Mideast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:07:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 255950 times)
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« on: March 30, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »

I don't want to overstep but can citzens of the Mideast have input on bills? If not who is allowed to post/have input?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »

I don't want to overstep but can citzens of the Mideast have input on bills? If not who is allowed to post/have input?

Everyone can post their ideas.

The voting members are elected every 2 months. Currently, they are: Purple State, Afleitch and Peter.

Ok, thank you Senator.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »

Updated bill:

The Mideast Education Funds Allotment Act

Whereas the Mideast region has received funding by the federal government through The Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009; and,

Whereas that funding is to be used for the subsidization of higher education tuition to provide equal chances to all Atlasian citizens; the Mideast Assembly determines the following parameters for funding:

1. Mideast public schools shall administer a number of standardized tests, in a range of subjects including math, English, science and history.

2. Students in each public school shall, for apportionment of funds, be classified by income brackets, with ranges of: $0 - $30,000; $30,001 - $75,000; $75,001 - $125,000; $125,001 - $250,000; $250,001 - $500,000; $500,001 and over.
a) No student from an income bracket of $500,001 and over shall receive any funding from this Act.

3. Each public school shall administer its funding as follows:
a) Full college tuition for the highest scoring student from each income bracket on each of the four standardized tests.
b) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on the two combined topics of math and science, English and history.
c) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on all four tests combined.
d) Full college tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more tests.
d) Half-tuition to all students scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more of the tests.
e) Half tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 75th percentile on two or more tests.

4. No student shall receive more than the cost of tuition in funds. Extra funding shall be dispensed as region-provided scholarships to students who volunteer to teach in an underprivileged school, to be determined by need and the local teacher's union, for two years after college.

5. In the event that federal funding falls short of what is necessary, the Mideast shall levy a $0.25 cigarette tax to provide additional funding.

I have a few questions, the bill doesn't make it clear or not if the tuition money can be used for any College/University, public or private.

Also I think it would be wise if you added another standardized test for Computer based knowledge. Testing students on Computer skills like Power point, Excel, how to build websites, basic computer skills etc. I believe that knowing how to use these skills will help every student in College/University and in the business world.

Also wouldn't it be wiser to add the tax on alcohol, something many more people use?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2009, 03:27:31 PM by Devilman88 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ok, some government funded program sometimes have limits on what type of school you can use it for. But I agree that it should be used for both.

Not really, if every school in the Mideast has the programs then all student can use the programs. Also, this would call for schools to add computer skill classes for the students. It just an idea I had that would be helpful to the students in their up coming years in college and the "real" world.

Your right you don't want to anger larger constituency, but I was looking at it we would get more money from adding a tax on alcohol then cigarette. Another possibility would be raising tax on all tobacco products by $0.25

Again just ideas I had, just trying to get involved.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »

Taxes on these products are levied federally through the National Sin Tax Act...however the Act also allows for regions to tax these products too. So we could certainly raise money that way.

Oh ok, like I said just trying to get involved. If you guys need anything just ask me and I will try to do my best at it.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »

Oh ok, like I said just trying to get involved. If you guys need anything just ask me and I will try to do my best at it.

Oh please get involved Smiley I was just saying that your idea to raise revenue through tobaccos taxation could be done using exisiting legislation - which makes it quite a tempting one.

Well, I'm glad I can help. I want to get involved in the Mideast, but I really don't know how to, besides this thread.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »

I have a proposal for a basic idea for an act the we might want to enact. I believe that we are overextending ourselves to criminals and not providing enough help for the victims of a crime. In the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is littered with protection for the accused. We must extend the same courtesy to those who are victimized. Normally, people do not receive government support when they are robbed and/or physically assaulted, even after the attacker is put in jail. We should extend a plan to help the victimized.
Normally, I do not encourage the enlargement of the government, but in this case, I feel for the people who have been victimized, and I want to put into effect a bill that provides states support for those families who have been victimized within the state's jurisdiction.

What type of help are you talking about?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »

I will bring the bill proposed by Persepolis to the floor for debate.

Is Section 3 saying that the judiciary should pay for the reimbursements? We can just put it on the regional tab. We should also find some way to pay for it. Citizens should all contribute to the safety and protection of the entire region. Perhaps an increase of the sales tax (what is the current sales tax? I can't seem to find it) on guns from its current level to 15%.

You could increase the sales tax on guns by 10% and cut the money we give to prison by half.

Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »

In Section 2, it says " . Loss of material possessions. Value of said possessions will be evaluated by either the victim's insurance provider, or, if inapplicable, an independent insurance company employed by the region."

Doesn't most homeowners insurance already cover that?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »

In Section 2, it says " . Loss of material possessions. Value of said possessions will be evaluated by either the victim's insurance provider, or, if inapplicable, an independent insurance company employed by the region."

Doesn't most homeowners insurance already cover that?

It can vary. I do think we should add something to ensure that we aren't double-paying people. Perhaps this:

3. Loss of material possessions. Value of said possessions will be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.

That sounds much better. We don't want to double-pay people.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »

Also in Section 2, I believe that number 2 should read: " Medical treatment/rehabilitation up to but not exceeding two years from when the said person was found guilty'

I believe I did the wording right.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »

That sounds great!
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 08:59:17 PM »

Updated version:

The Mideast Victim Compensation Act

1. Any person victim of a crime committed in the Mideast shall be compensated by the regional Government under the conditions set forth by this Act.
2. Victims will be compensated for:
     a. Loss of life of a member of the immediate family.
     b. Approved medical treatment/rehabilitation for a period not exceeding two years from the beginning of treatment.
     c. Loss of material possessions, the value of which shall be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
3. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.
4. Compensation shall be determined by an independent council of three justices, who shall judge the nature of the crime, whether all other plausible alternatives have been attempted and what amount shall be paid to the victim. This amount shall be calculated as the amount determined less amounts already received through alternative means.

That's good. We probably need to agree on our economic plan to make it legitimate. I say, as I have said before, no new taxes. We cut prison spending to meet the shortfall. In fact, we should cut the prison spending of the criminal who caused this monetary damage in th first place.

The problem is prison spending isn't laid out per prisoner. It goes to the prison to function. Cutting prison funding really hurts the prison more, decreasing guards or guard pay, which increases the likelihood of escape.

Decrease prisoner services, not guard pay. Lower library visits. Some correctional facilities have a bookmobile come weekly. It will save the city money and the prison money to discontinue this service. Obviously, I don't know all the services prisoners get, but we should cut it to the bare minimum.

I believe it would have to be both decrease in prison spending and raise taxes on gun sales. Prison do need money to keep everything running right and I am don't want any law suit against the government over how well the prison are ran.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »

Updated version:

1. Any person victim of a crime committed in the Mideast shall be compensated by the regional Government under the conditions set forth by this Act.
     b. Approved medical treatment/rehabilitation for a period not exceeding two years from the beginning of treatment.
     c. Loss of material possessions, the value of which shall be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
3. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.
4. Compensation shall be determined by an independent council of three justices, who shall judge the nature of the crime, whether all other plausible alternatives have been attempted and what amount shall be paid to the victim. This amount shall be calculated as the amount determined less amounts already received through alternative means.

That's good. We probably need to agree on our economic plan to make it legitimate. I say, as I have said before, no new taxes. We cut prison spending to meet the shortfall. In fact, we should cut the prison spending of the criminal who caused this monetary damage in th first place.

The problem is prison spending isn't laid out per prisoner. It goes to the prison to function. Cutting prison funding really hurts the prison more, decreasing guards or guard pay, which increases the likelihood of escape.

Decrease prisoner services, not guard pay. Lower library visits. Some correctional facilities have a bookmobile come weekly. It will save the city money and the prison money to discontinue this service. Obviously, I don't know all the services prisoners get, but we should cut it to the bare minimum.

I believe it would have to be both decrease in prison spending and raise taxes on gun sales. Prison do need money to keep everything running right and I am don't want any law suit against the government over how well the prison are ran.

A lawsuit from who? A felon? I want more rights after I killed that lady!

A civil lawsuit against the government, if we don't keep the prison up to par. Also just because they are a felon doesn't mean they don't have rights.  I don't think prison should be like a Holiday Inn, but it shouldn't be like Gitmo. We have to put a good amount of money into them to keep them to par.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »

Updated version:

A lawsuit from who? A felon? I want more rights after I killed that lady!

A civil lawsuit against the government, if we don't keep the prison up to par. Also just because they are a felon doesn't mean they don't have rights.  I don't think prison should be like a Holiday Inn, but it shouldn't be like Gitmo. We have to put a good amount of money into them to keep them to par.

Of course. However, we are still overpending on prisons. As I said, I am not an expert on prison, but I know that there are some extraneous programs that need to be cut out.

Of course, I agree with you, but we need to be careful of what we cut. Anyways, it isn't up to you or I it is in the hands of the Assembly.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

Looks good.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »

Okay, let's finish this.

5. Compensation shall be paid for by a 1% sales tax increase on gun purchases.

Tax increase? Especially on guns? That basically violates the right to bear arms.

A tax increase on food does not violate the right to eat.

I agree with afleitch, this bill looks good to me.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »

I know it doesn't violate the right to bear arms. I said it basically does. But that doesn't matter. The point I was trying to make is that guns are a basic tool of protection for civilians. Taxing that is immoral.

Not really, but this isn't the place to debate that, right now anyways.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »

I know it doesn't violate the right to bear arms. I said it basically does. But that doesn't matter. The point I was trying to make is that guns are a basic tool of protection for civilians. Taxing that is immoral.

I mean, no reason not to have the debate...

I say we find another way to get sufficient funds for this project then. Taxes are not the way to go.

We surely cannot cut prison funding. The point of prisons is two-fold: to house violent criminals and to ready criminals for their re-entrance into society. I actually plan on introducing a comprehensive prison bill after this.

Taxing guns will, hopefully, reduce the instances of gun-related mishaps. I don't want the state paying because some kid accidentally shot his friend with his father's gun.

I believe cutting some funding toward prisons are ok, if needed. Like the funding for buying Computers/T.V.s etc. Things that they really don't need. But you are right prison is a dual system.

As far as taxes on guns, I didn't want the taxes on guns because I don't like raising taxes at all. But that said I don't think raising taxes on guns will not keep people from buying them at all. If I am ever part of the Assembly I would try to pass a bill making it very hard for the normal person to buy a gun.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »

I believe Peter has already voted aye for this bill.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »

Something like this?

Gun Control Act of 2009

1. All automatic firearms shall be banned.
2. Any citizen falling under the list below shall not buy, sale or own a firearm:
     a. Any person who has been incarcerated for any reason
     b. Any person who has an assault on their record going by 8 years
     c. Any person who has is mentally unstable.
3. Any person wanting to buy, sale or own a gun must apply for a gun permit.
    a. The cost for a gun permit shall be $250.
    b. Any person applying for a gun permit must have a background check and undergo psychological testing to see if they are mentally stable to own, buy or sale a gun.
    c.  Any person under the age of 21 shall not own, buy or sale a gun.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »

How does this look? Any thoughts?

The Mideast Gun Safety Act

1. All automatic firearms, rocket projectiles, and grenades shall be banned from sale or use in the Mideast.
2. The following restrictions shall be implemented for all firearms sold in the Mideast upon purchase:
   a. The firearm must be registered to a residency occupied by the owner
   b. The owner must be fingerprinted
   c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License
   d. The owner must supply a confirmed Social Security Number
   e. The owner mus submit to a government-run physical and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   f. Any change of ownership through private or public sale must be reported
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 21 shall have access to the firearm
3. Failure to comply with any of the above restrictions shall result in imprisonment for no more than one year per infraction.
4. This law shall not apply to any on-duty military or police personnel, or in the event that a citizen has received a written waiver approved by the Assembly and signed by the Governor.

Sounds much better then my bill.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »

Well I certainly feel your bill is an horrible infringment on rights, I have to ask what form of ID you will ask for if one does not have a driver's license.  I know in New Jersey they usually use the wording "driver's license or other government issued ID".  I see no reason why a passport or similar item would not suffice

How is it an infringement on rights? Some people shouldn't have guns. Guns aren't toys and shouldn't be treated like toys.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »

1. All automatic firearms, rocket projectiles, and grenades shall be banned from sale or use in the Mideast.
1. The following restrictions shall be implemented for all firearms sold in the Mideast upon purchase:
   c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License or government issued identification
   e. The owner must submit to a government-run physicalfirearm course and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 2118 shall have access to the firearm
3. Failure to comply with any of the above restrictions shall result in imprisonment for no more than one year per infraction.
4. This law shall not apply to any on-duty military or police personnel, or in the event that a citizen has received a written waiver approved by the Assembly and signed by the Governor.

What about if we make it like this?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »

2. The following restrictions shall be implemented for all firearms sold in the Mideast upon purchase:
   c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License or government issued identification
   e. The owner must submit to a government-run physicalfirearm course and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 2118 shall have access to the firearm

I think if we want this to pass we are going to have to give up on the banning of automatic firearms. Something you have to give a little to get a little.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies