Census Population Estimates 2020-29 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:40:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census Population Estimates 2020-29 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census Population Estimates 2020-29  (Read 21068 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: May 05, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »

Why is East TN so different to the rest of Appalachia ?

Well, it's not different from WNC or NGA.  Coal mining really barely extended into TN.  Also I-81 is a major corridor.

Shenandoah Valley is similar as well--all of these areas are near to big metro areas so they're the logical place for summer houses and tourists, and they never were industrial.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 11:21:54 AM »

Idaho with three districts will work so much better anyway.

The Coeur D'Alene district will probably still have to take in a bit of the Boise area unfortunately, at least under a distribution like current numbers.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »

Idaho with three districts will work so much better anyway.

The Coeur D'Alene district will probably still have to take in a bit of the Boise area unfortunately, at least under a distribution like current numbers.

Keep in mind that Idaho has an independent commission in the state constitution.  If the natural population #'s favor an all-Boise district, we can expect to get one.

Yeah, but my point is that the remainder of the Boise area will have to go with the Panhandle:

That still sucks, since places like Caldwell or Mountain Home are pretty remote from the north.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 09:38:49 PM »

A more Democratic friendly commission could also draw a Pine Bluff-Little Rock district or combine both of those with the Delta.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 09:34:24 PM »

The Delta is also getting a lot whiter and redder very fast, so that seat might not even be sustainable anyways.

IMO there's kind of a oft-repeated idea that rural Black Belt areas are getting whiter--that may be true in some places, but the Arkansas Delta, at least as defined by wikipedia, got more Black and much less whiter between 2010 and 2020.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 12:19:07 PM »

https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2023/comm/percent-change-in-county-population.html

Some western states, the southern Atlantic coast area, and the Texas triangle are the three areas still having good growth,  everything else is either close to stagnant or declining.

Surprising to see all NH counties have grown in population last year.

What is going on in the Ozarks???

Are you looking at the two counties in NW AR? Benton is a business hub (Walmart HQ) that has consciously invested in recreational infrastructure like extensive mountain biking trails that run through some urban/semi-urban areas for easy access. Madison had ~16K in the 2020 census so that might be a statistical blip, but also its position situates it well for outdoors recreation like biking and access to the Buffalo National Waterway. Combine that with cheap COL + surge in remote work possibilities and my only surprise is that Washington County (Fayetteville + University of Arkansas) isn't dark green.

No I'm surprised there is such consistent positive growth across Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas given that most rural regions continue to see declines.

I assume it's not so different from the robust growth in Middle TN and Piedmont NC--i.e. rural areas getting some of the benefits of nearby, relatively fast growing cities. Plus the Ozarks and Ouachitas are attractive for tourism related reasons, and there is a surprisingly robust meatpacking sector in parts of SW MO and NW AR.

In any case, as Xahar said these estimates are likely bunkum, so not much use in overanalyzing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies