AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:22:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)  (Read 56114 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: December 10, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »

I'm at a hardcore show now so I'll say more when I get home/sober up but one thing I think is being underdiscussed is who exactly is Sinema going to get her campaign funds from? Corporate PACs aren't enough and probably won't even be interested, they like to back winners. Maybe she can get some hoping to keep influence for the rest of her current Senate term but those can only go so far with fundraising limits. And who is going to go doorknock for her?

People have no idea what they're talking about on financing campaigns anymore. You're absolutely right. People think "big money" is, well, big. It really, really isn't, in the age of ActBlue etc. It's wild how many people haven't noticed Dems outraising/outspending Rs basically everywhere ever in 2018, 2020, and 2022...and Indies have it much worse than Rs. Gallego will likely outraise her 5X or more every quarter, and the R will be way ahead of her as well. There is no ActBlue or WinRed for an independent candidate.

And you mentioned doorknocking, but, like I said in the other thread, she needs 42k signatures to get on the ballot. She'll need to pay signature gatherers, and they are expensive. No volunteers will touch this.

I think if she tries she PROBABLY gets on the ballot, but it's FAR from a sure thing.

And as we've learnt from other states (not sure what the specific AZ rules are) you generally need to have a good padding in case the signatures get challenged.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 09:15:24 AM »

Serious question on here

Does anyone else feel like Sinema has been a bit singeled out by the media and the left? Being "moderate" or "bipartisan" isn't inherently a bad thing, and she's actually been decently effective and has been a key part of every big piece of bipartisan legislation that has passed, and that's a really hard thing to understate. I was thinking about this the other day; if instead of Sinema you had a more progressive D, I rlly wonder if some of these things would've happened. She seems decently liked by a number of colleagues on both sides which is impressive.

Also a lot of Senators have issues with holding town halls and staying in touch back home, as well as outside money. Yes it's a huge problem in our politics, but it's not a problem specific to Sinema.

I also don't find Sinema's personal personality to be as bad or toxic as many here seem to think, though stuff like the dramatic thumbs down on the minimum wage incerase (which I also oppose) was uncalled for.

My biggest gripe with Sinema rlly is just how close she holds her cards to her chest; she doesn't really say where she stands. I feel like her citicism could also be a little more constructive; propose amendments or alternatives rather than just hard no.

Her problems seem to be much more with her optics (which are frankly terrible) rather than her policy, effectiveness, or her herself.

I feel like I'm having somewhat of a political identity crisis on this race and I've gone back and forth between really disliking Sinema and being ok with her (and go back and forth on being a full-fledged Gallego supporter or torn between Gallego and Sinema).

Regardless of if she drops out, no way she stays viable unless this is a FL-2010 Sen situation all over again, and I think I've decided I will support whoever ends up being the most viable between Gallego and Sinema, which will most likely be Gallego.

I don't agree; there's a lot of democratic senators who are relatively moderate or bipartisan.

Lets compare her to Manchin.

Someone like Manchin has a viable political reason & a backstory to make him sceptical of actions that hurt the coal industry.

Sinema has no valid reason to say fight for the carried interest loophole?!!Other than the fact that she was wooed by wall street. That's the reason I cannot stand her- it's identical to Joe Lieberman shooting down the public option for no obvious reason.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 01:35:22 AM »

People dunk on the democrats as being incompetent but it’s hilarious that the republicans have basically thrown away what 4 different elections in Arizona because they run such awful candidates?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 01:44:49 AM »

The point about losing candidates in the tweet is even more hilarious when you remember that both Georgia and Arizona saw the republicans lose two times because they nominated awful candidates in states that should have dozens of republicans wanting to run statewide.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 11:15:06 AM »

Amazing to see Arizona essentially doing a Virginia speed run
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies