Study shows Americans are forgetting the Holocaust
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:53:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Study shows Americans are forgetting the Holocaust
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Study shows Americans are forgetting the Holocaust  (Read 3819 times)
BundouYMB

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »

Unfortunately, as long as education is not funded appropriately and museums and historical programs (like a lot of what the national park service does) are defunded, this problem will continue to get worse. We also have the cultural issue of acting like history is "boring" and not worth learning, but it's literally what helps us understand where we've been and why things are the way they are.

People who have experienced things personally are a wonderful reminder, but their deaths are not what causes this. These people have shared their stories time and again, in books, museums, documentaries, etc etc. It's that the majority of the population isn't interested or aware, and that breaks my heart.

This comment is so stupid.

First of all, American teachers are paid more on average than teachers in Western Europe. Second, how much extra money do they need to teach about the Holocaust? What are they doing in the absence of that extra money? Are they staring at the wall doing nothing? Are they teaching about other things in place of the Holocaust? You realize teaching about other things takes just as much effort as teaching about the Holocaust, so why does funding make a difference.

Same with Holocaust Museums getting less funding now. Do you think the directors of Holocaust Museums are now just sitting around doing nothing, unable to act because their salaries have been cut from 100k to 75k a year? How much money do they need to do their job of singing off on the same press release about how racism is bad every year?

I can't believe this dumb comment got like 7 people block quoting it and going "wow, such a good comment" while my only comment was deleted dispute the person who flagged it 1) not even trying to explain how it was wrong and 2) admitting he didn't think I violated any rules.

There's an old saying that if you meet one person in a bad mood it's probably them, but if everyone you meet is in a bad mood it's probably you. Has it ever occured to you that your inability to understand simple logic that everyone else easily grasps is because you're stupid, and not because you're so much smarter than everyone else?

Just curious.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »

Unfortunately, as long as education is not funded appropriately and museums and historical programs (like a lot of what the national park service does) are defunded, this problem will continue to get worse. We also have the cultural issue of acting like history is "boring" and not worth learning, but it's literally what helps us understand where we've been and why things are the way they are.

People who have experienced things personally are a wonderful reminder, but their deaths are not what causes this. These people have shared their stories time and again, in books, museums, documentaries, etc etc. It's that the majority of the population isn't interested or aware, and that breaks my heart.

First of all, American teachers are paid more on average than teachers in Western Europe. Second, how much extra money do they need to teach about the Holocaust? What are they doing in the absence of that extra money? Are they staring at the wall doing nothing? Are they teaching about other things in place of the Holocaust? You realize teaching about other things takes just as much effort as teaching about the Holocaust, so why does funding make a difference.

Same with Holocaust Museums getting less funding now. Do you think the directors of Holocaust Museums are now just sitting around doing nothing, unable to act because their salaries have been cut from 100k to 75k a year? How much money do they need to do their job of singing off on the same press release about how racism is bad every year?

I can't believe this dumb comment got like 7 people block quoting it and going "wow, such a good comment" while my only comment was deleted dispute the person who flagged it 1) not even trying to explain how it was wrong and 2) admitting he didn't think I violated any rules.

There's an old saying that if you meet one person in a bad mood it's probably them, but if everyone you meet is in a bad mood it's probably you. Has it ever occured to you that your inability to understand simple logic that everyone else easily grasps is because you're stupid, and not because you're so much smarter than everyone else?

Just curious.

If I was stupid, people wouldn't need to delete my comments and resort to name calling, they could just explain why I was wrong.
BundouYMB

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »

Just curious.

If I was stupid, people wouldn't need to delete my comments and resort to name calling, they could just explain why I was wrong.

if you were walking down the street having a conversation with a friend and a hobo lunged out of an alley waving his arms and shouting nonsense would you try to bring him into your conversation or would you walk a little quicker? That's basically what you are to this forum. You come into completely unrelated threads and try to derail them with your racist nonsense and people respond appropriately. It doesn't mean you're smarter than the people who ignore you or want you off this forum.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »

It takes a truly demented mind to blame immigration for poor historical knowledge

First and second generation Mexican Americans care less about World War II than Americans who had grandparents who fought in it. Literally, why wouldn't they? It wouldn't make sense if they didn't.

Non-white immigrants care less about European history than white people. That's why there are constantly protests on college campus calling to focus less on Europe.

There's probably something to this.  As more people live without personal contact with that story through their elder relatives, as there is a media environment where one can not be put into contact with this story, there is less awareness. Defeating Hitler was a big source for national pride for a long time, and the Holocaust is the greatest evidence of how important that was.  There are a number of reasons why Soviet atrocities have always been less well known in the West than those of the Nazis, some of them perhaps justified, but the fact of who we were allied with plays a major role. Just as it does that Syria captures the moral attention of the nation while comparatively few are even aware there is a humanitarian disaster we are a part of in Yemen.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »

Just curious.

If you WERE* stupid.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »

Same with Holocaust Museums getting less funding now. Do you think the directors of Holocaust Museums are now just sitting around doing nothing, unable to act because their salaries have been cut from 100k to 75k a year? How much money do they need to do their job of signing off on the same press release about how racism is bad every year?

I can't believe this dumb comment got like 7 people block quoting it and going "wow, such a good comment" while my own comment was deleted dispite the person who flagged it 1) not even trying to explain how it was wrong and 2) admitting he didn't think I violated any rules.

It gets approval because it advocates part of the liberal agenda as a solution to a problem (more funding for education).

American schoolchildren are bombarded in the media with how this and that racial injustice occurred, is occurring, and this emphasis has impacted school curricula as well.  Malcolm X, who despised Jews, is now presented as a hero.  (Read his own autobiography by Alex Haley, then judge for yourself.)  Apologia for the Palestinians amidst the assertions of "Zionism is Racism" by misguided souls are part of our national dialogue.  The development of Identity Politics in America has placed black victims, Hispanic victims, illegal immigrant victims, Native American victims, etc. on center stage in academia and in the national media.  The Holocaust, once a front-and-center issue for the liberal media, faded as Identity Politics grew, and as Zionism found an ally in the Religious Right.  Lastly, our war in Iraq was an unpopular war that many (mostly on the left) view as a venture used to support Israel.  (Netanyahu's return to power has made Israel to appear as part of the GOP Abroad in the minds of many liberals.)  

Historical emphasis and media emphasis has shifted because the principle of the enemy of my enemy being my friend is powerful all around.  The horror of the Holocaust doesn't fit in with the liberal narrative as it once did because of political considerations at home.  We have become so politicized that we cannot seem to condemn injustice and comfort victims when it doesn't fit our political narratives.  
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies