Virginia Governor's Race 2013 -Who's Gonna Win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:57:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Governor's Race 2013 -Who's Gonna Win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you think is most likely to win this November?
Terry McAuliffe (D)

Ken Cuccinelli (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 168

Author Topic: Virginia Governor's Race 2013 -Who's Gonna Win?  (Read 67771 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »

I am just hoping that the over the top statements some candidates are making will drive up turnout.  If turnout approaches a Presidential election, it would be impossible for the Republicans to win any of these races...

Turnout most certainly won't approach presidential levels.

Imagine if it did though. What reason other than ensuring low voter turn-out do these states like New Jersey, Virginia, and Mississippi have for having their elections in off-years? The Virginia gubernatorial election consistently has a voting-eligible population turnout of under 40%. It's probably even lower for the state legislature.

Same deal with NYC and their mayoral election.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »

Having off-year elections allows a focus on state instead of federal issues in election season, and for that I consider it a very good thing. 

It's a choice between low turn-out and 'focus' and I don't see how state or federal issues are that much different. It's not like you're going to be doing A federally and B at the state level or that the state elections are going to get crowded out by federal ones. Portland, OR has its mayoral elections in presidential years and there's plenty of discussion of the issues. I don't notice things being inadequate compared to the coverage in Los Angeles' off-year mayoral election. Same thing with Governor and even then you have mid-terms, there's no need to go off-year for Governor and the state legislature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies