Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 07:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 207414 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3725 on: November 10, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »

The Navajo batch from today scared me a bit they countered the trend we've been seeing of McSally doing worse with ballots later on. The ones out of that county have been trending more favorable to her by a huge margin. Yea its only one county but it shows such a abnormal trend is possible elsewhere.
Navajo has a high Mormon population, yet McSally is only up by mid-single digits.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #3726 on: November 10, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »

The Navajo batch from today scared me a bit they countered the trend we've been seeing of McSally doing worse with ballots later on. The ones out of that county have been trending more favorable to her by a huge margin. Yea its only one county but it shows such a abnormal trend is possible elsewhere.
Navajo has a high Mormon population, yet McSally is only up by mid-single digits.

Yea I know but those ballots counted today out of Navajo were likely from election day as they were the last one counted and they trended heavy R. Maricopa election day vote was supposedly heavy R too so she could conceivably get the same overperformance there.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3727 on: November 10, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »

Gimme dem Maricopa digits!
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3728 on: November 10, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »

Navajo County is weird because nearly everyone who lives there is either a Mormon Republican or a Native American Democrat. So oddities with Mormon or Native voting patterns (e.g., Natives don’t vote by mail because they’re less likely to have a mailing address) will show up there but are irrelevant elsewhere (except in Apache County, which has the same dynamic but more Natives and fewer Mormons).
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3729 on: November 10, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »

Yea I know but those ballots counted today out of Navajo were likely from election day as they were the last one counted and they trended heavy R. Maricopa election day vote was supposedly heavy R too so she could conceivably get the same overperformance there.

It has already been discussed to dead.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #3730 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »

It has already been discussed to dead.

So theoretically would R+10 or R+12 be enough for Sinema to lose at this point?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3731 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »

The real race in AZ is SoS now.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3732 on: November 10, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »

This was from last night, but it essentially remains the same:

McSally needs to win the rest of the Maricopa County vote by 11% (probably a bit more now with what came and what is left from Pima). So far, she's only winning the ED voters in Maricopa County by 5.2%.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3733 on: November 10, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »

Here we go!

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3734 on: November 10, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3735 on: November 10, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »

TBF, they might have been a more conservative generation had Clinton been election. Trump is going to do to Zers what Bush did to Millennials.

One of the few things to ease my worries under Trump is thinking about the catastrophe that would have awaited us had Clinton won. Given what we saw on Tuesday, it's fair to say that Republicans would have a real good shot at a filibuster proof majority, and even bigger House majority, absurdly dominant power at the state level right before redistricting (again), and they'd most likely win the White House in 2020 anyway. That would basically be 2009-level of power for Republicans for at least 2 years, and a Senate majority that might last decade(s).

Whatever one thinks about Trump, we really did dodge a bullet there.

The question becomes is all that worth a Supreme Court Majority. I'm assuming a Clinton win would also come with a small Democratic majority in the Senate (flipping MO, PA and WI).

Republicans would never have given a hearing to anyone Clinton had nominated anyway. Also, with things going the way they have gone, support for court packing has steadily risen (and will rise further if Trump ends up replacing Ginsburg or anything like that, and will rise with each of the many unpopular decisions the partisan GOP SCOTUS may make).
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3736 on: November 10, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »

I kinda just realized. Ed Case didnt rejoin the Blue Dogs this year(he had the chance to, he never did). Is it possible that he has moved Left? Or is Ed being weird?

Who wants to join a club in which you are the only member?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3737 on: November 10, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »

TBF, they might have been a more conservative generation had Clinton been election. Trump is going to do to Zers what Bush did to Millennials.

One of the few things to ease my worries under Trump is thinking about the catastrophe that would have awaited us had Clinton won. Given what we saw on Tuesday, it's fair to say that Republicans would have a real good shot at a filibuster proof majority, and even bigger House majority, absurdly dominant power at the state level right before redistricting (again), and they'd most likely win the White House in 2020 anyway. That would basically be 2009-level of power for Republicans for at least 2 years, and a Senate majority that might last decade(s).

Whatever one thinks about Trump, we really did dodge a bullet there.

The question becomes is all that worth a Supreme Court Majority. I'm assuming a Clinton win would also come with a small Democratic majority in the Senate (flipping MO, PA and WI).

Republicans would never have given a hearing to anyone Clinton had nominated anyway. Also, with things going the way they have gone, support for court packing has steadily risen (and will rise further if Trump ends up replacing Ginsburg or anything like that, and will rise with each of the many unpopular decisions the partisan GOP SCOTUS may make).

That's why I said I would assume a Clinton win would include a Democratic Senate.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3738 on: November 10, 2018, 07:01:47 PM »

Maricopa time?
InheritTheWind

« Reply #3739 on: November 10, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

Maricopa just updated, I believe.

Sinema now leads by 38K. SoS race now within a 3.2K margin.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3740 on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »

Yup!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3741 on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:16 PM »

Sinema +28,688
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3742 on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »

That's why I said I would assume a Clinton win would include a Democratic Senate.

Ah, sorry.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3743 on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »

Gaynor's (SoS) lead cut in half, now at 3,120

How many more votes do we have left? Also, wasn't this batch supposed to be more McSally-friendly? If so, does that mean Gaynor could lose even more tomorrow?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3744 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »

I kinda just realized. Ed Case didnt rejoin the Blue Dogs this year(he had the chance to, he never did). Is it possible that he has moved Left? Or is Ed being weird?

Who wants to join a club in which you are the only member?

Actually a handful of new Blue Dogs were elected (Van Drew, Cunningham, Horn).
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3745 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »

Maricopa on EDay: SINEMA+3
Maricopa latest batch: SINEMA+7
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3746 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »

BREAKING: Rep. Kyrsten Sinema(D) elected Senator from Arizona, defeating Rep. Martha McSally (R), winning the seat for Democrats for the first time since 1988.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3747 on: November 10, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »

It would be fantastic to pick up AZ SOS. Get that election administration under Dem control for 2020.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3748 on: November 10, 2018, 07:05:00 PM »

Gaynor only leading by 3,120. Dems should pick up the SoS as well.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3749 on: November 10, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »

So like, should Sinema declare victory?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length