Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:12:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 92840 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 11:31:46 PM »

Good work! Kinda annoying they want Fairfield when Franklin + Delware + Morrow is like exactly 2 districts.

I think this is an instance where COI > minimizing county splits.  Even though Morrow is technically within the Columbus MSA it isn't really part of the Columbus core.  Fairfield actually has some parts of Columbus proper within it as well as several bordering suburban cities.

However, I do think it is odd to insist on including a part of Fairfield specifically.  There are portions of Licking and Union that would make much more sense from a compactness point of view.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 11:31:18 PM »

Why is Dublin still attached to Union County?

Dublin + Marysville is actually a legit COI if you think about it.  The reason Dublin's Asian population is so high is because of Honda in Marysville.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 04:36:17 PM »

If the OH GOP draws a map that the court finds unsatisfactory once again, does the court then draw it? Perhaps the court is fully aware of this and wants this regardless, but making an OH map truly proportional requires a lot of Dem friendly choices. I think a court may actually be too uncomfortable to make a 8-7. I think a map that is proportional enough for the court to accept would be farther left than what the court draws itself.

I mean we will see with the state  legislature maps right now. The court could accept, reject and say try again until a product is satisfactory, or, more likely in my opinion given the time constraints and how little the passed maps reflect some other submitted as evidence the court for acceptable, find them in contempt of the court and change the game so things are not stuck in place. Whatever happens will probably impact the congressional calculus.

The plaintiffs are officially taking the new legislative maps back to court so we shall see what happens ...

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/01/25/redistricting-new-legislative-maps-still-violate-ohio-constitution/9200031002/
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies