Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?  (Read 6715 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« on: October 05, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »

After announcing her vote for Kavanaugh, did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?

Her recipe for winning is to sweep the moderates and win ~40% of Democrats.

I don't see how that would be possible after she voted for Kavanaugh
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »

No. Nobody will remember or care by 2020. There's going to be thousands of new shiny objects over the next 2 years.

The nominating process will be forgotten, but Collins could be blamed by a potential challenger for any Supreme Court ruling that takes place after Kavanaugh is confirmed. That is not easy to forget.

99.9% of the time an event that occurs 2 years before an election has zero impact on said election, regardless of how sure the Atlas Forum, pundits, and the media is that it will impact it. So I've got to like those odds. I'll believe it when I see it.

Eh not always. I think this is true on balance, but Ben Nelson became toxic over ACA years after the fact

Plenty of Dems who got tons of flack after voting for Obamacare were re-elected anyway. Nelson was unpopular because he was a Democrat in a deep red state, that's about it. I doubt he would've been more popular if he voted against Obamacare. Mike Ross voted against Obamacare and barely did any better than Mark Pryor who voted for it, even despite the fact that gubernatorial elections are typically less partisan than Senate elections.

Yes, but those Democrats are in blue states
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »

No. Nobody will remember or care by 2020. There's going to be thousands of new shiny objects over the next 2 years.

The nominating process will be forgotten, but Collins could be blamed by a potential challenger for any Supreme Court ruling that takes place after Kavanaugh is confirmed. That is not easy to forget.

99.9% of the time an event that occurs 2 years before an election has zero impact on said election, regardless of how sure the Atlas Forum, pundits, and the media is that it will impact it. So I've got to like those odds. I'll believe it when I see it.

Eh not always. I think this is true on balance, but Ben Nelson became toxic over ACA years after the fact

Plenty of Dems who got tons of flack after voting for Obamacare were re-elected anyway. Nelson was unpopular because he was a Democrat in a deep red state, that's about it. I doubt he would've been more popular if he voted against Obamacare. Mike Ross voted against Obamacare and barely did any better than Mark Pryor who voted for it, even despite the fact that gubernatorial elections are typically less partisan than Senate elections.

Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, and West Virginia are blue states?

Anyway, I'm not sure why people are still acting like Maine is a solid D state anyway. It only voted for Hillary by 3 points. It's not like Collins would need to retain tons of crossover support to be re-elected at this point.

You are a joke around this forum because you didn't bother to do basic research.

Joe Donnelly and Joe Manchin weren't even in the senate. Claire McCaskill was up again the joke Todd Akin.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:02:06 PM »

Anyway, I'm not sure why people are still acting like Maine is a solid D state anyway. It only voted for Hillary by 3 points. It's not like Collins would need to retain tons of crossover support to be re-elected at this point.

You are a joke around this forum because you didn't bother to do basic research.

Joe Donnelly and Joe Manchin weren't even in the senate. Claire McCaskill was up again the the joke Todd Akin.

Donnelly voted for it when he was in the House, Einstein.

My mistake.

Donnelly was up against "rape is something God intended to happen" Mourdock.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »

Joe Donnelly and Joe Manchin weren't even in the senate. Claire McCaskill was up again the the joke Todd Akin.

Donnelly voted for it when he was in the House, Einstein.

My mistake.

Donnelly was up against "rape is something God intended to happen" Mourdock.

So what's the excuse for Nelson, Tester, and Brown? If Obamacare was such an impotent factor that it can be counteracted by a mere "muh Connie Mack was a weak candidate" or whatever, then clearly it didn't have anywhere near as much impact as you thought.

It's pretty obvious there was little to no penalty for voting for Obamacare two years after the fact. There may have been a penalty for Democrats who voted for it later that year in 2010. Similarly, Collins might be in trouble if the election was in a month. But it's not. 2 years is plenty of time to forget and for other issues to become far more salient than this one.

Nelson and Brown won reelection in 2012 when Obama won their state.

Trump is probably not going to win Maine in 2020.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies