Is Catholicism Christianity? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:01:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Catholicism Christianity? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
Yes (Catholic)

Yes (Non-Catholic Christian)

Yes (Non-Christian)

No, but some individual Catholics are Christians in spite of the Catholic Church

No, and no individual Catholics are Christians/are saved

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Is Catholicism Christianity?  (Read 3482 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 05, 2021, 02:20:21 PM »

If Catholicism isn't Christianity then the word has no meaning, unless you believe in the completely ahistorical and evidence-free Trail of Blood theory. In other words, nobody whose understanding of history wasn't completely off the sh**ts on self-serving revisionism could possibly believe that the medieval Church wasn't Christian, unless they were willing to bite the bullet and say that Christianity was founded by Luther.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:01:22 PM »

The sola scriptura thing is one of the weaker anti-Catholic arguments but for some reason Evangelicals always act like it's a slam dunk. The early Church manifestly did not have a codified New Testament yet--any reading of the Ante-Nicene Fathers will show you that almost immediately--so clearly there's some source of authority in the Church that precedes (as in literally precedes, chronologically) the canon of scripture that we have today. Considering that the canon was hashed out in a series of councils and synods in which mostly bishops participated, anybody interested in upholding the authority of the Bible would need additionally to uphold the authority of at least the first few centuries of the episcopate...but most to all of those early bishops also believed in a high Christology and a high Mariology, veneration of martyrs, real presence, and a whole host of other Catholic doctrines that most Protestants reject.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:03:40 PM »

I'm not entirely sure how and why this thread turned into yet another space for Dule to air his grievances about the religiouses, but considering how laughably absurd the thread's premise was to begin with, I'm inclined to grant him a mulligan.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:05:05 AM »

To be honest I sort of wonder exactly how pervasive is Christian influence and what not on the US. Like watching form a distance it seems to me it is "a lot bigger than Europe but still livable"

The hard edge of American political Christianity is always a lot more emboldened during Republican administrations. There's a reason why Dule-style antireligious/antichristian sentiment among socially liberal Americans hit the mainstream under Dubya, mostly receded under Obama, then came roaring back under Trump. I'd like to believe things will get a little calmer again under Biden, but I think some of the enormities that Evangelical (and some Catholic, Mormon, and even Orthodox Jewish) leaders pulled under Trump won't be forgiven or forgotten so easily.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »

Yeah. You can do better than this, BRTD.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:37:07 PM »

That's not the airtight defense you might hope it is.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »

I am tempted to make a "yaas" feminist meme on defence of Roman Catholics after seeing that tbh Tongue

Pseudowoke defenses of Roman Catholicism are some of my favorite defenses of Roman Catholicism. "Anglos who attack the Church's stance on such-and-such a moral issue are really attacking Latin cultures" is another "good" one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies