.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

Many were most likely already seriously/chronically ill and/or immunocompromised, meaning a healthy 20-year-old has an almost 0 chance of dying from the virus. So if the vaccine turns out to be more dangerous to that group than the virus itself, it should not be given.
Omega21

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:32 AM »

The number of "blood clots" are so minimal compared to the deaths from covid-19 itself. It is not worth stopping usage of this vaccine.

For older people, you're right. For younger people, you're wrong.

Tell me, how many < 29-year-olds do you think died with (not necessarily as a result of) Corona in the US?

In total, 2250 0-29 year olds died.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

Many were most likely already seriously/chronically ill and/or immunocompromised, meaning a healthy 20-year-old has an almost 0 chance of dying from the virus. So if the vaccine turns out to be more dangerous to that group than the virus itself, it should not be given.

has anyone actually died from a blood clot? Considering the amount of people who had blood clots, 6, is less than 2250. Considering like 9 million (? I think) Johnson and Johnson vaccines have been given.. the evidence is clear.. It is worth using.

2250 is made up of mostly chronically ill people (with cancer etc.), so you can't use that number. You need the number of healthy <29 yr olds that died with covid, which we don't have.

E.g. over 114,000 < 29-year-olds died due to other causes in 20/21, so Corona didn't even dent the overall statistic. Much different story for older people though.
Omega21

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 08:03:31 AM »

The Other "One Percenter":

It still kills about one percent of those that it successfully infects.

I hope that there are plenty of needles in Sturgis, and I do not mean for tattoo artistry.

1%, when counting 80-year-olds.

However, if you exclude people who can't bike anymore, i.e. 80-year-olds, it's lower.

This is about the same as when CNN screamed more Americans died from Covid than in Vietnam.

Sure, if a 19-year-olds death is the same as an 85-year-old's.

Note that Covid is definitely not to be underestimated, as it does sadly kill even young people sometimes, so I would encourage everyone to take their vaccines. I just don't like poor statistical analysis.
Omega21

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 04:59:59 PM »

Looks like Omicron might be just a mild flu. Weeks have passed since the first surge of cases, and the amount of people requiring oxygen or dying is still very low compared to case numbers.

IF this is confirmed, this should hopefully end once and forever.

(As long as the Media doesn't get their way with stoking Panic with case numbers)

In general, the new omicron cases have resulted in milder disease, with fewer hospitalizations and less severe cases requiring oxygen or intensive care, according to doctors and official figures. Despite the rising numbers of cases, South Africa’s death rate has not gone up, although experts warn it could increase in the next few weeks.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/south-africans-urge-jabs-president-ill-omicron-wave-81724530
Omega21

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 03:41:00 PM »

I think it's time we change the thread title, Delta is a Boomer on its way out at this point.
Omega21

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 01:23:19 PM »

It's now been two months since I was warned about mass deaths in Nova schools since Youngkin signed a bill banning mask mandates.

I am so glad I do not have kids. I couldn't imagine my anger during covid if I did.

Mass deaths?

Healthy & non-obese kids are at an infinitely higher risk of getting leukemia or lymphoma than dying to Covid.
Omega21

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 01:41:20 PM »

It's now been two months since I was warned about mass deaths in Nova schools since Youngkin signed a bill banning mask mandates.

I am so glad I do not have kids. I couldn't imagine my anger during covid if I did.

Mass deaths?

Healthy & non-obese kids are at an infinitely higher risk of getting leukemia or lymphoma than dying to Covid.

My point is those mass deaths were never gonna happen. It was all about control .

In that case, based & Orwell pilled. Although I do think that part of it also comes from plain old stupidity & the fact that most western generations post WW2 are p*****s, and not just a lust for control.

I recently went back to Bosnia for a few days. If you wear a mask anywhere outside a hospital, are fairly young and look healthy, people look at you like a clown lol.

Made me remember why I love my people(s), in spite of all the problems.
Omega21

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 03:05:00 PM »

Mass deaths?

My point is those mass deaths were never gonna happen. It was all about control .

In that case, based & Orwell pilled. Although I do think that part of it also comes from plain old stupidity & the fact that most western generations post WW2 are p*****s, and not just a lust for control.

I recently went back to Bosnia for a few days. If you wear a mask anywhere outside a hospital, are fairly young and look healthy, people look at you like a clown lol.

Made me remember why I love my people(s), in spite of all the problems.
Indeed, toxic masculinity to the point where you think wearing a piece of fabric/whatever makes you less of a man is a very Balkan trait. I would say Serb but tbh Bosnians and Croats are the exact same way.

Correct, all 3 are equally based, that is why I said I love all my peoples.

Omega21

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2022, 03:16:18 PM »

At this point I fear someone will actually assault me because I wear a mask. A lot of posters here would support it as well. I fear this more than any other crime at this point. In fact I have been verbally harassed (well one was more just a passing insult like the tweet above) twice for wearing a mask, one of the guys followed me and kept shouting for a while. Tbf he (and the other incident) was crazy and likely some guy on drugs but still it’s clear there is a war against those who chose to wear a mask, and just know Atlas supports it in full silently. I guarantee you in a few months, the forum will be debating whether or not it’s moral to punch people with masks because they “haven’t moved on”. Already we are seeing posters call for masks to be illegal and talking about how a personal choice makes them want to start punching things. It’s not safe here anymore.

Kind of personal, but is there a particular reason why you are still wearing one, if you dont mind me asking?
Omega21

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »

Long Covid is worse than the initial infection.

I had Covid in January 2021. It was like a bad sinus infection with a fever in terms of my symptoms. I took Vitamin C, Tylenol to fight the fever and drank plenty of water. I was fine and back to baseline within a week

However, afterwards I had no energy and began sleeping as much as 15 hours a day.

I still have issues with sleep (both insomnia and paradoxically, sleeping too long when I do sleep), and with having the same level of energy I did pre Covid, and I’m a 31 year old male.

The actual infection, for myself, wasn’t at all bad or scary; I’ve had worse bouts of strep. It’s the longer term effect that is a major pain in the neck.

Anecdotal, but whatever:

A friend of mine got better by supplementing with:

Zinc
Magnesium
Vitamin D3+K2
Omega 3

There is also actually very good scientific evidence that prophylactic D3+K2 and Zinc are a great predictor of whether one will develop serious sickness & if they will experience long Covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34684596/

Also, if you are male, you should supplement with this anyway, as it helps with maintaining healthy T. levels. (Vitamin D stimulates receptors in the testicles for T production). Magnesium is needed for Vit D activation, so also plays an important role.

As for Omega3, another plus is that it substantially lowers Cortisol (Stress Hormone), and also improves anxiety in many people.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024589/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies