Opinion of Pope Francis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:47:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Pope Francis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: its your choose
FF

Antipope Bergogli-NO

He's creating confusion and needs to provide clarity

TRADITION, FAMILY, PROPERTY

Cardinal Burke

Cardinal Marx

TO CHANGE THE CHURCH (and it's a good thing)

TO CHANGE THE CHURCH (and it's a bad thing)

Pachamama

HP

Protestant (either you are or you think he is)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope Francis  (Read 2132 times)
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

« on: October 28, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »

I used to think the hate he got was overblown, but the recent Pan-Amazon Synod imbroglio has convinced me that it is completely deserved. I voted "Pachamama".
I understand why that would be, but speaking for myself, the Pan-Amazon Synod actually solidified me in my conviction that the haters are looking for any and every excuse to lambast him, regardless of whether it's semi-reasonable (the Pachamama stuff, for my take on which see one of my posts on the first page of the "Haunting message from indigenous Amazonian" thread) or obvious BS (the idea that the synod was somehow "communist"). I voted "Pachamama" too.
    Is that the post where you said that he was told they were representations of the Virgin Mary? If he actually bought that as an explanation, then I don't really see how he is fit to be pontiff. A leader in the faith needs to be capable of discerning the true faith from idolatry. I try to limit the extent to which I comment on Catholic matters since I am not one, but stuff like this reifies why I am not one.
Okay, I'll bite--what exactly about the statues makes them unacceptable as representations of the Virgin Mary, keeping in mind that Catholic Marian iconography and Eastern Orthodox Marian iconography are not the same?
     Iconography of the Virgin Mary presents her as dressed in a distinctly conservative fashion, which itself carries important theological reasons, as well as the symbolism of the choice of dress. I get there are variations in these representations of her, but I am curious to know if there are genuine icons where she is just completely naked.
I don't think it's necessarily heretical, but it's certainly not a good thing. Mary is the Sacred Virgin, the Mother of God. There has been nude religious artwork in the past; however, I don't know any example of Marian artwork like this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies