The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:13:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the federal government have an obligation to tell the American people that the church is lying to them?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism  (Read 2132 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 24, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »

Were you here 12,000 years ago?  Do you know for sure that the universe is older than that?  Could it be remotely possible that God, through his almighty power, just might be able to create a universe which appears aged though it is still relatively young?  

Personally, I perscribe to the logic that "God time" is much different than "human time."  When the Bible talks about the world being created in 6 days, those aren't literal days (though it could very well be only 6 days for someone with unlimited power).  Two verses in the Bible give the hint that our perception of time is different than Gods.  Psalms 90:4 says "For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night."  2 Peter 3:8 says "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  This leads to confusions in some of the literary believers of the Bible (which are, in fact, a very tiny portion of the "Christian" religions).  

But again, no one can say for a fact that God did not create an aged universe, from distant galaxies to fossils in the ground to anchient texts burried in the sand.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:12:56 AM »

And to answer your poll, no, the government doesn't have an obligation to "correct" someone's Biblical teachings.  I can just imagine how you/your party would react if Bush did.  They'd be screaming "Separation of Church and State" from every rooftop.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »

There is a big difference between claiming to be Napoleon, and stating that the universe is only 12,000 years old.  People were alive when Napoleon was as well as when he died.  That history is recorded and can be backed up.  No one was here when the universe was created, and the oldest known written language only dates back 6000 years ago.  So no one knows if the universe was in existence before 12,000 years ago or not.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »

So, I guess you're saying Falwell, Robertson and Dobson don't have a right to free speech?

hehehe . . . are you asking Miss Catholic?  Smiley 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies