Should dry counties be illegal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:01:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should dry counties be illegal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should dry counties be illegal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Should dry counties be illegal?  (Read 16912 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 20, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »

Yes. Why should a bunch of rednecks be able to revoke one's ability to drink alcohol?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:56:08 AM »

Yes. Why should a bunch of rednecks be able to revoke one's ability to drink alcohol?
You can drink in these places, just no purchase.

We live in a free country and are allowed to move if we don't like the local laws.  I think dry counties are stupid as hell, but I don't have a problem with sh**t counties in BFE doing it.  Who'd want to live in a place that uptight anyway?

Meh. I've always wondered what was so great about moving to avoid one's rights being infringed as opposed to just stopping the rednecks from just infringing one's rights in the first place.

In one case, the government is acting to protect the interests of the citizenry and in the other, it is allowed to bar the citizenry from purchasing alcohol. It seems to me like it would be ideal to prevent oppressive activities from governments (even local ones).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:55:48 AM »

You can drink in these places, just no purchase.

We live in a free country and are allowed to move if we don't like the local laws.  I think dry counties are stupid as hell, but I don't have a problem with sh**t counties in BFE doing it.  Who'd want to live in a place that uptight anyway?

Meh. I've always wondered what was so great about moving to avoid one's rights being infringed as opposed to just stopping the rednecks from just infringing one's rights in the first place.

In one case, the government is acting to protect the interests of the citizenry and in the other, it is allowed to bar the citizenry from purchasing alcohol. It seems to me like it would be ideal to prevent oppressive activities from governments (even local ones).

What if you can't just up and move?  Employment isn't exactly easy to find these days, and if you have a family to feed.  You should be able to drink all you want.  As long as it doesn't cause you to beat your wife and kids, but that's a whole other issue.

"It doesn't work to leap a twenty-foot chasm in two ten-foot jumps."
No idea who said that, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If avoiding oppressive laws was always as simple as moving somewhere else, blacks in the South could have all just moved north after Reconstruction ended. Many did, but it certainly wasn't practical for everyone.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:49:33 AM »

Buying alcohol is not a right.

I was speaking more generally. I find an all too common tendency of my side is to argue that people can just move away to avoid oppression, which is not viable for everyone.

Map of Dry Counties
Dark Blue=Dry
Mid Dark Blue="moist"

Shocked at MA having dry counties.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »

MA is not typically the first state one thinks of when it comes to holding socially conservative positions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies