19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:07:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat  (Read 20169 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« on: August 15, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »

Apparently, the stuff that this kid is being accused of (and seems to have admitted to) occurred when he was in sixth grade.

It’s totally fair to slam him for the dumb stuff he is saying now.  But there’s no way stuff you did when you were 11 years old should follow you around in your adult professional life.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »

Apparently, the stuff that this kid is being accused of (and seems to have admitted to) occurred when he was in sixth grade.

It’s totally fair to slam him for the dumb stuff he is saying now.  But there’s no way stuff you did when you were 11 years old should follow you around in your adult professional life.

Awful take. We aren’t talking about dumb forum posts or underage drinking here, this guy blackmailed someone with nude pictures to try to get more of them. There is no age he could’ve done that at to make it anything other than psychopathic. He should be nowhere near elected office.

There’s a reason why we sometimes prosecute 15-year-olds for adult crimes but never prosecute 11-year-olds.  An 11-year-old is not a morally mature person.  He could have murdered someone when he was 11, and I don’t think it should be held against him as an adult.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »

Awful take. We aren’t talking about dumb forum posts or underage drinking here, this guy blackmailed someone with nude pictures to try to get more of them. There is no age he could’ve done that at to make it anything other than psychopathic. He should be nowhere near elected office.

There’s a reason why we sometimes prosecute 15-year-olds for adult crimes but never prosecute 11-year-olds.  An 11-year-old is not a morally mature person.  He could have murdered someone when he was 11, and I don’t think it should be held against him as an adult.

I agree that an 11 year old shouldn’t be prosecuted for murder as an adult, but that isn’t what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about ability to hold office. Doing the stuff he did isn’t prosecutable (and shouldn’t be), but it shows he is clearly not well-adjusted. His more recent behavior shows he hasn’t completely changed since then either. Someone who has done those sort of things is not the sort of person who should be in a position of power in my opinion.

I agree that they are signs that an 11 year old is not “well-adjusted”.  But I think whatever bad behavior someone shows at age 11, they should be given an opportunity to “readjust” as they gorw up and no have their literal childhood held againt them.

If he was actually 14 when he did this things, that changes my opinion a bit.  But I saw reference to him being in 6th grade at the time, and at least I was 11 in 6th grade.  And of course his recent behavior is totally fair game.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies