COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:23:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 295 296 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 538741 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7250 on: October 15, 2021, 02:25:09 AM »

Which vaccine is the best overall (of course there are different ways to judge it)? In New Zealand we could only get Pfizer, though I'd have been happy to get any.

Moderna seems to have the strongest immune response and general immunity lasts longer, with Pfizer droppingto 20% effectiveness after six months. Moderna and Pfizer seem roughly equal (Moderna slightly higher) in preventing hospitalization/death with little to no drop-off.

J+J doesn't seem to have a drop-off.  Or at least I haven't seen it reported.  That would suggest the much-maligned J+J (which I got) is the winner.

Keep in mind that different people have differing immune systems. 60-70% of people will not get sick from COVID-19 and develop their own anti-bodies of varying strength for varying times.

For example, a 5 y.o. could come into contact with Coronavirus, not get that sick and develop an immune response that last 45-50 years.

Another could develop a weaker response for 5 years, and another could develop a super strong response for life.

Some people simple don't get sick from this thing.

The main victims have been people with poor quality immune systems. Think of the immune system like a photocopier designed to keep a record of your incoming virus' for later action.

People with pre-exisitng medical complications, disabled and elderly people have old and less functional photocopiers.

Whereas young children have the latest model and their first 'photocopies' of new viruses appear to stay with them for life in terms of their immune response.

So when they get attacked 20 years later with a H2N2 virus, if their first exposure was a H2N2 virus, then they will have an excellent immune response.

That is what is going on here.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7251 on: October 15, 2021, 10:59:03 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2021, 12:19:08 PM by GP270watch »

I'm not getting any boosters. The governments of the world need to concentrate on getting shots to unvaccinated people, especially since unlike the United States people around the globe are desperate for these vaccines.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7252 on: October 15, 2021, 12:46:01 PM »

FDA advisers vote unanimously to recommend booster doses of Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine

Vaccine advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration voted unanimously Friday to recommend a booster dose of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine at least two months after people get the first dose.

The FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee voted 19-0 to recommend the extra dose for all recipients of the J&J Janssen vaccine, 18 and older. They asked to simplify the original question being posed by the FDA, which had asked the committee to say whether the data showed that waiting six months or longer after getting the first shot would provide an even stronger immune response.

The FDA will now consider the committee's advice. Then the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's vaccine advisers will be asked to consider it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/15/health/fda-jj-booster-committee-friday/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7253 on: October 15, 2021, 12:48:16 PM »

So to summarize the booster situation, as I understand it. For Pfizer and Moderna, boosters are approved 6 months after fully vaxxed, for everyone 65 & older and for everyone 18-64 who is at increased risk because of their health or their job. (Moderna booster is half dose.) J&J booster is approved for everyone 18 & older, 2 months after first dose.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7254 on: October 15, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »

I'm not getting any boosters. The governments of the world need to concentrate on getting shots to unvaccinated people, especially since unlike the United States people around the globe are desperate for these vaccines.

Neither am I, unless my Dr. says it's absolutely vital.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7255 on: October 15, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »

I've made this same point myself. People in Africa, Asia, and Latin America would crawl over broken glass to obtain the vaccine. We are so privileged, and it's a disgrace that so many people in this country don't want to get vaccinated.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #7256 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:35 PM »

UPDATE! SEPTEMBER 30 WITH 2020 CENSUS DATA!

1. (+13) 324 - Mississippi
2. (+11) 298 - Louisiana
3. (+3) 295 - New Jersey
4. (+25) 285 - Alabama
5. (+8) 279 - Arizona
6. (+2) 273 - New York state
7. (+3) 265 - Massachusetts
8. (+2) 258 - Rhode Island
9. (+19) 255 - Florida
9. (+9) 255 - Arkansas

11. 244 - South Carolina
12. 242 - Georgia
12. 241 - South Dakota
14. 239 - Connecticut
15. 230 - Indiana
16. 229 - Nevada
17. 227 - Oklahoma
18. 226 - New Mexico
18. 226 - Pennsylvania
20. 222 - Michigan

21. 218 - Tennessee
21. 218 - Texas
23. 216 - Illinois
24. 207 - North Dakota
25. 206 - Kansas
25. 206 - Iowa
27. 203 - West Virginia
28. 197 - Delaware
29. 193 - Kentucky
30. 187 - Missouri

UPDATE! OCTOBER 15!

1. (+11) 335 - Mississippi
2. (+9) 307 - Louisiana
3. (+16) 301 - Alabama
4. (+3) 298 - New Jersey
5. (+7) 286 - Arizona
6. (+3) 276 - New York
7. (+16) 271 - Arkansas
8. (+13) 268 - Florida
9. (+2) 267 - Massachusetts
10. (+3) 261 - Rhode Island

11. (+15) 257 - Georgia
11. (+13) 257 - South Carolina
13. (+5) 246- South Dakota
14. (+2) 241 - Connecticut
15. (+9) 239 - Indiana
15. (+10) 239 - Nevada
15. (+12) 239 - Oklahoma
18. (+6) 233 - Pennsylvania
19. (+5) 232 - New Mexico
20. (+13) 231 - Texas

21. (+10) 228 - Tennessee
22. (+5) 227 - Michigan
23. (+23) 226 - West Virginia
24. (+4) 220 - Illinois
25. (+7) 214 - North Dakota
26. (+6) 212 - Iowa
27. (+3) 209 - Kansas
28. (+13) 206 - Kentucky
29. (+6) 203 - Delaware
30. (+?) 196 - Montana
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7257 on: October 15, 2021, 10:55:10 PM »

Neither am I, unless my Dr. says it's absolutely vital.

I plan to at the six month mark, as my mother is almost 70 and has asthma. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7258 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:42 PM »

Y’all do know that not getting a booster as an individual won’t help the situation in developing countries regarding a vaccine at all, right? Like do want you want with boosters, but you choosing to not get a booster as one person does nothing to change the situation.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7259 on: October 16, 2021, 03:52:43 AM »

I'm not getting a booster either for a long while so I'm going to be bloody furious if you people hoarding boosters means we get a variant even worse than Delta.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7260 on: October 16, 2021, 09:17:33 AM »

Y’all do know that not getting a booster as an individual won’t help the situation in developing countries regarding a vaccine at all, right? Like do want you want with boosters, but you choosing to not get a booster as one person does nothing to change the situation.

Yes, whatever led to this situation, there's simply no viable way to get all the expiring excess doses here into remote parts of the world in time.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7261 on: October 16, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7262 on: October 16, 2021, 12:34:12 PM »

I don't know what that means.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7263 on: October 16, 2021, 01:38:04 PM »

I assume that's a rough estimate of how long you'd need exposed to the virus under those different sets of circumstances.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7264 on: October 16, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »

I am surprised the table is symmetric given that I have always been told that regular cloth/surgical masks do not protect the wearer, they only stop the wearer from infecting others. (That's why they stop/slow down transmission, but wearing a mask won't mean you don't get infected)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7265 on: October 16, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »

I am surprised the table is symmetric given that I have always been told that regular cloth/surgical masks do not protect the wearer, they only stop the wearer from infecting others. (That's why they stop/slow down transmission, but wearing a mask won't mean you don't get infected)

This is likely a rough estimate rather than a hard absolute, given everything save for cloth mask is rounded to 10%. Also likely errs on the side of 'worst case' so to speak.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7266 on: October 16, 2021, 04:30:33 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7267 on: October 17, 2021, 03:55:48 AM »

Kind of interesting to compare that to January, and you can see the change in distribution from before there were vaccines to now, highlighting the people would rather bury their head in the sand and pretend covid doesn't exist than get vaccinated.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #7268 on: October 18, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »

This. Like it or not, the doses are already here. I think we should have sent them abroad, but it's too late, so you might as well get the booster since it's here. I'm eligible for mine at the end of the month and plan on getting it as soon as I can.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7269 on: October 18, 2021, 08:32:24 PM »

A COVID-19 story from the sports world: the Washington State University football coach and several assistant coaches have been fired for not complying with the vaccine mandate for state employees.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32426315/nick-rolovich-washington-state-football-coach-refusing-state-mandated-covid-19-vaccine-source-says
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7270 on: October 19, 2021, 09:39:19 PM »

A COVID-19 story from the sports world: the Washington State University football coach and several assistant coaches have been fired for not complying with the vaccine mandate for state employees.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32426315/nick-rolovich-washington-state-football-coach-refusing-state-mandated-covid-19-vaccine-source-says

An employer's right.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7271 on: October 19, 2021, 09:42:57 PM »

An employer's right.

And a mandate from the State. We have exactly the same situation coming with men's football in 2022.

Once it is a State mandate, then the decision is much easier for the NFL. It becomes clearly manageable for employers.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7272 on: October 19, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »

The table is symmetric because it's only an arithmetic transformation of the CDC's 15-minute "time to infectious dose" threshold for contact tracing (an assumption that has no scientific basis, btw) calculated from estimates of leakage obtained from a study where different types of mask material were fitted to mannequins in a lab, lol.  If you actually read the CIDRAP post imbedded in the tweet it's quite plain in stating that public masking offers no measurable benefit in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and should be considered, at best, a tertiary method of controlling the pandemic.

The whole write-up by CIDRAP is a good read if you actually want to understand the science/politics of masking policies (i.e., not any red avatars in this thread lol) 
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7273 on: October 19, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »

The table is symmetric because it's only an arithmetic transformation of the CDC's 15-minute "time to infectious dose" threshold for contact tracing (an assumption that has no scientific basis, btw) calculated from estimates of leakage obtained from a study where different types of mask material were fitted to mannequins in a lab, lol.  If you actually read the CIDRAP post imbedded in the tweet it's quite plain in stating that public masking offers no measurable benefit in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and should be considered, at best, a tertiary method of controlling the pandemic.

The whole write-up by CIDRAP is a good read if you actually want to understand the science/politics of masking policies (i.e., not any red avatars in this thread lol) 

I can believe the table involves a lot of hand waving, but that post seems to just be anti-mask.

The slo-mo videos that show how much that droplets are hindered by masks was enough to convince me they're worth it.

Re-running the pandemic with all the same restrictions except no masks is the kind of evidence you would need to conclude masks did not make significance difference. Obviously, we can't do that, so we'll never know.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7274 on: October 19, 2021, 11:20:42 PM »

I can believe the table involves a lot of hand waving, but that post seems to just be anti-mask.

The slo-mo videos that show how much that droplets are hindered by masks was enough to convince me they're worth it.

Re-running the pandemic with all the same restrictions except no masks is the kind of evidence you would need to conclude masks did not make significance difference. Obviously, we can't do that, so we'll never know.

This is somewhat of a tangent, but I've noticed at my job that the number of masked customers seems to have established itself at ~40-45%. More people have resumed with mask-wearing over the past few months. And that figure closely correlates with the percentage Biden received in El Paso County last year. This relates to my point that mask-wearing seems strongly correlated with partisanship at this point.

Moreover, Larimer County, Colorado reinstated its mask mandate, using ICU capacity as their justification. Some jurisdictions certainly do seem to be doubling down on masks. The CDC itself recently reiterated the importance of mask-wearing in public, so it's clear that we won't see another change to the recommendations this year.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 295 296 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies