Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 12:52:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 63
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 131337 times)
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: March 15, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »

Also, Odeh to the President: "we all agree that the Jewish people have a right of self recognition, but we're also a national group with rights". Odeh is really leading the JL into a more non-Zionist rather than anti-Zionist direction.
That's not incompatible with anti-Zionism.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1026 on: March 15, 2020, 10:16:48 AM »

YB recommends Gantz. The whiplash on govt formation round 3 continues to surpass rounds 1 and 2.

It's usually like this, though. Israeli coalitional politics require so much patience and thickness of skin. Lieberman and the Joint List have always been working closely with Gantz. The question is how cohesive Gantz's bloc remains. They lost Orly Levy, which is tough. But if they keep their 61 seats together they still have a majority.

I'd ink agreements right away with YB and Labor, make sure the Joint List has what they need to give their votes to Gantz from the outside, and just get it done. Dare Hauser and Handel to bring their own government down. At the very least it may evoke actual concessions from the Likud in unity discussions, like separating from the right bloc, as Bibi sees that his rule is truly in peril.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1027 on: March 15, 2020, 11:13:34 AM »

Tomorrow at noon Benny Gantz will receive the mandate to form a government.

בהצלחה, חבר.
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix

« Reply #1028 on: March 15, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »

Can't wait for him to kill another 2,000 Gazans.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1029 on: March 15, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »

Does this mean we could FINALLY be seeing the back of Netanyahu?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1030 on: March 15, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 12:31:06 PM by Walmart_shopper »

Does this mean we could FINALLY be seeing the back of Netanyahu?

We'll see! It feels like we are pretty close, but there is still a bit to go.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1031 on: March 15, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »

The right wing is back to hyperventilating about a minority government. Knesset speaker Yuli Edelstein says that he will not allow a vote to replace him, which the Gantz bloc had planned to do tomorrow after MKs are sworn in. The move basically puts Gantz up against a wall and makes a minority government the only real option for KL at this point. Hopefully he is really quick to put the coalition agreements in ink.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1032 on: March 15, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »

Yael German will not be sworn in due to her medical condition and number 34 in the B&W list Aidan Roll would be sworn instead. Another gay MK.

German was a sure in for ministerial post for any government formed, so I guess Orna Barbivai is quite happy. She was the minister of health between 2013-15 and mayor of Raanana (by Meretz) for some 15 years.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1033 on: March 15, 2020, 01:23:28 PM »

The right wing is back to hyperventilating about a minority government. Knesset speaker Yuli Edelstein says that he will not allow a vote to replace him, which the Gantz bloc had planned to do tomorrow after MKs are sworn in. The move basically puts Gantz up against a wall and makes a minority government the only real option for KL at this point. Hopefully he is really quick to put the coalition agreements in ink.

Simply not allowing a vote to replace him when there's a majority to do so seems like the kind of power that a Speaker probably shouldn't, uh, have.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1034 on: March 15, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »

Simply not allowing a vote to replace him when there's a majority to do so seems like the kind of power that a Speaker probably shouldn't, uh, have.
He doesn’t. He’s procrastinating
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1035 on: March 15, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »

He's auditioning to be Bibi's replacement as Likud leader.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1036 on: March 15, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »

I'm really surprised actually as to how and why the Likudniks behind Bibi haven't thought of stabbing in the back yet, outside of the leadership...can they not see political opportunity in getting rid of their leader in favour of their own selves? Why haven't some tried to outflank Bibi to the Right while still maintaining themselves within the Likud and talking about Bibi getting a decent send off with immunity? How did the party become such a 1 man cult?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1037 on: March 15, 2020, 02:40:51 PM »

I'm really surprised actually as to how and why the Likudniks behind Bibi haven't thought of stabbing in the back yet, outside of the leadership...can they not see political opportunity in getting rid of their leader in favour of their own selves? Why haven't some tried to outflank Bibi to the Right while still maintaining themselves within the Likud and talking about Bibi getting a decent send off with immunity? How did the party become such a 1 man cult?

They see in his end the end of their careers as well, because without the extraordinary polarisation the second half of his second premiership has brought to Israel they would not be MKs.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1038 on: March 15, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »

There are maybe half a dozen Likud MKs with the brains to not collapse the party. And the first one to backstab Netanyahu is either going to be joined by the others or else tossed out of the party by the other five after he does their dirty work of getting rid of Netanyahu. So I suspect whichever Likud member takes out Netanyahu does so at the expense of their own political career.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1039 on: March 15, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »

They see in his end the end of their careers as well, because without the extraordinary polarisation the second half of his second premiership has brought to Israel they would not be MKs.

I always figured it was because all polls seems to show that Likud led by Netanyahu always polls a lot better than Likud led any anyone else.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1040 on: March 15, 2020, 03:53:53 PM »

It's a mistake by the Joint List to recommend Gantz, he's worse than Netanyahu when it comes to the peace plan.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1041 on: March 15, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 04:17:19 PM by Velasco »

It's a mistake by the Joint List to recommend Gantz, he's worse than Netanyahu when it comes to the peace plan.

Gantz is just the lesser evil and the only alternative to the establishment of a full apartheid ethno-estate by the Israeli hard right. If the Joint List does not recommend this centre-right zionist, its MKs will render useless and irrelevant. Gantz is bad, but the alternative is abominable. There are no good choices in Israeli politics, face it
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1042 on: March 15, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »

I always figured it was because all polls seems to show that Likud led by Netanyahu always polls a lot better than Likud led any anyone else.

In theory. But in practice things would start cracking up as the usual centrifugal pressures in Israeli politics resume.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1043 on: March 15, 2020, 04:14:57 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 04:29:51 PM by Hnv1 »

It was the wish of the majority of the Palestinian-Israeli population . I’ll let them know they need to consult the brave keyboard warriors of America first next time
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1044 on: March 15, 2020, 04:16:12 PM »

I thought Ayelet Shaked would have tried to stick the knife in or try and take him down from the inside of the R-R bloc, but nothing. She really isn't the gutsy woman she portrays herself as.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1045 on: March 15, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »

Gantz is just the lesser evil and the only alternative to the establishment of a full apartheid ethno-estate by the Israeli hard right. If the Joint List does not recommend this centre-right zionist, their MKs will render useless and irrelevant. Gantz is bad, but the alternative is abominable. There are not good choices in Israeli politics, face it

Leave if you're not gonna contribute anything interesting/constructive 🤷🏻‍♂️
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1046 on: March 15, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »

Gantz is just the lesser evil and the only alternative to the establishment of a full apartheid ethno-estate by the Israeli hard right. If the Joint List does not recommend this centre-right zionist, their MKs will render useless and irrelevant. Gantz is bad, but the alternative is abominable. There are not good choices in Israeli politics, face it

Take a grip bro
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix

« Reply #1047 on: March 15, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »

It was the wish of the majority of the Palestinian-Israeli population . I’ll let them know they need to consult the brave keyboard warriors of America first next time
Don't even. TSA is Palestinian and has family in both "Israel proper" and the West Bank.

It's funny how I never hear you guys criticize pro-Israel American evangelicals like this.

Yeah. He should strive to be the amazing, insightful poster that you are.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1048 on: March 15, 2020, 05:01:26 PM »

Don't even. TSA is Palestinian and has family in both "Israel proper" and the West Bank.

It's funny how I never hear you guys criticize pro-Israel American evangelicals like this.

I think I voiced my strong dislike of the Jewish Right in America on more than one occasion, the same applies to the Palestinian expats who are quite similar in being more “radical”. It’s always easier to be radical when you don’t live through the ramifications.

The JL has the highest turnout ever because their public wanted them to help Gantz oust Bibi. I think they understand their needs better than our vigilantes here
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1049 on: March 15, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »

Leave if you're not gonna contribute anything interesting/constructive ‍♂️
I think I voiced my strong dislike of the Jewish Right in America on more than one occasion, the same applies to the Palestinian expats who are quite similar in being more “radical”. It’s always easier to be radical when you don’t live through the ramifications.

The JL has the highest turnout ever because their public wanted them to help Gantz oust Bibi. I think they understand their needs better than our vigilantes here

As did my family and I share their sentiments as well they absolutely hate Gantz but their hatred of Bibi was stronger all I said was i think going into a coalition in the future will be a mistake and why it's likely to fall apart the second bibi is gone. It's incredibly lucky that Gantz and the Joint List were able to get together with Liberman to make this happen in the first place which is what i was initially trying to say.

Also I'm not really radical I have much to criticize among the Palestinian side
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies