DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:05:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272576 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: January 06, 2021, 04:24:41 PM »

No compromise, no surrender, no forgiveness, and no trials. These fascist traitors have enunciated that they want no part of the United States. It is only right and just that true Americans stand up for the law and the Constitution.

You had me until the last part. The whole point is to fight for the Constitution which means--you know--actually following it.
“American” and “fascist” are antonyms. You can be either one or the other. They threw away their rights and their citizenship when they try this sh**t.

That isn't how laws work.

It absolutely is for enemy soldiers and members of terrorist organizations, even those possessing American citizenship. In some situations, people aren't entitled to a trial. Arguably, this is starting to approach one of those situations.  
R.P. McM

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:00 PM »

Biden's response was exactly what we needed. Calm.

Inciting more violence is not a good idea.

It's not enough.  Let me sum up the last 4 years for you:

Trump cultists act outrageous, violent, break rules, norms, laws.  

Democrats respond: "we need calm, we need to come together as a country."  

Trump cult: continues to break rules, laws, norms, be violent.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  Arrest every single person that trespassed.  Lock them up for the maximum time allowed by law.  Put them on terrorist watch lists.  Expel congressmen.  Impeach and remove Trump from office.  Pack the Courts.  Make DC and PR states.  Enact stringent gun control laws.

Agreed. These invertebrates deserve absolutely ZERO mercy.
R.P. McM

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 08:25:31 PM by R.P. McM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott🧨 link=topic=422360.msg7874637#msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The system is not broken. It's called democracy. You get to decide who gets in via the power of your vote. If people decide to elect bad people, that is their right to do so.

Just because your emotions are stronger than mine does not make them important. One person, one vote. We do not reward people who yell and scream and flail and shoot people up.

If it were actual democracy, Trump would not be president. But I agree — we need to impose democracy, no matter how much rural whites and the residents of former traitor states oppose it.  
R.P. McM

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott🧨 link=topic=422360.msg7874637#msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The system is not broken. It's called democracy. You get to decide who gets in via the power of your vote. If people decide to elect bad people, that is their right to do so.

Just because your emotions are stronger than mine does not make them important. One person, one vote. We do not reward people who yell and scream and flail and shoot people up.

If it were actually democracy, Trump would not be president. But I agree — we need to impose democracy, no matter how much rural whites and the residents of former traitor states oppose it.  

Trump was elected fair and square. And now Biden has been elected.

Yes, according to the current system. Which is NOT democratic, and not something I consent to any longer.
R.P. McM

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:36:37 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

Hey stop it. One friend of mine who voted for Trump just called me crying and saying he regrets it

Your friend knowingly supported a racist sexual predator who encouraged political violence. At least in the political realm, your friend is not a decent person worthy of respect.
R.P. McM

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:52 PM »

I’m so relieved that I didn’t give in to the temptations I had multiple times during the last year to vote for Trump .

He’s such a terrible human being , and I would have felt guilty  it for a long long time if I had done so , so I’m so relieved that I refused to vote for the guy

Wow, you’re so brave. You heard the President talk and act like a fascist for four years and you courageously decided at the last second not to vote for him. I hope you get a medal of freedom.

You have been here for long enough to know that I never became a Trump supporter   at any time during his presidency.

I just said I was tempted to at many times , but am relieved that I didn’t

You were tempted by a racist, authoritarian sexual predator who routinely encouraged mob violence. That demands a serious amount of introspection.
R.P. McM

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »

Keep the anti Christian rhetoric out of it.

Amen.  The incoming President who represents an alternative to President Trump is a Christian, as is one of the newly elected Democratic Senator who helped flip the Senate.

Not to mention, TENS of MILLIONS of law-abiding Americans who are sitting at home horrified by this, among them tens of millions of Democrats, liberals and Joe Biden voters.  Classless to take it there.

If the so-called "Christians" who stormed the Capitol today had actually read their Bibles, they might recall Jesus refusing to lead an armed uprising against the governing authorities even when his own disciples begged him to fight. Blasphemers and heretics, all of them.

Careful — we're evidently not allowed to criticize white evangelical Christians, the single largest bloc of Trump supporters.
R.P. McM

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 06:22:25 PM »

Keep the anti Christian rhetoric out of it.

Amen.  The incoming President who represents an alternative to President Trump is a Christian, as is one of the newly elected Democratic Senator who helped flip the Senate.

Not to mention, TENS of MILLIONS of law-abiding Americans who are sitting at home horrified by this, among them tens of millions of Democrats, liberals and Joe Biden voters.  Classless to take it there.

If the so-called "Christians" who stormed the Capitol today had actually read their Bibles, they might recall Jesus refusing to lead an armed uprising against the governing authorities even when his own disciples begged him to fight. Blasphemers and heretics, all of them.

Careful — we're evidently not allowed to criticize white evangelical Christians, the single largest bloc of Trump supporters.

As you yourself said, ~20% of White Evangelicals bear absolutely zero responsibility for this whatsoever.  So, it should be pretty easy to keep condemning selective to Trump supporters and enablers, if not solely to the criminals currently causing unrest themselves.

When culpability reaches the threshold of ~80-90%, it's not the duty of the critics to make distinctions. It's the duty of the dissenting members of the group to either reform the group, or leave.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies