Norwegian General Election 13 September 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:53:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Norwegian General Election 13 September 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Norwegian General Election 13 September 2021  (Read 10630 times)
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« on: September 15, 2021, 03:03:56 AM »

There has always been a special place in my heart for Nynorsk, the form of written Norwegian that looks distinctively Norwegian and not like any other language. It seems like Nynorsk should be the left-wing variety of Norwegian, but in practice it does not appear that municipalities that officially use Nynorsk show any particular tendency to vote for the left.

In any case, it strikes me as a mild injustice that abroad we have Bokmål names of political parties presented to us as though they are the definitive Norwegian names. I decided to look at the name in each register of each party in the Storting. Parties with differing names are bolded.

PartyBokmålNynorsk
ApArbeiderpartietArbeidarpartiet
HHøyreHøgre
SpSenterpartietSenterpartiet
FrPFremksrittspartietFramstegspartiet
SVSosialistisk VenstrepartiSosialistisk Venstreparti
RRødtRaudt
VVenstreVenstre
MDGMiljøpartiet De GrønneMiljøpartiet Dei Grøne
KrFKristelig FolkepartiKristeleg Folkeparti

Something striking is that on the Nynorsk Wikipedia page for Framstegspartiet, the logo in the infobox nonetheless reads Fremksrittspartiet. The implication, I guess, is that no FrP voters use Nynorsk anyway, which seems like it might be accurate. Either way it's amusing.

It always makes me chuckle when I remember that there’s a dispute over how to write Norwegian. I think I like the look of Bokmål more; looks more Scandinavian than German.

Technically it is  opposite. Bokmål is full of Germanisms whereas Nynorks is purified Scandinavian language.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 01:33:30 AM »

Traditionally it was synonyme for Venstre support.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies