Favorite of the 7 largest US Mainline Protestant denominations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:40:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Favorite of the 7 largest US Mainline Protestant denominations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
American Baptist Churches

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

The Episcopal Church

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Presbyterian Church (USA)

United Church of Christ

United Methodist Church

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Favorite of the 7 largest US Mainline Protestant denominations  (Read 4670 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: May 04, 2023, 11:10:49 AM »

Whichever one has the most elaborate costumes, incense, a talented choir, etc., with very short homilies, preferably in a gothic cathedral. The show is the thing.  I guess that is high church Episcopal with a generous endowment.

I remember at one Episcopal event, all were invited to take communion, and I took up the offer. Why not?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 01:56:58 PM »

In the 20th century, the Congregational tradition in America fragmented into three different denominations. The largest of these is the United Church of Christ, which resulted from a 1957 merger with the Evangelical and Reformed Church. Congregationalists who chose not to join the United Church of Christ founded two alternative denominations: the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches and the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference.

Above is from wiki. I was wondering about that myself when I saw an old church (very fancy) that still called itself Congregational in Great Barrington.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »

Here is the church to which I refer. I suspect some of its Medicare type congregants patronize the dispensary a few blocks away that was built in the same gothic architecture to attract the first licensed gynecologist in the Berkshires for his housing. Nothing but the best for GB, then and now. At least my fellow patrons at the time seemed to fit the stereotype to a tee.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies