Are toll roads a good idea?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:50:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are toll roads a good idea?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Yes.  Users should pay the price.

In some situations (HOT lanes, etc)

No.  Other sources should fund our roads.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Are toll roads a good idea?  (Read 5333 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

And how many 'earnings' would you be making, oh Saintly One, if the government hadn't propped your ass up for the last 28 miserable years of your life?

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »

No.  All taxes on the american people should end NOW.  Government is taking more and more of the producing classes money (which is nothing more than legal theft).

You've got three choices.  Tax-supported roads, toll-supported roads, and no roads.  Free roads paid for and maintained by the road fairy are not an option.

That sounds clever but its not true.

Taxes are the worst way to subsidize roads and other things of that nature.  This is one thing I think a lot of the libertarians have correct.  The private sector and the market are a much better means of funding than government theft of peoples earnings.  Taxes if we have them at all should be used for one thing -- to defend our shores from the enemy.

And how is the private sector going to make money on a road without collecting a toll?  More importantly, how is a private company going to acquire the land for a road without the use of eminent domain by the government on its behalf?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »

No.

Toll bridges aren't a bad idea, so as to discourage casual use. But I strongly oppose all toll roads.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »

No.

Toll bridges aren't a bad idea, so as to discourage casual use. But I strongly oppose all toll roads.

What's wrong with casual use of bridges? lol
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 05:46:37 PM »

No.

Nothing per se, but large, famous bridges could get too congested with tourists and others simply driving back and forth across them many times.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »

No.

Nothing per se, but large, famous bridges could get too congested with tourists and others simply driving back and forth across them many times.

I see your point.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 05:19:45 AM »

Yes. People don't have to pay for the maintenance of roads that they don't use that way.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 04:53:47 AM »

If road regularly gets very busy, then I do believe a toll system would be a good way to go.  With roads that get relatively little use, or are well used but not that busy, I feel a toll would be unnecessary.
WillK

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 07:32:31 AM »

Otherwise I think taxes should fund our roads.  This is mostly because most road users in Minnesota are Minnesotans. 

Tolls charge the road users for the road.  So if the road users are from Minnesota, then the tolls would mostly be paid by Minnesotans.  So I dont get your issue with tolls.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »

If road regularly gets very busy, then I do believe a toll system would be a good way to go.  With roads that get relatively little use, or are well used but not that busy, I feel a toll would be unnecessary.

There's an obvious cost to tolling roads (the booths/cameras, etc.), but beyond that I don't think it should matter how busy the roads are. If one road sees 200,000 cars/day and has maintenance costs of $1,000,000/day, the toll would be set at $5/car. If another road sees 20,000 cars and has maintenance costs of $50,000/day, the toll would be set at $2.50/car. That way each car pays the cost of maintenance, higher for the overused road and lower for the rarely used road.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 07:21:27 AM »

HELL no.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »

There's an obvious cost to tolling roads (the booths/cameras, etc.), but beyond that I don't think it should matter how busy the roads are. If one road sees 200,000 cars/day and has maintenance costs of $1,000,000/day, the toll would be set at $5/car. If another road sees 20,000 cars and has maintenance costs of $50,000/day, the toll would be set at $2.50/car. That way each car pays the cost of maintenance, higher for the overused road and lower for the rarely used road.

That sort of system doesn't actually sound too bad, but I don't really see the point in tolling quiet roads to be honest.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 10:22:19 PM »

Toll roads should be express, high quality, high speed limit, ways to get between major locations. From my city to Denver International Airport is a good example. The drive is cut in half on that toll road. Otherwise, it's not worth it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »

Option 2.  I definitely think MI could use some toll roads.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2009, 09:59:31 PM by officepark »

It depends.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »

Otherwise I think taxes should fund our roads.  This is mostly because most road users in Minnesota are Minnesotans. 

Tolls charge the road users for the road.  So if the road users are from Minnesota, then the tolls would mostly be paid by Minnesotans.  So I dont get your issue with tolls.

Because while paying $2.50 to drive 20 miles is nothing for a guy making $300,000/year, it adds up a lot for someone making $15,000/year.

Again, taxes should pay for our roads.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »

Because while paying $2.50 to drive 20 miles is nothing for a guy making $300,000/year, it adds up a lot for someone making $15,000/year.

Around here, someone making $15k a year can't afford a car in the first place. You are welcome to pay the same amount for public transportation someone who is rich, though.

Anyways, I voted for option 1. We subsidize cars too much.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:44 AM »

Using an EZ Pass system it wouldn't be hard to link tolls with income.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 01:14:20 AM »

Being from Oklahoma I can say that toll plazas are definitely not my most favorite thing in the world. I recognize the need for them, but the amount of toll plazas we have is ridiculous. Plus some of the places have insane prices. Like the Stroud toll plaza between Tulsa and Oklahoma City: $3.50 for a friggin sedan car! I can't imagine how much it costs trucks and other huge ass vehicles!

I would get a PikePass, but my ass is too broke to afford it.

My opinion: Mend it, but don't end it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 04:12:55 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 04:14:55 AM by Snowguy716 »

Then what's the point?  It's a huge hassle to link tolls to income with EZ Pass... because you have to tally the figures every time you drive.  And what if you are borrowing a friend's car?

How about we just fund our roads the old fashioned way with a combination of gas/car taxes and from income taxes.

I just don't see why we need a user fee for a road.  The gas tax and car tax I can understand... they can pay for maintenance.  Pay for construction with general funds.

We shouldn't be nickel and diming everybody to pay for our public goods.  It's like getting a super bargain rate on a hotel room, but then having to put in a quarter each time you flush the toilet or turn on the faucet.

Some things should just be included in the price.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 05:12:15 PM »

Then what's the point?  It's a huge hassle to link tolls to income with EZ Pass... because you have to tally the figures every time you drive.  And what if you are borrowing a friend's car?

How about we just fund our roads the old fashioned way with a combination of gas/car taxes and from income taxes.

I just don't see why we need a user fee for a road.  The gas tax and car tax I can understand... they can pay for maintenance.  Pay for construction with general funds.

We shouldn't be nickel and diming everybody to pay for our public goods.  It's like getting a super bargain rate on a hotel room, but then having to put in a quarter each time you flush the toilet or turn on the faucet.

Some things should just be included in the price.

At the risk of being called "unlibertarian", this is actually a good idea.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

It's easier to get people to pay for something when they can physically see what they're getting for the money. People bitch and moan about paying gas taxes and income taxes because they see shitty roads which are shitty because taxes aren't high enough to pay for maintenance and construction. It's much easier to convince someone to pay a $1.00 toll every time they drive on an interstate which is in good shape than convince them to pay another 0.01% in income tax or gas tax.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies