should parental consent be required for abortions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:04:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should parental consent be required for abortions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: should parental consent be required for abortions?  (Read 8671 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2006, 09:05:43 AM »

It makes no sense for abortion, a very serious procedure, to be the only procedure that a minor can get without parental consent.  You can't even give a minor an aspirin without parental consent; why should an aspirin be regarded as more serious than an abortion?  That anybody would argue this with a straight face shows the true silliness of the pro-abortion movement.
No, it shows the true silliness of the law you're alluding to there, if it indeed exists (gosh, I certainly hope not!)

Yeah, it is correct, their are such laws. Another silly example is at my work they management isn't allowed to give aspirin/ibprofen<sp?> to associates.
While Aspirin technically can be addictive, that's damn weird.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2006, 09:07:10 AM »

While Aspirin technically can be addictive, that's damn weird.

Really? Hmm, never knew that. I do know that low dosage aspirin is pretty good for your heart.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2006, 11:38:57 PM »

So in MS, what happens w/ all the teen pregnancies?  teens w/ 20 babies?  IF a teen is stupid enough to see all her friends have 12 kids, and then go get done by her boyfriend, she's a moron.

Thats exactly what happens.  Which by the way happens to be the state with the least amount of access to alternatives and the state with the highest teen Pregnancy rate.  Imagine that....

Then MS teens are a bunch of stupid free prostitutes!

LOL!  Right.  Becuase sex=prostitute.  You've got a lot to learn buddy.  If there's very little access to contraceptives (like in backwards MS-sorry Harry) then you go without.  Abstaining from sex when it is right in front of you is not the easiest to do.  Maybe is it for you, but for normal human beings, it isn't.  Think about someone else besides yourself.  It's liberating.

I didn't say sex=prostitue.  I said having 12 kids b/c you can't keep 7" of an appendage in your pants and out of your girlfriend is free prostitution.  How can it be that hard?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2006, 11:40:32 PM »

No need to have so many quotes.  To clarify.  If your argument about no access were true, then it would also be somewhat true for areas with limited access, but its not.  And areas with limited access and that don't have the comprehsnive sex education have the highe teen pregnancy rates.  the less sex education you have, the less availabilty to other options you have the higher the teenage pregnancy rate.  So no access would actually have higjher teen pregnancy rates than low access has, which has higher rates than full access.

So, explain to me, why teens who see their friends having all these babies, still go out and have sex.

Because they are teens.  teens aren't having sex because contraceptives are available, they are having sex because they are well teens.  If teens and having sex was related to contracpetives and the protections that are avilable, then the areas where they are less avilable would have the lower rates of teen Pregnancy, but the reverse is true.  Bottom line no matter what you teach if a teen wants to have sex, they are going to have sex.  the differences the contracpetives make is whether that sex is safe or not, and if they can get pregnant or not.

And eventually, they'll learn.  But it WILL take a while.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2006, 11:41:51 PM »

No parental consent or notification should be necessary for a minor seeking an abortion.

why?

It's a matter of priorities.  We live in a society where a 17 year old girl is not mature enough to make a decision about keeping a pregnancy on her own, but she is mature enough to bear and raise a child and, depending on the area of the country, be forced into a shotgun wedding or similar situation.  That said, a minor who got pregnant to begin with was probably more likely to live in an environment where it was more difficult to obtain birth control.  If a girl's parents think condom use is murder, how likely is it that they're going to let her get an abortion?  Of course, there are girls who were simply lazy or uncaring, but even then I don't think the government ought to be legislating responsibility for these girls by putting them in potentially difficult situations.  I'm not arguing that parents should have nothing to do with the abortion process; I'm simply arguing against mandating parental oversight over the matter.

So if a girl can't handle having the baby, don't have sex--is it that hard?

Do we live in an optimal society where things were that simple??

Their is a reason why the south tends to have higher teenage pregnancy rates than the north especially the northeast.  Its because of that exact like of thinking and the absitence only minded type of sex education (well calling absitence only sex education is an oxymoron & complete farce)

What's so hard about keeping a several inch appendage inside your pants, and outside of your girlfriend?
It is deeply unnatural to do so, and there's no real reason to.

How is it unnatural?  Natural is wait until marriage.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2006, 11:47:42 PM »

No need to have so many quotes.  To clarify.  If your argument about no access were true, then it would also be somewhat true for areas with limited access, but its not.  And areas with limited access and that don't have the comprehsnive sex education have the highe teen pregnancy rates.  the less sex education you have, the less availabilty to other options you have the higher the teenage pregnancy rate.  So no access would actually have higjher teen pregnancy rates than low access has, which has higher rates than full access.

So, explain to me, why teens who see their friends having all these babies, still go out and have sex.

Because they are teens.  teens aren't having sex because contraceptives are available, they are having sex because they are well teens.  If teens and having sex was related to contracpetives and the protections that are avilable, then the areas where they are less avilable would have the lower rates of teen Pregnancy, but the reverse is true.  Bottom line no matter what you teach if a teen wants to have sex, they are going to have sex.  the differences the contracpetives make is whether that sex is safe or not, and if they can get pregnant or not.

And eventually, they'll learn.  But it WILL take a while.

It won't work period.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2006, 03:11:24 AM »

Is masturbation unnatural?

I said having 12 kids b/c you can't keep 7" of an appendage in your pants and out of your girlfriend is free prostitution.

There is no such thing as "free prostitution."  That's a contradiction in terms.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2006, 05:53:15 AM »

No parental consent or notification should be necessary for a minor seeking an abortion.

why?

It's a matter of priorities.  We live in a society where a 17 year old girl is not mature enough to make a decision about keeping a pregnancy on her own, but she is mature enough to bear and raise a child and, depending on the area of the country, be forced into a shotgun wedding or similar situation.  That said, a minor who got pregnant to begin with was probably more likely to live in an environment where it was more difficult to obtain birth control.  If a girl's parents think condom use is murder, how likely is it that they're going to let her get an abortion?  Of course, there are girls who were simply lazy or uncaring, but even then I don't think the government ought to be legislating responsibility for these girls by putting them in potentially difficult situations.  I'm not arguing that parents should have nothing to do with the abortion process; I'm simply arguing against mandating parental oversight over the matter.

So if a girl can't handle having the baby, don't have sex--is it that hard?

Do we live in an optimal society where things were that simple??

Their is a reason why the south tends to have higher teenage pregnancy rates than the north especially the northeast.  Its because of that exact like of thinking and the absitence only minded type of sex education (well calling absitence only sex education is an oxymoron & complete farce)

What's so hard about keeping a several inch appendage inside your pants, and outside of your girlfriend?
It is deeply unnatural to do so, and there's no real reason to.

How is it unnatural?  Natural is wait until marriage.
How so? Especially with laws banning marriage until many years after puberty?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »

Absolutely, if their daughter is a minor

Dave

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2006, 10:15:20 PM »

Simply make condoms/the pill/the emergency pill be available over the counter and ban abortion outside of rape/incest/life of the mother.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2006, 02:03:25 AM »

why?

Agree with this strongly.  This is an economic decision she will live with until 35 and it would not be her choice.  If she were a year older it should be.  If "pro-lifers" want to hold a gun to a girl's head and the parents refuse, they should then be responsible for the child until he/she is 18.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies