Republicans - where in the bible does it say Jesus is pro-death penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:40:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans - where in the bible does it say Jesus is pro-death penalty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are Religious people hypocrites if they love Jesus but are pro-death penalty
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Republicans - where in the bible does it say Jesus is pro-death penalty  (Read 5306 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2005, 12:14:45 PM »

Where in the bible does it say mr.bush that jesus is pro-death penalty.

Karl Rove has told the American people that you read the bible, so can you show me where he says that he is pro-death penalty.
i saw you lie to republicans in the iowa caucus when you said "jesus touched my heart" so if he touched your heart how are you still pro- death penalty.

i repeat again where in the bible does it say that jesus is pro- death penalty.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 12:24:08 PM »

Go here:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

And learn to use the SEARCH button.  This was discussed less than 2 months ago.
MissCatholic

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 12:26:07 PM »

Nice site. sorry i wasnt on two months ago. dont know all the parts of thesite sorry.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 07:59:21 PM »

Leading by example maybe?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 08:05:20 PM »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jesus+death+penalty

The above should give you sufficient reference to many people who believe Jesus supported the death penalty, including specific bible quotes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 08:54:29 PM »

I may be one of the few people who does not base their political views on Jesus's.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 08:58:22 PM »

I'd like to welcome nomorelies back to the forum.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 09:06:29 PM »

Well, the Romans were definitely big fans anyway...

Let's see - first site: The old testament sanctions the death penalty.  God wrote the old testement.  Jesus is God, ergo wrote the old testament and believes in the death penalty.   Nice circular reasoning.  Similar arguements could be used to claim that Jesus sanctions slavery and human sacrafice.

Second site: Murder victim says 'Jesus loves you' over and over.  Nice appeal to emotion, but not a lot of theology.  Next.

Third site is anti-death penalty.

Fourth uses an arguement similar to the first, noting that Jesus did not specifically argue against the death penalty, and further pointing out that he favors the death penalty for anyone who disobeys their parents (And you though you had it tough making it home late for curfew as a kid).

The fifth site is religioustollerance.org, which has a breakdown of the position of the major faiths and sects in the US and their opinion of the death penalty.  To summarize  the Christian groups:  Against: Roman Catholics, American Baptists, Methodists, Evangelical Luterans, Eastern Orthodox, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, The reformed church, and the United Church of Christ.  In favor: Southern Baptists, Missouri Synod Lutherans, Mormons, and some Pentecostals.

Then there's another against, then one based on revelations.  (You can tell a hardcore fundie, because they like revelations better than the gospels).

In a nutshell, you can make an arguement for just about anything based on the bible.  It's hard enough to translate, much less understand clearly.   There are at the several dozen major branches of Christianity, and hundreds of sects, all of whom have their own way of viewing the same document.
cwelsch

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 05:16:04 PM »

I'm not really interested in the debate, but I'm fairly certain the Bible says "eye for an eye" somewhere in it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »

I may be one of the few people who does not base their political views on Jesus's.

Yes, we're a dying breed, it seems.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 05:22:51 PM »

Jesus taught love and forgiveness, not hate and revenge for sins against God. If you look at the OT (Old Testament), a lot of what they were teaching was vengence for sins against God. Jesus was sent to, not only take the sins of man away, but to instill the values of love and forgiveness.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 05:24:05 PM »

Pretty common in most 1st world countries.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 05:28:12 PM »

Yeah, I never vote on my religious beliefs. It just infuriates me when others misinterpret the teachings of Jesus and use them for justification of their political agendas
cwelsch

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 05:29:50 PM »

Jesus taught love and forgiveness, not hate and revenge for sins against God. If you look at the OT (Old Testament), a lot of what they were teaching was vengence for sins against God. Jesus was sent to, not only take the sins of man away, but to instill the values of love and forgiveness.
Yes, and we can see how well love and forgiveness worked against the Nazis at Auschwitz, the Japanese in Nanking and the Chinese in Tibet.  Love and forgiveness are fine, but they're no substitute for a serious ass-kicking.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 06:38:47 PM »

Love and forgiveness are fine, but they're no substitute for a serious ass-kicking.

I'm stealing that.  In the future I would like every who quotes that to credit it to me. 

Thanks.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 07:04:07 PM »

Love and forgiveness are fine, but they're no substitute for a serious ass-kicking.

I'm stealing that.  In the future I would like every who quotes that to credit it to me. 

Thanks.

Word of advice when stealing from Libertarians:

Beware of gun.

Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 07:16:06 PM »

Yeah, I never vote on my religious beliefs. It just infuriates me when others misinterpret the teachings of Jesus and use them for justification of their political agendas

It personally annoys me when someone justifies their political stances using nothing but a 2000-year-old book, regardless of whether or not I agree with those stances.  It makes discussion and rational debate and discourse absolutely impossible.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2005, 08:26:05 PM »

Thanks.

Beware of gun.

Wink

You call that a gun?  Never bring a pistol to a rifle fight.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2005, 08:26:35 PM »

Welcome back Nomorelies. We missed you around here.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 08:45:52 PM »

Thanks.

Beware of gun.

Wink

You call that a gun?  Never bring a pistol to a rifle fight.

A bullet to the head will almost always kill you regardless of what kind of gun it comes from.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 09:25:16 PM »

A bullet to the head will almost always kill you regardless of what kind of gun it comes from.

Tell that to this guy:

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »

Tell that to this guy:

I'm operating under the assumption that Tredick is human, not a movie character. Wink
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 10:23:41 PM »

Yes, and we can see how well love and forgiveness worked against the Nazis at Auschwitz, the Japanese in Nanking and the Chinese in Tibet.  Love and forgiveness are fine, but they're no substitute for a serious ass-kicking.

That's so true. Basically this debate always goes nowhere. You can't compare spiritual life to life on Earth. It's too difficult for non-believers to understand. I loathe debating religion.
Bugs

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 11:56:30 PM »

Returning to the original question, there is a verse in Genesis chapter 9, I'm not sure of the verse, that says in no uncertain terms that if a man takes another man's life, other men are to take his life.  Jesus didn't condemn the death penalty, even for the woman caught in adultry (John chapter Cool.  He wanted the accusers to acknowledge their own shortcomings rather than condemn someone else.  He'd have been the same way with a murderer. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 12:13:11 AM »

Returning to the original question, there is a verse in Genesis chapter 9, I'm not sure of the verse, that says in no uncertain terms that if a man takes another man's life, other men are to take his life.  Jesus didn't condemn the death penalty, even for the woman caught in adultry (John chapter 8 ).  He wanted the accusers to acknowledge their own shortcomings rather than condemn someone else.  He'd have been the same way with a murderer. 

True, but he wasn't against any sort of earthy justice system.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies