Have you ever been in a mental hospital/psychatric institution?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:36:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been in a mental hospital/psychatric institution?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: not counting just visiting or something Tongue
Yes, and I feel it was a positive/helpful experience
Yes, and I feel it was a neutral/mixed expetience
Yes, and I feel it was a negative/traumatic experience
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Have you ever been in a mental hospital/psychatric institution?  (Read 534 times)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »

I'm making this poll because I very strongly believe this and everything surrounding mental health in general needs to be destigmatized. Today marks the one year anniversary of when I was released from one. I went in voluntarily; albeit with some pressure from family who I listened to more then than I do now, but still definitely not involuntarily, because I was feeling very acutely suicidal at that point as was pretty sure I was going to do something to myself if I didn't. Stayed for around 9 days I think. The experience there felt kinda odd but not extreme. The best way I can describe it is like a mix of jail and kindergarten. During the time there I mostly felt bored and often frustrated and annoyed. I don't think any of the therapy things there or the medications I was given did anything positive for me really. But I no longer felt immediately suicidal by the time I left. In a few weeks to around two months after I got out I felt more motivated (a big problem with depression obviously) and made a lot of necessary and positive changes to my life. I think mostly because it's the kind of experience that sorta shakes you out of the normal patterns of life which makes it easier to make changes, and also for me maybe a little bit of a "well, I just hit rock bottom and I guess I'm going up because I have nowhere else to go" effect. In the long-term, I don't feel much benefit from it though. I guess I feel a little bit better than where I was right before I went in, but I don't really feel any different than I did in the months and years before that.

I'm really curious, it seems like this place has a very high rate of mental issues so I'd bet there are some people with stories to share here. I've heard a lot of experiences from my friends (I have a lot with similar experiences, actually my friends who *haven't * tried to kill themselves or wanted or want to are prob the minority lol) and they've ranged from "I found it really helpful" to "I was horrible, traumatic, scarring, etc" which makes me think its really a crapshoot depending on the person and the place. If you feel comfortable sharing that's great, I know its hard to be open about but like I said it definitely needs destigmatizing which is only going to happen if more people are willing to talk.

Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »

No.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »

Not telling.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »

Not yet. I pondered voluntarily committing myself as recent as a few weeks ago during the time of that....ugh, prank.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »

Well I don't think I've been shy mentioning my depression, but no, doctor's is as far as I've took it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »

Only as a visitor. And I was very unimpressed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »

Many times, in several of them. And look how well I have recovered!  Tongue

Anyway, don't get me into my rant mode on mental hospitals and facilities and the whole f'ing system. It ain't pretty.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Nope
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »

Yeah after my suicide attempt I was "ten twelve'd" which meant the state of Georgia had deemed me mentally unfit to be responsible for my own well-being. I spent five days in a private short-term stay facility and it helped me a lot but it was really horribly run.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »

I've come close (don't really want to talk about that experience, basically my father said something that sent me into psychosis), but never to the point where I've actually been committed. Honestly, if I were my mom in the middle of that, I would have actually committed myself during my psychotic break.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »

No, but I have been to them for family several times. I thought I might end up in one myself a few years ago myself, but it passed.

They create a controlled, different environment to help people sort themselves out and test what medication suits them. That's healthy. You can also easily encounter something terrifying.They're not as bad as people are led to believe, though, and there should be as little shame in going to one as you'd feel going into a "normal" hospital for anything else. Barring, perhaps, going into hospital to have something exotic dislodged from your anus, you embarrassment to humanity.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »

No, but others in my family have.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »

No, but an existential crisis when I was 16 brought me close. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies