California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:44:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 65930 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2023, 01:06:40 PM »

Porter just had a big scandal regarding her treatment of staff, not sure she runs for senate at this point.  The main two candidates im likely to support at this point are either Khanna or Barbra Lee, though ill wait to see who announces and what their platform is before I make any commitments.

If she gets in, I'm all in on Barbara Lee. At this point, I think she'd be the frontrunner.

LoL Adam Schiff is the Fav he is anxious to get outta H

You dk this state. He will be perceived as a boring white guy, precluding a lot of D support, and would probably lose a lot of Republicans to the progressive, bitter about what he did to Trump. His only support will be billionaires and celebrities, and anybody remotely diverse will prolly bhtfo
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2023, 05:17:17 PM »

Porter is apparently weighing a Senate run even before Feinstein has announced any retirement plans:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/06/katie-porter-eyes-senate-run-as-feinstein-stays-mum-00076832

Rep. Katie Porter is weighing a campaign launch for Sen. Dianne Feinstein‘s seat — potentially even before her veteran Democratic colleague announces her plans for 2024.

Fresh off a bruising battleground reelection win, the third-term Porter is now considering a bid for what is likely to be an open Senate seat in deep-blue California as a next step, according to five Democrats familiar with her plans. Feinstein is widely expected to retire after her current term, but she isn’t making any firm moves yet ahead of what’s expected to be an official announcement within the next couple months.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2023, 06:16:49 PM »

Porter is apparently weighing a Senate run even before Feinstein has announced any retirement plans:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/06/katie-porter-eyes-senate-run-as-feinstein-stays-mum-00076832

Rep. Katie Porter is weighing a campaign launch for Sen. Dianne Feinstein‘s seat — potentially even before her veteran Democratic colleague announces her plans for 2024.

Fresh off a bruising battleground reelection win, the third-term Porter is now considering a bid for what is likely to be an open Senate seat in deep-blue California as a next step, according to five Democrats familiar with her plans. Feinstein is widely expected to retire after her current term, but she isn’t making any firm moves yet ahead of what’s expected to be an official announcement within the next couple months.

It will play to Barbara Lee's advantage, and the article makes it sound like she is likely to run. Porter should prolly have just stayed in her House seat at this point :/
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2023, 09:29:23 PM »

It will play to Barbara Lee's advantage, and the article makes it sound like she is likely to run. Porter should prolly have just stayed in her House seat at this point :/
Barbara Lee is 76 today and 78 in 2024. Dianne Feinstein is 89 today and 91 in 2024. Why should California replace someone very old with someone old?
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2023, 09:51:28 AM »

Barbara Lee is 76 today and 78 in 2024. Dianne Feinstein is 89 today and 91 in 2024. Why should California replace someone very old with someone old?

I’m agnostic about all of that. We’re also replacing a white oligarch with Alzheimer’s with a black woman who was the sole vote against the Afghanistan war. I’m not a single issue voter on age and neither is anyone I know.

There are also complicated racial dynamics and equity dynamics. Tbh I think Lee is probably even more progressive than Porter. She’s also very dynamic and likeable. There is also the fact that NorCal punches above its weight in statewide primaries, generally speaking.

I also could see her flaming out maybe, but I dk if I would bet on it is all I’m saying.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »

Feinstein doesn't just have forgetfulness she is more conservative and threatening to block Filibuster reform, she ended up voting for it but that wasn't the real vote because it was a tied S what would happen if her vote is key to overthrow the Filibuster
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2023, 05:45:59 PM »

Gonna drop in and say I want Ted Lieu to run and win this race. But, he's Vice Chair of the House Democratic Caucus so probably won't run.
JMT

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2023, 10:34:18 AM »

Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2023, 10:45:21 AM »

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2023, 10:48:23 AM »

This is going to be the biggest race in California in decades.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2023, 10:48:41 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2023, 10:58:19 AM by Roll Roons »

Porter may be one of my least favorite politicians in the country. I’d rather have six more years of zombie Feinstein.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2023, 11:03:18 AM »

I don't have a preference in the race yet, other than NOT DiFi, who I believe will ultimately retire. I could see myself supporting Porter, but want to see who else comes forward.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2023, 11:31:17 AM »

Feinstein should have followed Barbara Boxer's example and retire with dignity.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2023, 11:32:52 AM »

I don't have a preference in the race yet, other than NOT DiFi, who I believe will ultimately retire. I could see myself supporting Porter, but want to see who else comes forward.

It's gonna be Schiff v Porter
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2023, 11:34:56 AM »

I guess the question now is who replaces Porter in the House. Irvine's Mayor maybe?
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2023, 12:35:07 PM »

Rumor that former congressman Harley Rouda will make an announcement soon as well:

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2023, 01:03:40 PM »

Katie Porter has released two polls.
One is a primary poll among “non Republicans” which has her at 30, Schiff 29, Lee 9, Khanna 6.

The other is a head-to-head among all voters which has her handily beating Schiff, with the help of large advantage among Republicans, with over a third of voters undecided.

The primary and general are among the same electorate, so the polling is definitely deceptive, though it’s fairly obvious why she chose to do this.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2023, 01:04:34 PM »

Rumor that former congressman Harley Rouda will make an announcement soon as well:

I heard last year from a Porter staffer that Rouda didn't run against Porter in exchange for her not stepping in the primary while she runs for Senate so I expect Rouda to run and be the D nominee in her district.

Im very lukewarm on Porter after the staffer scandal

and even without she votes pretty moderately in the house, she's better than Schiff and if it comes down to those 2 I'm behind her, but I'd prefer someone more progressive like Barbra Lee and Ro Khanna.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2023, 01:13:50 PM »

Isn't California currently experiencing a massive and rare natural disaster? Seems like this launch could and should have been delayed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2023, 01:20:22 PM »

Barbara Lee being talked about as a serious candidate is...surprising. She's 76 now and she'd be 78 at the time of the election, which would make her the oldest elected freshman in history. I'd vote for her if she were to run, I suppose, but her running doesn't really make any sense except from a pure identity politics perspective.

Isn't California currently experiencing a massive and rare natural disaster? Seems like this launch could and should have been delayed.

I don't really think so? It's been raining hard and I guess it's raining hard in the south too, but it's not clear to me that this is worse than the last big storm, which was in October 2021.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2023, 01:44:47 PM »

How rude! I fully expect Feinstein to run in 2024 and even 2030.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2023, 01:48:28 PM »

Spectator
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2023, 01:49:24 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2023, 01:53:28 PM by Spectator »

I heard last year from a Porter staffer that Rouda didn't run against Porter in exchange for her not stepping in the primary while she runs for Senate so I expect Rouda to run and be the D nominee in her district.

Im very lukewarm on Porter after the staffer scandal

and even without she votes pretty moderately in the house, she's better than Schiff and if it comes down to those 2 I'm behind her, but I'd prefer someone more progressive like Barbra Lee and Ro Khanna.

Yikes, hope she loses. It's the last text that is really tone deaf for me.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2023, 01:54:47 PM »

Barbara Lee being talked about as a serious candidate is...surprising. She's 76 now and she'd be 78 at the time of the election, which would make her the oldest elected freshman in history. I'd vote for her if she were to run, I suppose, but her running doesn't really make any sense except from a pure identity politics perspective.

I don't really think so? It's been raining hard and I guess it's raining hard in the south too, but it's not clear to me that this is worse than the last big storm, which was in October 2021.

It's bad in Los Angeles, to the extent that I expect serious property damage for constituents in Porter's district if it's anything like here. All the discourse is political posturing, but her announcement does seem poorly timed.

To answer your above question, with all due respect you are really selling short Barbara Lee. She's not just some Black Congresswoman. She's an icon on the left, an AOC long before anyone like that was in Congress, the sole voice of reason in the lead up to our failed and $2 trillion invasion of Afghanistan, one of the only Reps to vote against the train strike being unlawfully ended.

Porter's poll is probably underestimating Barbara Lee. Ultimately, I doubt she gets in because of her age. But it is upsetting to see how she's getting treated by the media and party. She is what Katie Porter pretends to be, and yes she also happens to be a Black woman.

If Lee runs, she will run up the margins in Black communities, probably play well in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, and SF, and very likely win over the actual left (not PCCC, but more DSA types). I would be almost certain to vote for her, and I imagine the other 100,000 members of DSA LA would also vote pretty in unison on that.

Katie Porter has released two polls.
One is a primary poll among “non Republicans” which has her at 30, Schiff 29, Lee 9, Khanna 6.

The other is a head-to-head among all voters which has her handily beating Schiff, with the help of large advantage among Republicans, with over a third of voters undecided.

The primary and general are among the same electorate, so the polling is definitely deceptive, though it’s fairly obvious why she chose to do this.

What I think she isn't counting on is how Republican/centrists votes will shift when giant corporations inevitably spend millions on Schiff's behalf against her. If it comes down to these two, it will be expensive and nasty... but I think that the writing is on the wall.

I also worry that Schiff would play hardball with Barbara Lee too, but it has higher backfire potential there. Either way, Trump antagonist or not, Adam Schiff is a slippery corporate tool and will not get my vote

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2023, 02:09:31 PM »

To answer your above question, with all due respect you are really selling short Barbara Lee. She's not just some Black Congresswoman. She's an icon on the left, an AOC long before anyone like that was in Congress, the sole voice of reason in the lead up to our failed and $2 trillion invasion of Afghanistan, one of the only Reps to vote against the train strike being unlawfully ended.

Porter's poll is probably underestimating Barbara Lee. Ultimately, I doubt she gets in because of her age. But it is upsetting to see how she's getting treated by the media and party. She is what Katie Porter pretends to be, and yes she also happens to be a Black woman.

Yeah, fair enough. Like I said, I'd vote for her, but I can't see how she'd have enough support to win except on the principle that that one of the senatorial seats has to belong to a black woman. This is, basically, what Gavin Newsom's approach to politics is, and it was in that sense that she was mentioned as a candidate for Kamala Harris's seat a couple years ago. It's tokenistic and unfair, but I don't think that there are any politicians in statewide office who are allowed to be anything but tokens of their particular identity group except Gavin Newsom.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies