California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:10:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 66969 times)
JMT

« on: January 10, 2023, 10:34:18 AM »

JMT

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 02:13:20 PM »

JMT

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 07:58:51 AM »

JMT

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »

Newsom pledged to appoint a Black woman, but Barbara Lee won't get the nod because she's currently in the Senate race, so who would that leave?

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

I imagine it won’t be Karen Bass. She was only elected Mayor in 2022, and she left Washington to take that post. I don’t think she’d leave so early in her term to accept what will likely only be an interim appointment (she already endorsed Barbara Lee for the full term).
JMT

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 08:24:58 AM »

Newsom pledged to appoint a Black woman, but Barbara Lee won't get the nod because she's currently in the Senate race, so who would that leave?

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

I imagine it won’t be Karen Bass. She was only elected Mayor in 2022, and she left Washington to take that post. I don’t think she’d leave so early in her term to accept what will likely only be an interim appointment (she already endorsed Barbara Lee for the full term).
Shirley Weber makes the most sense by far. She (ironically) succeeded Padilla as Secretary of State and is old enough to definitely not run again. She would probably happily be a senator for a year and a half as the end to her career.

This is what I was thinking, too. If I had to guess, Newsom appoints Weber.
JMT

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 10:45:07 AM »

Newsom has appointed a significant number of people to statewide office in the past few years:

-Senate: Alex Padilla (Kamala Harris’ replacement)
-Secretary of State: Shirley Weber (Alex Padilla’s replacement)
-Attorney General: Rob Bonta (Xavier Beccera’s replacement)
-Senate: ? (Dianne Feinstein’s replacement)

That’s a lot of people. And if he selects Shirley Weber as Feinstein’s replacement, he’ll also get to appoint Weber’s replacement as Sec of State.
JMT

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 11:06:32 AM »

From what I can gather, Newsom will be the first governor in 3-4 decades to get to appoint both of his state's US senators.

It's happened a few times before (including a situation in Florida in the 30s where both senators seem to have died within a month of each other). But still pretty impactful - even if one does end up being a caretaker.

It happened fairly recently in Massachusetts. Deval Patrick appointed Paul Kirk to replace Ted Kennedy, then appointed Mo Cowan to replace John Kerry. Both were interim/caretaker appointments, but it was for both of MA’s senate seats.

And this was for the same Senate seat, so not exactly the same. But interestingly, Doug Ducey made two Senate appointments. Ducey appointed Jon Kyl to replace John McCain, but then Kyl resigned. Ducey then appointed Martha McSally to replace Jon Kyl.
JMT

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 08:22:29 AM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies