Is premarital sex immoral?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 03:16:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is premarital sex immoral?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Pretty straight-forward
Yes (Left-leaning)

No (Left-leaning)

Yes (Right-leaning)

No (Right-leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: Is premarital sex immoral?  (Read 5768 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »

Yes, it is always immoral and is not focused on enough by Evangelicals:

There is no circumstance in which it is acceptable for people to have sex outside of the confines of a Biblical marriage.  The "religious right" is right to condemn homosexual sex as wrong, but it is not strong enough about condemning all heterosexual sex between unmarried men and women- this includes everything from one-night-stands to long-term relationships that have not resulted in marriage. 

I don't want to get off topic, but I wonder if that's because the latter hits closer to home for many of us- how many evangelicals have sinned by having sex in a long-term heterosexual relationship, but before marriage?  Even the best Christians sin, and we cannot simply condemn those that are foreign to us (I don't think I regularly interact with a single non-straight person, for instance) while ignoring those that impact our communities more (I know plenty of Christians who have had pre-marital sex and presume many that I don't know about have as well).

Also, just because something is a sin and a person is a sinner does not give us permission to treat anybody with disrespect.  Every person on this Earth sins, which is why Jesus died for our sins.  We must respect sinners as people, but we also must do our best to not respect their sins.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »

No (normal)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:10:05 PM »

Are you Amish or something?
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 11:11:16 PM »

Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »

Just because you're not having it doesn't mean it's immoral.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:17:36 PM »

No, not like Atlas has to worry about it much anyway.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:19:42 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2019, 11:23:14 PM by Celes »

Always immoral? No.

Mostly immoral? No.

Theoretically, are there contexts in which premarital sex could be considered "immoral?" Yes.

Theoretically, are there contexts in which marital sex could be considered "immoral?" Yes.

Ought we be "moral" people? Yes, and "morality" should purposefully be left vague and self-constructed.

Ought "morality" be prescribed by any central authority, be it a religious organization, political institution, or otherwise? This is the United States of America. We are individualists. Absolutely not. End of story.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 11:31:02 PM »

No lmfao
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »

UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:42:48 PM »

For centuries Christian church marriage was largely a sacrament for those with title or property. Most of the Christian population did not do more than verbally agree to be wed, often without witnesses in what we today might consider as a common-law marriage. It was only the pressures of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation that had both sides demand that a wedding be a church function to be legitimate, presumably so they would know who their own believers were.

So by the measure of Christianity, sex outside of a church-sanctioned wedding only became immoral about 1500 years after the founding of the Church. Were those millions of earlier Christians immoral? I don't think so.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »

Yes, it is always immoral and is not focused on enough by Evangelicals:

Yeah, good luck winning over converts that way
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 11:48:41 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:38 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2019, 12:43:12 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Obviously and we must remake this the foundation of America. There is no principle more important. If this is not immoral, then virtually nothing is.

I would be strongly open to instituting criminal penalties against cohabitation. This is one of the biggest reasons for my opposition to Rick Scott in the Senate race.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 12:44:58 AM »

Obviously and we must remake this the foundation of America. There is no principle more important. If this is not immoral, then virtually nothing is.

I would be strongly open to instituting criminal penalties against cohabitation. This is one of the biggest reasons for my opposition to Rick Scott in the Senate race.

dude that's hilarious, the cops breaking down your door because you're sleeping with someone is real "small goverment" lmfao
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 12:46:48 AM »

Yes. Highly.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 12:49:36 AM »

dude that's hilarious, the cops breaking down your door because you're sleeping with someone is real "small goverment" lmfao

I am the biggest or one of the biggest opponents of small government on Earth. Theocratic autocracy must finally reach out shores.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 12:50:21 AM »

I am the biggest or one of the biggest opponents of small government on Earth. Theocratic autocracy must finally reach out shores.

like the Taliban?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 12:51:31 AM »

B*(ch please, it's all about the pluralistic oligarchy! All teh rage bruh!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 12:52:22 AM »

like the Taliban?

The Taliban wishes it had as many immorality bans as my ideal Nation.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 12:53:15 AM »

For centuries Christian church marriage was largely a sacrament for those with title or property. Most of the Christian population did not do more than verbally agree to be wed, often without witnesses in what we today might consider as a common-law marriage. It was only the pressures of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation that had both sides demand that a wedding be a church function to be legitimate, presumably so they would know who their own believers were.

So by the measure of Christianity, sex outside of a church-sanctioned wedding only became immoral about 1500 years after the founding of the Church. Were those millions of earlier Christians immoral? I don't think so.

It depends on what you mean by church-sanctioned. Prior to the Council of Trent, the Church would have recognized common law marriages as legitimate. While the form of the wedding may be somewhat different than that of today, having sex in a medieval common law marriage not the same as pre-marital sex.

That, and that most Christians would only require the marriage to be valid, not necessarily in the Church. For example, if two Hindus in India get married and then have sex, they wouldn't be having pre-marital sex, presuming their marriage is valid.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 12:53:55 AM »

I would be strongly open to instituting criminal penalties against cohabitation.

I'm not sure. Same-sex unmarried couples could easily get around such penalties by posing as "roommates," and while I'm generally in favor of putting more straight people through the criminal justice system, I have a feeling this could backfire.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:33 AM »

like the Taliban?

damn brah that's hard as hell. not my cup of tea, but that's like, some serious ambition.

would your ideal nation also execute people for jaywalking?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 01:08:21 AM »

My greatest fear in having children is that they fail to abide by the most essential law of the Lord. If they were to fall into our greater society's putrid ways, it would be better for them not to have been born at all. As such, contact with the decomposing souls around them will need to be near zero until I can make arrangements for them.

I would be strongly open to instituting criminal penalties against cohabitation.

I'm not sure. Same-sex unmarried couples could easily get around such penalties by posing as "roommates," and while I'm generally in favor of putting more straight people through the criminal justice system, I have a feeling this could backfire.

I have given both issues significant thought. Requiring a bedroom per occupant and heavy patrolling of American gayborhoods for signs of affection between those without licenses would near the top of my priorities. This is absolutely critical so that nobody receives an unfair advantage by creating economies of scale without committing to a life partner.

like the Taliban?

damn brah that's hard as hell. not my cup of tea, but that's like, some serious ambition.

would your ideal nation also execute people for jaywalking?

While I do believe pedestrians are some of the most unfairly privileged people in America, I have no issue with jaywalkers. Let the automobilists decide how to handle it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 01:13:23 AM »

I've never understood how/why sex is considered immoral.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies