Kerry: credible primary challenger/win the primary/win the general (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:39:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kerry: credible primary challenger/win the primary/win the general (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Kerry: credible primary challenger/win the primary/win the general
yes/yes/yes

no/yes/yes

yes/no/no

no/yes/no

yes/yes/no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Kerry: credible primary challenger/win the primary/win the general  (Read 1187 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 26, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »

What I actually wanted to post that didn't fit was:

Will Kerry have a credible primary challenger/will he win the primary/will he win the general?

I've only included options that make sense (obviously he can't win the general if he loses the primary or lose the primary without a credible challenger).

I vote no/yes/yes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »

The things people forget is:

1-Incumbent senators hardly ever lose
2-When they do lose, it's because there's a massive movement against them, either from the party establishment (Bob Smith) or grassroots (Lieberman). I don't see any such movement against Kerry.
3-The MA Reps probably realize this and none are going to throw away their safe seats as a result. Of course one might be as dumb as Ed Case, but I doubt it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 07:36:44 PM »

Why would anyone actually credible in the Democratic Party challenge John Kerry in a primary?

Because he is weakened.  Massachusetts disapproves of him 40%-53% according to the latest Survey USA poll.  Also because there are a lot of ambitious Democratics statewide and in the Congressional delagation; they are partly angry with him for losing in 2004 because they all wanted to run for his seat.  The last open seat election was in 1984; hence there are a lot of Democrats in Massachusetts who want to run for the Senate and have not had the chance.  It would be hard to unseat him but surely someone will consider it. 

Except his approval among Democrats is still 66%. That's more than enough to win any primary, especially when you consider he would destroy any opponent in fundraising.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »

no/yes/yes.  All the other options are, quite frankly, rather silly.

That's what I'm thinking.

No one who believes Kerry will lose the primary has explained how his opponent would get grassroots support ala Lamont.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies