Who Would You Have Supported In the American Civil War (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:46:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who Would You Have Supported In the American Civil War (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Union

Rebel

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Who Would You Have Supported In the American Civil War  (Read 5763 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »

Hmm, a deeply flawed, but well-meaning pluralistic nation that realistically wouldn't have done much to end slavery if not for the war, or a paranoid, xenophobic empire of slaveholding elitists who freaked out when the United States elected a president who might not have looked the other way on slavery, and who (the slaveholders, that is) had previously invalidated their own "state's rights" argument with Dred Scott?

Yeah, I think I'll go with the Union. Union forever boys, hurrah!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »

It is well known that South Carolina, the first state to secede, was also the first among the British American colonies to elect a Jewish member to the colonial legislature.  In fact, outside Poland--another place which, like the American South, often finds itself the butt of politically incorrect jokes--it was the first place in the Western World to elect a Jew to public office.  Louisiana, another secession state, was the only region outside to welcome several thousand French-speaking refugees from the region of Acadia--now Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island--after having been expelled from their homelands by the British during the French and Indian War.  The Texas legislature welcomed Germans and Czechs in large numbers in the early days after their independence from Mexico.  We could go on and on along these lines, of course, and it's not that any of this history has any more relevance to the thread than your bizarre post, but it seems that you might benefit from just a little historical education.

Perhaps xenophobic was a strong word, but come on, you can't deny that the South was very wary of anything that didn't fit the perceived Southern "way of life"; they did not like the North's culture, at least. Yes, in those isolated instances, they did welcome refugees and have diverse elected officals, but keep in mind; Judah P Benjamin, one of the Jewish Senators you're talking about? A slaveholder.

And I'm sure many Texans would tell you that Texas is not entirely a part of the South, even though it went along with the Confederacy.

I probably should have used the word "expansionist"; I was trying to say that they despised those who weren't part of Southern culture, while at the same time they wanted to annex Cuba to expand slavery.

Also, I was referring to the elites, not the regular people.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »

Never mind, Tetro Kornbluth explained it far better than I did. Though he/she didn't mention the Southern planter aristocracy's ambitions to spread slavery throughout the Caribbean and parts of Central America. They seriously wanted to conquer Cuba for the interests of slavery. They weren't going to stay nice and quiet in their own little slaveholder's kingdom.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies