January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:35:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 150
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 139909 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: February 23, 2023, 02:03:25 PM »

She wanted to be foreperson and no one else wanted to be, so it was her.

She stayed within Georgia's legal lines. The part about being at some party with prosecutors does seem problematic. But it's not going to get Trump off. This is not even the GJ that indicts.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2126 on: February 23, 2023, 02:09:55 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

What was this woman thinking? She's the best the Grand Jury could come up with to make forewoman? And shame on the media for pressing her to go further and further.

Kohrs has singlehandedly complicated the case, and her actions call into question the integrity of the entire process. Totally unprofessional, and she seems like a bimbo gushing about how she would've liked to subpoena Trump simply so she could swear him in and get her 60 seconds with him.

All of this might be just enough to allow Trump to escape any kind of justice yet again.

In my experience on juries, most jurors are more than happy to have someone else be the foreperson (I've done it once).

Yes, she should have kept her mouth shut until after any indictments have been handed down, at the very least.  The consensus from legal Twitter I've seen is that her remarks were ill-advised, and Trump and other defendants will try to make hay from them, but they don't really jeopardize the case.  An AJC article this morning about the special grand jury includes some comments from Judge McBurney, who oversaw the grand jury, indicating that Kohrs did not overstep the boundaries of what the grand jurors were allowed to discuss publicly; see the section with the heading "McBurney weighs in".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2127 on: February 23, 2023, 02:24:22 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2023, 02:32:04 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

We all know the dozen or so person's connected with fake Electors are gonna be prosecuted but prosecuted doesn't mean convicted Trump has 2 more pending indictments anyways

He is the weakest nominee anyways he would LOSE YET AGAIN

Even if Trump is indicted any witnesses called he would talk executive privilege, he can still run for Prez as long as he isn't convicted

People need to learn the legal definition of indictment means like impeachment if Biden gets impeached for Docugate it's not removed from office or jail time

That's why Biden is still running with Docugate because Prez can't he indicted and RS only have a 5 seat majority in H and  no 67 S to remove him from office

Kean, Fitzpatrick and Lawler and other mods aren't likely to impeach Biden
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2128 on: February 23, 2023, 02:31:40 PM »

I have come to the firm opinion that grand juries, and special grand juries in particular (who wants an advisory opinion from a bunch of people off the street? really!), are a waste of time, and a flawed process to boot. Like so much else when it comes to the law, the Brits in their wisdom got rid of them, along with juries except in capital crimes, and long before that voir dire, and in this instance, its colonies too, except for the US and Liberia of all places. The more dysfunctional a legal process, the more the US embraces it. So sad.

I served on a grand jury myself 5 years ago, and the DA there was the guy I just interned for to get my pro bono hours to become an NYS lawyer. That sealed the deal. And in this case, the defendant actually showed up, to defend himself, who happened to be a neighbor of mine right across the ally. Small towns are just so much fun.

In more civilized places like CA, they do not exist. The idea is to have an adversary preliminary hearing before a judge, as to whether a case gets to a jury or not. While it was not the case for the grand jury that I was on, where I insisted on asking questions, the rap on grand juries is that they would indict a ham sandwich to boot.

But yeah, the idiot foreperson should have kept her mouth shut, rather than just embarrass herself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_juries_in_the_United_States
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2129 on: February 23, 2023, 05:22:01 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

What was this woman thinking? She's the best the Grand Jury could come up with to make forewoman? And shame on the media for pressing her to go further and further.

Kohrs has singlehandedly complicated the case, and her actions call into question the integrity of the entire process. Totally unprofessional, and she seems like a bimbo gushing about how she would've liked to subpoena Trump simply so she could swear him in and get her 60 seconds with him.

All of this might be just enough to allow Trump to escape any kind of justice yet again.

Can you explain how this helps Trump in a court of law?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2130 on: February 23, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

The theory is that the publicity will prejudice the members of a real grand jury with a real power to indict, because they all read the newspapers and/or Atlas. It is not going anywhere. This foreplay is not going to let Trump skate if he committed a crime on this matter, except I am quite confident based on what I know that he didn't.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2131 on: February 23, 2023, 07:09:13 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

The theory is that the publicity will prejudice the members of a real grand jury with a real power to indict, because they all read the newspapers and/or Atlas. It is not going anywhere. This foreplay is not going to let Trump skate if he committed a crime on this matter, except I am quite confident based on what I know that he didn't.

Are you implying that Trump didn’t commit a crime?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2132 on: February 23, 2023, 07:31:57 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

Based on what I know, I am stating it, not merely implying it, as to the attempt to corrupt the election or storm the Capitol. The best paths involve the false statements regarding documents he should not have had in his possession (papergate), a path degraded by Biden and Pence doing the same thing, albeit without lying, and tax and other personal and corporate frauds.

That does not mean he will not be indicted on alleged crimes based on election related raps, but in the end he will skate if indicted, and perhaps even get a new lease on political life if the indictment(s) crash and fail. I hope calmer heads will prevail.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2133 on: February 23, 2023, 08:18:29 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

Based on what I know, I am stating it, not merely implying it, as to the attempt to corrupt the election or storm the Capitol. The best paths involve the false statements regarding documents he should not have had in his possession (papergate), a path degraded by Biden and Pence doing the same thing, albeit without lying, and tax and other personal and corporate frauds.

That does not mean he will not be indicted on alleged crimes based on election related raps, but in the end he will skate if indicted, and perhaps even get a new lease on political life if the indictment(s) crash and fail. I hope calmer heads will prevail.

Why would he skate if indicted? Can you explain to me what would happen after he is indicted?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2134 on: February 23, 2023, 08:21:04 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2023, 09:05:06 PM by Torie »

Emily Kohrs.

Why would he skate if indicted? Can you explain to me what would happen after he is indicted?

The prosecution fails, either with a jury if not dismissed by a trial judge or on appeal. Perhaps I am missing the thrust of your question. I don't think Trump committed a crime on the matters that i described based on what I know so far.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2135 on: February 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM »

Emily Kohrs.

The prosecution fails, either with a jury if not dismissed by a trial judge or on appeal. Perhaps I am missing the trust of your question. I don't think Trump committed a crime on the matters that i described based on what I know so far.

So you are implying that Trump did nothing illegal regarding the Georgia case and there are no ground to prosecute him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2136 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:17 PM »

I told you based on what I know, I am stating not implying that he did not commit a crime. So thus the concern about a failed prosecution. On a civil level what he was trying to accomplish was not legal. That is my opinion.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2137 on: February 23, 2023, 09:18:15 PM »

Plenty of legal experts disagree with the take, that what he did on Jan 6 does not constitute a crime, that the phone call we heard does not constitute a crime, that he will be acquitted on these if the charges are brought.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2138 on: February 23, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »

BTW, the judge overseeing the Georgia grand jury defended the foreperson today and said she was allowed to say what she said. So at worst I think it makes jury selection harder. The transparency she provided is intended under Georgia law.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2139 on: February 24, 2023, 09:40:51 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2023, 09:44:57 AM by The Trump Virus »

How is the GA phone call not a crime?

He is literally on tape demanding the SoS to illegally "find" votes in his favor. There's no exaggeration there. He is friggin president pressuring officials to do something illegal.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2140 on: February 24, 2023, 04:56:05 PM »

Special counsel investigating Trump asks federal judge to compel Mike Pence to give Jan. 6 testimony

Special counsel Jack Smith has asked a federal judge to compel former Vice President Mike Pence to testify before a federal grand jury about the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, a senior law enforcement official confirmed to NBC News on Friday.

The motion was filed before U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell in Washington and remains sealed. It was first reported by CBS News. The judge will likely set dates for motions to be filed and possibly to hear oral arguments.

NBC News reported this month that Smith had subpoenaed Pence in the Jan. 6 portion of the special counsel’s investigation. Former President Donald Trump’s legal team is fighting the subpoena.

Pence himself told reporters last week that he would fight the subpoena.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/special-counsel-investigating-trump-asks-federal-judge-compel-pence-te-rcna72252
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2141 on: March 02, 2023, 10:08:43 AM »

In search of a crime to get Donald Trump

Shocking as it may be, Alan Dershowitz agrees with me that grand juries suck more or less, and the potential of an irresistible impulse to bag Trump just might reanimate the beast. It's lonely at the top.  Angel

https://dersh.substack.com/p/in-search-of-a-crime-to-get-donald?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=373575&post_id=106019883&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2142 on: March 02, 2023, 10:18:05 AM »

Speaking of grand juries, the next Fulton County regular grand jury term starts on Tuesday, March 7.  If Fani Willis decides to charge anyone and is ready to bring indictments, this term will be her first opportunity to do so.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2143 on: March 02, 2023, 02:23:51 PM »

Lawsuit Against Trump Over Capitol Attack Should Proceed, Justice Dept. Says

Justice Department says that Trump is /not/ protected by immunity for his ‘alleged’ crimes on January 6th.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2144 on: March 02, 2023, 03:03:43 PM »

Speaking of grand juries, the next Fulton County regular grand jury term starts on Tuesday, March 7.  If Fani Willis decides to charge anyone and is ready to bring indictments, this term will be her first opportunity to do so.

How does this work for more common crimes? Like if somebody was arrested for murder like a month ago, would they really not be able to formally charge them until March?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #2145 on: March 06, 2023, 08:14:36 PM »

Today's the big day where Tucker tells us what REALLY happened!!!!!11!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2146 on: March 06, 2023, 09:12:13 PM »

Today's the big day where Tucker tells us what REALLY happened!!!!!11!

I'm no sure exactly what you are trying to say.
But in any case, update this in a new post of yours, regarding what Tucker found/said.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2147 on: March 06, 2023, 09:15:27 PM »

Arrest warrant issued for Jan. 6 defendant who has gone missing with trial set to begin.

The FBI is searching for a Florida woman who did not show up to court in Washington, DC, on Monday, when she was set to go to trial on federal charges related to the January 6, 2021, US Capitol riot.

According to a warrant issued for her arrest, court officials have not been able to locate defendant Olivia Pollock since late February. The government’s search for Pollock was largely kept under wraps until she did not show up for her trial.

https://us.cnn.com/2023/03/06/politics/olivia-pollock-january-6-missing/index.html

If she is still in the country, I have a feeling they will find her. It may take a while, but it's hard nowadays to hide indefinitely.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2148 on: March 06, 2023, 11:52:30 PM »

Tucker said the police did January 6th. Though it is possible QAnon Shaman merely possessed their spirits to get them to try and unlock every door for him and his friends before praising their benevolent assistance in making the day possible.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2149 on: March 07, 2023, 08:54:51 AM »

That certainly doesn't look good on the police.

It needs investigating but if it's as it appears in that video, then some of those officers need to be charged too.

And also, whether the police acted appropriately or not, Jacob Chansley was still there in an assault on our nation. So I'm not sure if Tucker's goal is to create sympathy for him? Or to implicate the police as well as Chansley.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 150  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies