Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:26:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 207470 times)
96FJV
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4150 on: November 12, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »

Is it true Kyl is only serving till the end of this year? If so,  McSally could be in the senate after all.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4151 on: November 12, 2018, 09:00:01 PM »

Is it true Kyl is only serving till the end of this year? If so,  McSally could be in the senate after all.

I'd bet on it.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4152 on: November 12, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »

Speaker Pelosi? Not so fast!

I kinda knew this would happen.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4153 on: November 12, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »

I doubt the rule change goes through, does not have much support within the caucus.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4154 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »

Arizona pulled through in a way that Florida couldn't! Clearly one of these states with a high percentage of old, white retirees is better than the other. So thanks, Arizona, you decreased the Republican net gains in the Senate and helped take me out of my post-November 6 election malaise. It really is kind of remarkable to me that a bisexual, nonreligious Democrat managed to defeat a female Republican veteran. Sinema has clearly provided a road-map as to how a Democrat can win statewide in Arizona, and it needs to be considered for 2020.

The problem for McSally is that she ran as McTrump and Arizona hates Trump.

That's why she lost.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #4155 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »

So its not going to pass, is what it says. Rule Change doesnt have the votes.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4156 on: November 12, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »

I don't doubt there's some people that want a newer face as Speaker. The problem is who? There doesn't seem to be an alternative being put forth.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4157 on: November 12, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »

I don't doubt there's some people that want a newer face as Speaker. The problem is who? There doesn't seem to be an alternative being put forth.

Personally I'm a big fan of the "Beto for Speaker" idea. And I usually abhor pie-in-the-sky Democratic fantasies.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4158 on: November 12, 2018, 09:43:01 PM »

Kyrsten of the House Sinema, the First of Her Name, The Unbeaten, Queen of the Mohave, the Arizonans and her citizens, Queen of Phoenix, Khaleesi of the Desert, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Senators
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4159 on: November 12, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »

Kyrsten of the House Sinema, the First of Her Name, The Unbeaten, Queen of the Mohave, the Arizonans and her citizens, Queen of Phoenix, Khaleesi of the Desert, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Senators

Didn’t the Lemony Snicket books have a King of Arizona? I guess they have a queen now.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4160 on: November 12, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »

So lost Mohave by a lot.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4161 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:06 PM »

Personally I'm a big fan of the "Beto for Speaker" idea. And I usually abhor pie-in-the-sky Democratic fantasies.

It's an idea, but it would probably ruin his future political prospects, given the toxicity of the Speakership.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4162 on: November 12, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »

Just let Pelosi have it. Speaker isn't the same as running for President, congressional leaders don't need to be popular(look at Mitch McConnell, everyone hates him but he's good at his job). She is the best by far, she has a proven record and you don't want to put up a lightweight against McConnell and Trump. I had somewhat bought into the Pelosi being a liability line, but the Democrats won the election anyway, and Pelosi will probably retire in 2021(certainly if Democrats win the House), so she is just needed to make sure this Democratic majority is put to good use. She earned it too. The Democrats shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot on Day One, Speaker Pelosi is the best outcome.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4163 on: November 12, 2018, 10:01:56 PM »

So lost Mohave by a lot.

Shhhushh
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4164 on: November 12, 2018, 10:03:34 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2018, 10:08:45 PM by Interlocutor »

Kim's lead narrowed .4% in Orange County.

Walters is only up .4% now.

Where are people getting these numbers? NYT still has Walters up 1% and Kim up 1.4%.

From this Twitter page. The SOS page seems behind rn.

At least for my county (Riverside). They're behind by 3 vote dumps

More news from CA: Tony Thurmond is only behind Marshall Tuck by about 13,000 votes.
Have late ballots been breaking towards Thurmond?

Yep. CA Secretary of State now has him leading by 4,000 votes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4165 on: November 12, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »

Just let Pelosi have it. Speaker isn't the same as running for President, congressional leaders don't need to be popular(look at Mitch McConnell, everyone hates him but he's good at his job). She is the best by far, she has a proven record and you don't want to put up a lightweight against McConnell and Trump. I had somewhat bought into the Pelosi being a liability line, but the Democrats won the election anyway, and Pelosi will probably retire in 2021(certainly if Democrats win the House), so she is just needed to make sure this Democratic majority is put to good use. She earned it too. The Democrats shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot on Day One, Speaker Pelosi is the best outcome.

This 100%.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4166 on: November 12, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »

Stephen King has called it for Golden.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4167 on: November 12, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »

More news from CA: Tony Thurmond is only behind Marshall Tuck by about 13,000 votes.
Have late ballots been breaking towards Thurmond?

I don’t have exact numbers, but it has been getting tighter. I’d lean yes to your question.
Unfortunately yes.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4168 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »

I am glad that Arizona has broken its 30-year Republican Senatorial streak. Hopefully, Sinema reaches the 50% mark with the remaining votes, as that would leave Manchin as the only Democrat to win without an absolute majority.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4169 on: November 12, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »

I am glad that Arizona has broken its 30-year Republican Senatorial streak. Hopefully, Sinema reaches the 50% mark with the remaining votes, as that would leave Manchin as the only Democrat to win without an absolute majority.

You have to realize how impressive Sinema's win is with the Green candidate taking almost 2.5% of the votes
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #4170 on: November 12, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »

You have to realize how impressive Sinema's win is with the Green candidate taking almost 2.5% of the votes

Yes. The fact that Dems+Greens got 4.5 percentage points more than the Reps is good news in this state for 2020.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4171 on: November 12, 2018, 11:24:55 PM »

I bet Arizona will be the tipping point state in the 2020 Presidential election, and there will be a Green candidate who gets just enough votes for Trump to be re-elected.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4172 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:13 PM »

I do. Even though it was close, she did end a 30-year losing streak for Democrats here, in regards to the Senate.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4173 on: November 12, 2018, 11:39:23 PM »

I do. Even though it was close, she did end a 30-year losing streak for Democrats here, in regards to the Senate.

I wouldn't consider that "close".

The race would have to be within 0.5%
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #4174 on: November 12, 2018, 11:40:18 PM »

Arizona pulled through in a way that Florida couldn't! Clearly one of these states with a high percentage of old, white retirees is better than the other. So thanks, Arizona, you decreased the Republican net gains in the Senate and helped take me out of my post-November 6 election malaise. It really is kind of remarkable to me that a bisexual, nonreligious Democrat managed to defeat a female Republican veteran. Sinema has clearly provided a road-map as to how a Democrat can win statewide in Arizona, and it needs to be considered for 2020.

The problem for McSally is that she ran as McTrump and Arizona hates Trump.

That's why she lost.
According to the CNN exit poll his net approval rating in the state is +5.
https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls/arizona/senate
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies