How long until Iowa is to the right of Missouri?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:57:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How long until Iowa is to the right of Missouri?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How long until Iowa is to the right of Missouri?  (Read 3029 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »

Like assuming anywhere remotely cosmopolitan will indefinitely become more Democratic, haha.

With the exception of cosmopolitan areas that are getting large influxes of boomer retirees, I think this is a fairly reliable indicator at least in the next few cycles.

Most cosmopolitan areas are younger, more ethnically/racially/religiously diverse, often more secular, more educated, etc.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

Like assuming anywhere remotely cosmopolitan will indefinitely become more Democratic, haha.

With the exception of cosmopolitan areas that are getting large influxes of boomer retirees, I think this is a fairly reliable indicator at least in the next few cycles.

Most cosmopolitan areas are younger, more ethnically/racially/religiously diverse, often more secular, more educated, etc.

I agree in the next few cycles, but he said “permanent.”  Something will shake up our coalitions in the coming decades.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 12:41:34 AM »

I agree in the next few cycles, but he said “permanent.”  Something will shake up our coalitions in the coming decades.

Some things don't change though. Wyoming, Kansas, Utah (to some extent), Nebraska, among others, have all been Republican strongholds for their entire existence, with Kansas even resisting Democrats at the height of the Great Depression.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »

Some things don't change though. Wyoming, Kansas, Utah (to some extent), Nebraska, among others, have all been Republican strongholds for their entire existence, with Kansas even resisting Democrats at the height of the Great Depression.

The educated and suburban state of kansas needs a populist like 1896 to be winnable for D's
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »

Well yeah, some things will.  However, I would argue those things tend to be related to the "baked in" ideology of the parties - no matter the type of Democrat, they will pay lip service to the "disadvantaged" and no matter the type of Republican, they will pay lip service to the idea of the "self made man" or whatever - and not things as sudden as Trump.  Don't get me wrong, the idea that Trump is some never-before-seen type of Republican is just wrong, but I highly doubt he'll usher in 100 years of static political coalitions.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »

I agree in the next few cycles, but he said “permanent.”  Something will shake up our coalitions in the coming decades.

Even those things can eventually change. The Democrats were the Party of the south for generations until they weren’t. The GOP were the Party of New England for generations until they weren’t. Some things in politics which seem like 100 year+ long constants can change.

After all it wasn’t until 2008 when we finally elect a Democratic President who for the first time not only didn’t carry Arkansas but lost the state quite badly.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »

What did some of you expect? The OP is the same person who said that the GOP would get like ~15% of the black vote or something like that, lol.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 02:41:15 AM »

I agree in the next few cycles, but he said “permanent.”  Something will shake up our coalitions in the coming decades.

Even those things can eventually change. The Democrats were the Party of the south for generations until they weren’t. The GOP were the Party of New England for generations until they weren’t. Some things in politics which seem like 100 year+ long constants can change.

After all it wasn’t until 2008 when we finally elect a Democratic President who for the first time not only didn’t carry Arkansas but lost the state quite badly.

Of course, things are the way they are, up until that's not true anymore. I think the 2016 trends will be sticking around for a while is my argument.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies