Democratic Freak States Holy Saturday results thread (1st caucuses begin @1pmET) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:53:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Freak States Holy Saturday results thread (1st caucuses begin @1pmET) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Freak States Holy Saturday results thread (1st caucuses begin @1pmET)  (Read 28211 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 26, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »

Chelan County 2008: 73% Obama
Chelan County 2016: 72% Sanders

I'm in Chelan County as we speak, actually! Not caucusing today. (I'm not a registered Dem, for starters)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »

If Sanders wins CA by the margin he's winning WA, then he'll have a chance. Wink

The demographics of CA are very different, though. He'll dominate the Bay Area, however
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »

If Sanders wins CA by the margin he's winning WA, then he'll have a chance. Wink

The demographics of CA are very different, though. He'll dominate the Bay Area, however

Exactly. I was implying that there was no way it would happen. He might win CA, but it would be a narrow win, which isn't what he needs.

California's Democratic electorate will be more than 50% non-white. Good luck winning with that.

Ah, I missed your wink face. My apologies!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:29:11 PM »

Bernie could be the Goldwater of the left. He might not succeed now, but his message is showing that the youth want to return this party to the party of labor, not soccer moms.

More like McGovern imo. Over-optimistic college youth learn to lose the hard way.

People who were college students in 1972, 1984, 1988, and 2004 say they were convinced that the Democratic candidate would win, and that they didn't know anyone who voted for the Republican, are shocked on election night, devolve into conspiracy theories, and eventually learn to accept that their candidate lost fair and square.

The college campus bubble is strong and has been around for 50 years. Young people no matter what decade they live in think the world revolves around them. I'm guilty of this sometimes myself. It's nothing new.

One can only hope we learn this in the primary rather than the general...
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »

Rules are rules, but I don't think low turnout unrepresentative caucuses are the best thing for the party. I like both of our candidates and I don't mind seeing the race go on (especially because California's top-two system can product nasty results if only Republicans have competitive races, such as CA-31 in 2012), but I really don't believe these kind of margins are representative of the broader Democratic electorate.

I think all states should have primaries. And, I think if Washington Republicans can have a primary for delegates, Democrats should certainly do so as well. I would hope this is something the party can work on for the future once we have our nominee.

Agreed. Caucuses are a relic
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 12:34:55 AM »

Hey, they're on "Hawaii time". They'll get there when they get there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies