Should minors who wish to leave their parents' religion be given legal protections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Should minors who wish to leave their parents' religion be given legal protections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should minors who wish to leave their parents' religion be given legal protections?  (Read 3097 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 02, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »

Yes, they should. Religious indoctrination is child abuse.

Pls define what you think indoctrination is

indoctrination: the process of teaching someone to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

religious indoctrination would mean the process of teaching someone to accept a set of religious beliefs uncritically

Forcing your kid to go to church against their wishes would fit this definition.

If my child decides that he does not want to go to science class because he believes the Earth is flat and evolution is false, is it indoctrination for me to force him to go anyway?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »

indoctrination: the process of teaching someone to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

religious indoctrination would mean the process of teaching someone to accept a set of religious beliefs uncritically

Forcing your kid to go to church against their wishes would fit this definition.

If my child decides that he does not want to go to science class because he believes the Earth is flat and evolution is false, is it indoctrination for me to force him to go anyway?

'Science class in public school' does not equal 'parent forcing child to remain in parents faith'.

Unless you want a 'school board' established to oversee your family unit.

So is your contention that indoctrination becomes acceptable once the position in question is backed by the state?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 06:03:19 PM »

'Science class in public school' does not equal 'parent forcing child to remain in parents faith'.

Unless you want a 'school board' established to oversee your family unit.

So is your contention that indoctrination becomes acceptable once the position in question is backed by the state?

No. My position is 'indoctrination' by the state, in the state education system is accountable to the public. As you know.

'Indoctrination' in the family unit should not be unaccountable, particularly in matters of personal belief where a child does not acquiesce to the family unit's belief system and wishes to express its belief contrary to that.

I don't see why the person who is being asked to uncritically accept a set of beliefs they do not choose to hold to would care if the organ teaching them these beliefs is accountable to the public. In the end it is still forcing beliefs on someone who rejects them, which is indoctrination per Ferguson's definition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies