Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:17:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 68851 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« on: April 11, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »

This is so wild. At a glance, Lescano seems like the most tolerable candidate, but the overall candidate slate is amazing. A famous soccer player, a famous economist, a former President, a potential murderer who is somehow far from the worst candidates because the others are a potential Maoist, a self proclaimed Peruvian Bolsonaro and a dictator's daughter who wants to pardon her father. Amazing.

Think we'll be seeing the results tomorrow?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »

My guess is Castillo-Fujimori or Castillo-De Soto. De Soto is, in his field, quite famous and quite evil.

Edit: be a little careful with "potential Maoist." In Peru, the right throws that at anyone on the Left. There was a photoshopped image of Mendoza posing in front of Guzman's house this campaign, for example. But this is quite clearly a symptom of panic about rural/indian voters who (justifiably) are fed up with Peru's hilariously awful political class. Mendoza is more likeable as a candidate (on lgbt issues, fx), but seems like chickens coming home to roost here.

Yes, exactly.  I simply renounce to explain these things to fake progressives who pay attention to reactionary smear campaigns and actually work in the service of reactionary causes. Mendoza is the only candidate who represents a certain "contemporary left". She's neither Maoist nor Chavista

If you must know, I was referring to Castillo and his potential ties to the Shining Path (and thus, potential Maoist) and not to Mendoza. Mendoza is probably my first or second choice in this slate, but I'll proudly wear the "fake progressive" title from people whose leftist benevolence extends to everyone but Jews, and thus work for some very reactionary causes.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:00:29 AM »

So is the ipsos quick count any good or here's how Lescano/De Soto can still win?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:50:36 AM »

While Castillo outside of LGBTQ and social issues in general is quite bad, considering his likely opponent  and given the fact that his hold on power is on much more shakier ground, I would back him. Fujimori has better relative ability at seizing the state than he does and would be much, much worse overall for the country. In sustaining his possible presidency, Castillo would have to work with his much more socially moderate partners in the Humanists and even with Mendoza’s party in parliament. Fujimori meanwhile is at the behest of the Catholic and Evangelical churches, Oligarchs and multinationals, all propped up by the military and the possibility of reviving death squads if things further deteriorate.

The only thing that would make this even more farcical is if yet another election from a possible popular uprising occurs within the next year.

I'd probably prefer Castillo too, but these are just two really terrible choices and it's a really sad state of affairs for the people of Peru.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:40:50 AM »

While Castillo outside of LGBTQ and social issues in general is quite bad, considering his likely opponent  and given the fact that his hold on power is on much more shakier ground, I would back him. Fujimori has better relative ability at seizing the state than he does and would be much, much worse overall for the country. In sustaining his possible presidency, Castillo would have to work with his much more socially moderate partners in the Humanists and even with Mendoza’s party in parliament. Fujimori meanwhile is at the behest of the Catholic and Evangelical churches, Oligarchs and multinationals, all propped up by the military and the possibility of reviving death squads if things further deteriorate.

The only thing that would make this even more farcical is if yet another election from a possible popular uprising occurs within the next year.

I'd probably prefer Castillo too, but these are just two really terrible choices and it's a really sad state of affairs for the people of Peru.
Fundamentally one has to remember that only one of these candidates defends the mass murderers of Peruvian history; only one of these candidates represents an elite hellbent in keeping the caste and class relations static. Again, one has to remember that for one of them, their social conservatism is at least tied if they want a functioning relationship with their Humanist-oriented coalition partners.

Peru, like most of the world, isn’t in a neat bubble with politics entirely recognizable or palatable for most of the people in the advanced metropoles of the world—myself included. It’s fundamentally about choosing the person one would hold their nose for and (hopefully) have the highest chance of not abolish democracy.

Yeah, I don't disagree here. The two choices are both pretty terrifying, but I believe if I lived there I'd choose the one less likely to take away my rights. Still sucks that the two paths before a country are, on paper at least, the Venezuelan path vs the fascist dictatorship path. Also sucks that the hope to avoid either rides on an inability to govern.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:06:36 AM »

Very easy choice now.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 12:22:27 AM »

Very easy choice now.

Yeah, as we all know, politicians never lie. The guy with ties to a Maoist guerilla group definitely won't do anything bad during his presidency. I'm sure of it.

Ok mr. Haley/Ryan, what do you suggest a center leftist to do? Gamble that the daughter of the brutal dictator who said she'll pardon him won't do anything bad?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies