The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:35:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the federal government have an obligation to tell the American people that the church is lying to them?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism  (Read 2137 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 24, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »

I think that 'religion' is a very broad term when used here. Such a position is NOT the official view of the Roman Catholic Church for example, who has recently spoken out against those who support creationism and an earth thats only a few thousand years old. IIRC Catholicsm is the largest or one of the largest religious group in America, a fact that seems to be pretty much ignored. It is however the view of a small but incresingly significant number of evangelical Christian groups. The government has no obligation to say 'you are being lied to' but neither should local, state or national government promote pseudo-science either through funding or through the education system.

Those groups who do promote such clap-trap may label themselves 'Christian' but by no means do they represent mainstream Christianity.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »

I know you were not attacking the Catholic Church Smiley

All I was pointing out is that the vocal evangelical is now seen as the only 'Christian' to which politicians, theorists, the media etc give the time of day. They do not represent most Christians, they only represent themselves and we are allowing them, in my opinion, too much political air time.

EDIT- And being allowed to not believe in creationist clap-trap is one of the reasons thats sometimes im glad i'm Catholic!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies