Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:18:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa  (Read 76001 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2004, 11:17:20 PM »

I'm in favor of a bigger government in terms of economic affairs. I support much less government in social affairs, though, so overall, I guess I don't support a "bigger government", just a shift in government priorities.

Though, since I'm making a career of working in government, I suppose I do have a biased view on that. Since "smaller government" means "fewer government jobs".

What part of the U.S. government deals with 'Social affairs'?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2004, 01:25:58 AM »

several created by President Carter, I think.   and Kucinich has a few more ideas for interesting departments, like a department of Peace.
MarkDel

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2004, 01:28:08 AM »

Angus,

Department of Peace...Kucinich is funnier than any Saturday Night Live skit.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2004, 02:16:14 AM »

This has been an extremely interesting thread. As for natural selection, guys, it's too late to try and reverse a lot of the things we've brought onto ourselves. Like bad eyesight. If somoene has bad eyesight nowadays, they're going to get glasses. Oh well.

I find one thing very amusing, and that's how in such short periods of time, the idea of a "liberal" idea and a "conservative" idea have been twisted around. Fiscal responsibility could actually be taken away from the Republicans, if the Democrats play their cards right. Humanitarian Aid used to be a liberal idea, now it's the driving force for why we went into Iraq, since the first argument about WMDs threatening us didn't pan out.

I'm pretty moderate. I vote for Democrats and Republicans alike. I may vote for Nader in 2004, since MD isn't exactly a "swing state."

1. I'm for free trade, but in order to fix problems that NAFTA creates, you can't REPEAL it, that just makes the problem worse. Help make NAFTA better, that should be a concern for anyone who doesn't like it.

2. I'd support a Balanced Budget Amendment.

3. With the deficit rising, social security funding needs to be slightly cut (as does defense spending, though), and social programs need to be analyzed. Those which truly aren't benefiting anyone need to be scrapped. Lower taxes is great, but I'll pay them if it helps the majority of my generation.

4. Race-based affirmative action should be scrapped. I would probably support a class-based affirmative action.

5. Against gay marriage in name, but give the queers their civil unions, that has EVERY benefit of heterosexual marriage. Social security, hospital visits, etc.

6. Less stringent enviornmental regulations. Keep the necessary ones in place, but states like Oregon and Washington take a big hit with stupid-!@#$ enviornmental laws. There are a lot of things that happent to the earth (most of them are NATURAL). In a billion years the sun will collapse anyway, so there.

7. I'm not staunchly against faith-based charity programs, but before you use these, make sure the non-faith based ones are receiving adequate attention.

8. I'm against imperialism masqueading as "humanitarian aid." If you're going to help out crappy countries, there are ones in more dire straits than Iraq.

9. The secularism in America is becoming ridiculous. Teachers can't say the word God or wear a cross around their neck, and the !@#$ing Christmas Vacation, the week off from school that kids love, has become the "Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Break".

On the flip side, I'm very much pro-choice, pro-welfare (true, honest reform is extremely difficult without hurting those who are legitimately using it), anti-capital punishment, pro-immigration, and a strong supporter of public schools (and making them better).

Agree with most of this.  Section 8 housing is a big pro- conservative issue for me being from NE Philly.  I'm basically for limiting, not eliminating it because a lot of people on it are lazy drug addicts that stay up all night and blast their rap music while I'm trying to sleep.  Solution- Job training and increased college/vocational grants.  It's not fair that I and others have to work for a living and these lazy people are living next to me.    
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2004, 12:47:16 PM »

If they're going to be lazy they deserve nothing from the government.  That's the fundamental problem with any welfare system.  If the system was only available to those who are looking actively for gainful empolyment but can't either due to a bad jobs market, poor training, or the lack of a permanent address, then the system would work much better.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2004, 03:58:14 PM »

This is from the Finnish/European perspective:

I consider myself as conservative, but I am

1) Pro trade unions
2) Pro universal healthcare (Well, most European conservatives are. And I'd like to see that it would be produced by private companies. This is the conservative position in most European countries, btw)
3) Pro civil unions.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2004, 06:21:25 PM »

I'm conservative on civil rights.  I'm staunchly against things like quotas and special treatment because of ethnicity or gender.
Sk
Rookie

« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2004, 08:05:16 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2004, 08:07:48 PM by Sk »

Economically I'm so right-wing I agree with libertarians more than I do Reps. But in social terms I have to say things like gay marriage, AA, banning the death penalty, and others make me a little uneasy (although I confess that the gay marriage issue is a very complex one, don't misunderstand!).
    However, one of my liberal traits is that I think we should legalize drugs in order to:

1. Rid our streets of gangs
2. Lower the price of these drugs and therefore decrease drug related crimes
3. Refocus our police forces to stop underage drug use and more important crimes
4. Rid our prisons of drug abusers and replace them with real criminals
5. Get rid of the illegal drug-oriented government agencies
6. Give people a huge-ass tax cut

Sorry for the rant. I figured my position needed a little defending. I only want to do this because I feel it is a better alternative then what we have now. In other words, I in no way condone drug use.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2004, 05:42:07 AM »

My most conservative traits are...
1) Pro Free Trade
2) Pro Privatisation (apart from health, social security)
3) I'm strongly in favour of Personal Responsibility
4) Pro Nuclear Deterent.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2004, 11:25:27 PM »

People are amazed at the fact that I usually oppose gun control.

But I think this view is pretty consistent with my other views.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2004, 12:10:09 AM »

I'd say the only thing  that I am Conservative on is finishing Iraq (although I was against the war & disagree with the way Bush & co has led the war) I do think we need to finish the job & not pull out (not really a Conservative only position as many liberals including Kerry feel we need to finish the job there, but its the only thing I can think of that I am more conservative on)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2004, 08:30:32 PM »

My most liberal position is on NAFTA. I am for an  "America First" trade policy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »

Besides being conservative on civil rights, I also think we should be extensively drilling off the Californian and Floridian Coasts and ANWAR.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2006, 01:15:20 AM »

I am for more gun control.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2006, 02:19:06 AM »

Why should people not be able to defend themselves?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2006, 02:22:24 AM »

The Democratic party has moved enough to the right that I don't think I have the Republican party's position on anything. That said, there are some issues that I don't care much about like gun control and immigration.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2006, 02:25:52 AM »

Why should people not be able to defend themselves?

No, don't get me wrong--I think people should be able to have guns.  In fact, if someone robs your house w/ a knife, gun, or hammer, I think you have every right to kill them for your safety.  And if you injure them--they shouldn't be able to sue you.  I just see know need for a semi-auto rifle to do this.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2006, 02:30:39 AM »

The Democratic party has moved enough to the right that I don't think I have the Republican party's position on anything. That said, there are some issues that I don't care much about like gun control and immigration.

I forgot imigration--I think illegal aliens should be deported, and the borders be tightened, but we still should have some immigration.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2006, 03:16:34 AM »

I had a batch of ver 'liberal' positions (like legalising prostitution within defined areas) and very 'conservative' ones (more private schools and ability streaming) which when they come together appear to cancel each other out on the political compass Smiley Thank god for the Political Matrix!
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2006, 04:33:17 AM »

This isn't a very Libertarian friendly thread. Tongue

That being said, here are a few non-libertarian things of mine.

Very Pro-Capital Punishment
Moderate on Environment
Moderate on Defense
Anti-Illegal Immigration
Pro-Minimum Wage
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2006, 07:07:59 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2006, 07:25:13 AM by dazzleman »

I don't oppose reasonable increases in the minimum wage, though I don't think the minimum wage can ever be a truly living wage.

I am more supportive of mass transit, and research for alternative energy sources, than the typical Republican/conservative.

I don't condemn gay relationships from a personal point of view, though I oppose calling them marriage, and my personal preference is to hang out with predominantly heterosexual people, though I have a few friends who are gay.

I am very tolerant, even supportive, of raunchy jokes and stories, and certain types of 'bad' behavior, though I think the stereotype that conservatives don't like this type of thing is a false stereotype.

At work, I am considered one of the most liberal managers from a personnel development point of view -- in the sense that people working under me have a lot of freedom to make their own decisions and strike out on their own initiative without my direct control.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »

I'm mostly liberal, but I do tend to want gov't out of business, i hate things like affirmative action and the sort, business owners should be able to hire/not hire anyone they please. 
Max

« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2006, 11:18:38 AM »

My conservative aspects:

- I'm STRONGLY pro-life, and I never understood why it should be a leftist position to support Nazi-like mass murder.

- I support free trade (with the "liberal" intention that it would help the poor countrys).

- I oppose affirmative action in most cases.

- I oppose gun control.

and:

- as a nonsmoker I strongly oppose smoking bans, though I'm not sure if this is a conservative or a liberal position...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2006, 12:17:34 PM »

Decriminalizing the use of marijuana.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2006, 01:41:19 PM »

I'm opposed to affirmative action due to my life experiences.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies