Four years ago today... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:04:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Four years ago today... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Four years ago today...  (Read 1932 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

Exactly.  That's what's scary: someone with absolutely no experience, with no knowledge of how foreign policy works, with no background whatsoever in leadership, who claims to be an "agent of change" but is unable to provide any proof that he has ever been such now actually stands a chance at becoming the leader of our nation during its most unstable and uncertain time in decades.  With an ongoing war, terrorism, facing enemies unlike any we've ever faced--people who want to kill us just because we're Americans--a crisis in health care, uncertainty about the economy, global warming....this guy with no prior history dealing in any of these matters might now suddenly be leading us through it all.

I know everyone else here (not to mention every single news outlet in the country) is blindly and for no reason obsessed with him, but I, for one, am pretty scared.

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. People will tell you that what you said in nonsense and he is the best at yada yada yada, but I have yet to see an example of when he has crossed party lines to get things done or at least attempt to get things done. He is a great speaker and plays to people's emotions, which is a great plus for him, but scares the living s**t out of me.

I don't know a thing about his plans or policies, and neither do many of my friends that work for his campaign! That's how amazed I am at this fairy tale.

To Obama supporters: how do you know he's the best at foreign policy on both sides? You believe he knows more about foreign policy and has more experience than John McCain? A four term senator? Listen to how silly you sound! What track record does he have to suggest he can get things done and reach across the isle and work with a congress with Republicans and Democrats? The media has blown this whole thing out of proportion to where he's no longer a candidate, but a cult following.

Being a state senator is guess is experience, but it's nothing like running a state or being in the national congress.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »

Exactly.  That's what's scary: someone with absolutely no experience, with no knowledge of how foreign policy works, with no background whatsoever in leadership, who claims to be an "agent of change" but is unable to provide any proof that he has ever been such now actually stands a chance at becoming the leader of our nation during its most unstable and uncertain time in decades.  With an ongoing war, terrorism, facing enemies unlike any we've ever faced--people who want to kill us just because we're Americans--a crisis in health care, uncertainty about the economy, global warming....this guy with no prior history dealing in any of these matters might now suddenly be leading us through it all.

I know everyone else here (not to mention every single news outlet in the country) is blindly and for no reason obsessed with him, but I, for one, am pretty scared.

I don't disagree with that at all (except for the fact that he does have experience on the state level).  However, does one actually need to have all that experience to be a good leader?  With the right set of advisors and work environment, you can be quite effective as a leader, since your job is to take available information (combined with guts) and make sound decisions.  I feel, however, this is why Governors, Generals, and Lawyers/Businessmen tend to win the Presidency over Congressmen and Senators, since they've had to make these decisions and follow through with them.  

Can Barack do it?  I'm sure he can.  Is he the "best qualified?"  No.

Can he do it? Sure he can. Does a leader need experience? Well, I guess not. His performances in the debates have been lackluster at best, and the way he talks about what he'd do during a crisis is a bit upsetting. Leaders become better ones when they learn from experience. Do we want someone learning on the job during one of the most unstable periods in in US history? Will the extremists who want to kill us suddenly lay down their arms in response to the great Barack's message of hope? 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems and look at their plight with a tolerant eye! Maybe they will soften us up with a good string of attacks before we meet. That is what they are known to do, unless his message of hope even makes them with they were American.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems

Yeah.  Damn that Ronald Reagan for sitting down with the extremists who wanted to destroy America in the 80's.

The USSR and the Islamic fundies are totally different. One was a nation that really didn't want war any more than we did, and the other is a group that glorifies death and WANTS to die killing westerns. Children grow up with dreams of 72 virgins in heaven and being a hero for walking into a group of people and setting off a bomb. The soviets weren't nice people either, but relations in the 1980's presented a leader on the soviets side who was ready for change and a more peaceful coexistence.

I have yet to see Osama bin Laden or any other extremist leader come out and want to do the same. Their goal is to establish an Islamic society and rid the world of sinners and anyone who disagrees with their beliefs. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »

Reagan also didn't want to sit down with them at first. He built up arms and the military until the soviets finally were ready to talk. he didnt run on the platform of negotiating with them. He called them the evil empire for Christ's sake. Why try to compare what Obama wants to do to Reagan? This is absolutely getting out of control now!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems and look at their plight with a tolerant eye!

Of course, because the Bush doctrine has worked so well. It makes sense to elect another Bush-clone like McCain or Romney.

Give Iraq time. The Taliban has been all but driven from their post, and Afghanistan has a functioning Democracy. North Korea has dismantled their nuclear facilities thanks to multinational talks. Iraq will turn around. Those who said it would be quick and easy were wrong. No wars are. The Bush doctrine has not been a total failure. But I know I can't convince you of that no matter what I say.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies