Study shows Americans are forgetting the Holocaust
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:34:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Study shows Americans are forgetting the Holocaust
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Study shows Americans are forgetting the Holocaust  (Read 3789 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/study-shows-americans-are-forgetting-about-holocaust-n865396

You must be logged in to read this quote.
kyc0705

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2018, 06:05:15 PM by kyc0705 »

It's not that Americans are less knowledgeable about it now than ever before. It's a general lack of education about these things which is comparable to similar data from previous decades. Someone pointed out on Twitter that the number was 17% in 1994, which is roughly on par with 11% now.

EDIT: Here's the thread in question, from Harry Enten:
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

It's not that Americans are less knowledgeable about it now than ever before. It's a general lack of education about these things which is comparable to similar data from previous decades. Someone pointed out on Twitter that the number was 17% in 1994, which is roughly on par with 11% now.

It's still incredibly sad that millions of Americans don't know about the Holocaust when people who suffered because of it are still ALIVE today. I think the concern is legitimate that as the remaining survivors die, people will know of the horrors of the Holocaust less and less. We all have a responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen.
kyc0705

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »

It's still incredibly sad that millions of Americans don't know about the Holocaust when people who suffered because of it are still ALIVE today. I think the concern is legitimate that as the remaining survivors die, people will know of the horrors of the Holocaust less and less. We all have a responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, I think a kind of "knowledge slip" is largely inevitable, because it's the kind of thing that happens to countless events over time. Once something enters the realms of relatively distant history (defined as nobody alive remembering it), there's a tendency to file it away. I'm not sure how we stop the effect itself from occurring, but I obviously agree that there's a necessity in preserving information and accounts while there are still living survivors.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »

Unfortunately, as long as education is not funded appropriately and museums and historical programs (like a lot of what the national park service does) are defunded, this problem will continue to get worse. We also have the cultural issue of acting like history is "boring" and not worth learning, but it's literally what helps us understand where we've been and why things are the way they are.

People who have experienced things personally are a wonderful reminder, but their deaths are not what causes this. These people have shared their stories time and again, in books, museums, documentaries, etc etc. It's that the majority of the population isn't interested or aware, and that breaks my heart.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:24:29 PM »

Teachers are marching in the streets because their schools aren't getting enough funding, and then we're shocked that the younger generation doesn't know about the Holocaust.

Oh, and of course let's not forget another group of people marching in the street that factors into decreasing acceptance of the Holocaust...
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »

I was very fortunate to have a close family friend who was part of the group that found Dachau in the waning days of the war, and last fall I visited Dachau and was utterly floored. Unfortunately, most Americans do not share that privilege of knowledge. As it grows more and more distant... very sad that it slips from memory.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »

Unfortunately, as long as education is not funded appropriately and museums and historical programs (like a lot of what the national park service does) are defunded, this problem will continue to get worse. We also have the cultural issue of acting like history is "boring" and not worth learning, but it's literally what helps us understand where we've been and why things are the way they are.

People who have experienced things personally are a wonderful reminder, but their deaths are not what causes this. These people have shared their stories time and again, in books, museums, documentaries, etc etc. It's that the majority of the population isn't interested or aware, and that breaks my heart.

Great summation of the issues.  Agreed.
James Monroe

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »

Well, we know that trump's alt-right segment of the GOP hasn't forgotten about the Jewish people.
Think about it .... they went out of their way to buy tiki torches and to march around in massive numbers at night, screaming "Jews will not replace us."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 04:53:38 AM »

Not Jewish or of Jewish origin, and born ten years after the end of World War II, I see the images of horror from the Holocaust -- it might as well be my experience. It may be only from grainy, black-and-white newsreels, but it is beyond denial. And then there are the incriminating documents of the Nazis. It may be distressing to me that perpetrators of the Holocaust (as I am about half German in origin) are seventh cousins or so, so it is distressing that people with whom I share much culture are guilty.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 05:04:48 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2018, 05:05:32 AM by Vice President PiT »

Spitfires, Battle of Britain, U-Boats. All of the WWII issues that were common knowledge 30 years ago are washed away with the passage of time.

As for Jewish people losing their sainted victim status, I cannot agree with that terminology before any discussion starts.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »

As for Jewish people losing their sainted victim status, I cannot agree with that terminology before any discussion starts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »

I’ve never met someone who doesn’t know about the Holocaust and I’ve met some pretty stupid people.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 07:21:20 AM »

Once we forget the Holocaust, the "Zionism is Racism" crowd can begin to hold sway in education. 

Zionism is the Jewish people's claim to a piece of the World's turf.  It is a claim that is buttressed not only by history, but by the fact that the Holocaust happened in what would be considered to be a country that is one of the pillars of "Western Civilization" (Germany), and a country that, prior to WWI, was one of the countries more tolerant of Jews in Europe. 

No, we should not forget that the Holocaust happened.  Indeed, there should be MORE education as to how it happened.  And the "Zionism is Racism" crowd need to be called out at every turn.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »

It takes a truly demented mind to blame immigration for poor historical knowledge
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »

No wonder the BDS Movement is gaining such momentum as of late.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 10:29:50 AM »

No wonder the BDS Movement White Supremacist groups are gaining such momentum as of late.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »

Very good, sad and moving documentary from the ORF public broadcaster on this topic, called "An end to guilt ? What the Holocaust has to do with me."

... which was aired a few weeks ago at the 80th anniversary of Austria's annexation to Nazi-Germany and moderated by ORF-journalist Lisa Gadenstätter, who is also from Zell am See, like myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox0Ij_2VmX8

The subtitle translation into English is horrible though, so it's mostly for German-speakers.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:34 PM »

It takes a truly demented mind to blame immigration for poor historical knowledge

First and second generation Mexican Americans care less about World War II than Americans who had grandparents who fought in it. Literally, why wouldn't they? It wouldn't make sense if they didn't.

Non-white immigrants care less about European history than white people. That's why there are constantly protests on college campus calling to focus less on Europe.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »

Pretty much every group is "racist" in this regard. Not only do Mexicans not care as much about WW2 as white people. White people don't care as much about, say, the Mexican revolution. People care less about things they are not personally attached to. How is this controversial?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 12:04:07 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2018, 05:11:21 AM by Vice President PiT »

I can’t tell whether this is meant to say that you hate Jews or Hispanics. Presumably both.

Yeah, he has to insert his racism even in a thread about the holocaust. Ironic. I reported his post, even though I know it probably doesn't violate the ToS, because it made me sick that someone would use rhetoric like that a few days after the holocause remembrance day, in a thread concerning the holocaust.

Unfortunately, I think a kind of "knowledge slip" is largely inevitable, because it's the kind of thing that happens to countless events over time. Once something enters the realms of relatively distant history (defined as nobody alive remembering it), there's a tendency to file it away. I'm not sure how we stop the effect itself from occurring, but I obviously agree that there's a necessity in preserving information and accounts while there are still living survivors.

I agree with you both. That's another reason the Israeli government has a responsibility beyond just teaching Jews in Israel about the holocaust- even if all the others forget, our people have to remember. They could start by not alienating reform and conservative Jews because the ultra-orthodox\haredim hate everyone who isn't as zealous as them, but that's not the thread to discuss it.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2018, 05:27:22 PM by Famous Mortimer »

This comment is so stupid.

First of all, American teachers are paid more on average than teachers in Western Europe. Second, how much extra money do they need to teach about the Holocaust? What are they doing in the absence of that extra money? Are they staring at the wall doing nothing? Are they teaching about other things in place of the Holocaust? You realize teaching about other things takes just as much effort as teaching about the Holocaust, so why does funding make a difference.

Same with Holocaust Museums getting less funding now. Do you think the directors of Holocaust Museums are now just sitting around doing nothing, unable to act because their salaries have been cut from 100k to 75k a year? How much money do they need to do their job of signing off on the same press release about how racism is bad every year?

I can't believe this dumb comment got like 7 people block quoting it and going "wow, such a good comment" while my own comment was deleted dispite the person who flagged it 1) not even trying to explain how it was wrong and 2) admitting he didn't think I violated any rules.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »

[...]

I can't believe this dumb comment got like 7 people block quoting it and going "wow, such a good comment" while my only comment was deleted dispute the person who flagged it 1) not even trying to explain how it was wrong and 2) admitting he didn't think I violated any rules.

I didn't get a look at before then, so I looked at the report, and wow, you are obsessed with race and I guess by extension from that comment, immigration. It's as if those two things form a filter through which all your thoughts flow.

Then again, I do believe you said to me that you come here to post mostly about those things, so I guess it's not surprising that you somehow integrate them into everything, even the Holocaust. If you're going to post what you did, maybe you should at least post some hard data backing it up. Otherwise it just sounds like some bs you cooked up to shift blame to the others.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies